Next Scotland Manager

Burley was shat on from the moment he came in and it rubbed off on the public. What he wore at his presser was a huge issue for he red tops. It was a joke how he was treated 
That's true. However, he was also fucking awful as Scotland manager.

4 hours ago, Gordopolis said:
5 hours ago, swing_kinker said:
 Burley was shat on from the moment he came in and it rubbed off on the public. What he wore at his presser was a huge issue for he red tops. It was a joke how he was treated 

That's true. However, he was also fucking awful as Scotland manager.

Sure but this was before he'd had a go day in he job. Hardly creates a good public atmosphere.  He media treated him terribly and a way they wouldn't dare with people like Walter Smith for smilaround things. 

if we do get Clarke, and I really hope it is confirmed tomorrow, it will be the first time we will have appointed a sought after manager who is still in the ascendancy in terms of his ability.....

To a man, we tend to appoint candidates with few or no other credible options at the time (McLeish, Smith, Vogts) and/or are very much in decline as managers (McLeish, Burley, Strachan, Levein)......

Both lists are interchangeable. I really think Clarke will do a fantastic job and its been a long time since a Scotland managerial appointment comes with that perceived confidence. 

15 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Major historical revisionism from Tam Cowan on Sportsound.

Apparently all previous appointments since Craig Brown drew strong criticism - maybe except Walter Smith whom he omitted - but everyone agrees Steve Clarke is the best man.

I don't remember it like that... e.g. Levein and Burley were, like Clarke, welcomed and were the best/most competent/rising reputation available Scots at the time. Limiting yourself to Scots.

None except Vogts had any international experience, either.

I like Off the Ball and both Tam and Stuart generally, but they are clowns when it comes to the national team. Despite the failings of pretty much all previous managers after Craig Brown, I don't think they have supported the sacking of any manager. They don't seem to believe the manager has any bearing on squad, first time pick, formations, tactics and motivation etc. they just trot out the argument that its the same old players that each manager has to manage. A ridiculous argument...... 

if we do get Clarke, and I really hope it is confirmed tomorrow, it will be the first time we will have appointed a sought after manager who is still in the ascendancy in terms of his ability.....
To a man, we tend to appoint candidates with few or no other credible options at the time (McLeish, Smith, Vogts) and/or are very much in decline as managers (McLeish, Burley, Strachan, Levein)......
Both lists are interchangeable. I really think Clarke will do a fantastic job and its been a long time since a Scotland managerial appointment comes with that perceived confidence. 
I like Off the Ball and both Tam and Stuart generally, but they are clowns when it comes to the national team. Despite the failings of pretty much all previous managers after Craig Brown, I don't think they have supported the sacking of any manager. They don't seem to believe the manager has any bearing on squad, first time pick, formations, tactics and motivation etc. they just trot out the argument that its the same old players that each manager has to manage. A ridiculous argument...... 

Levein absolutely was not in "decline" as a manager when he got the Scotland job. He revolutionised Dundee United both on and off the park and was highly sought after when he was offered the Scotland job.

He's younger than Steve Clarke too.

4 hours ago, H Wragg said:

I don't remember anything about this.

What was he wearing?

He wore a saltire tie......yup I don't see the issue either. Theno Gordon Smith decided to take what should have been an amazing and proud day for Burley and used it to have a rant about the media while George looked on confused 

45 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Levein absolutely was not in "decline" as a manager when he got the Scotland job. He revolutionised Dundee United both on and off the park and was highly sought after when he was offered the Scotland job.

He's younger than Steve Clarke too.

perhaps not in decline as some of the others but after his time at Leicester, he was no longer on the upward trajectory. his record at Utd was decent if unspectacular I would say, with top 6 finishes. In terms of being highly sought after, who else was he linked to? 

21 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Major historical revisionism from Tam Cowan on Sportsound.

Apparently all previous appointments since Craig Brown drew strong criticism - maybe except Walter Smith whom he omitted - but everyone agrees Steve Clarke is the best man.

I don't remember it like that... e.g. Levein and Burley were, like Clarke, welcomed and were the best/most competent/rising reputation available Scots at the time. Limiting yourself to Scots.

None except Vogts had any international experience, either.

Correct.

Tam Cowan now just talks rubbish on every single subject he touches.

He wore a saltire tie......yup I don't see the issue either. Theno Gordon Smith decided to take what should have been an amazing and proud day for Burley and used it to have a rant about the media while George looked on confused 
Yeah despite him being the worst Scotland manager I can remember results-wise, he was probably one of the nicest guys to hold the position. Definitely deserved better.

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:
2 hours ago, swing_kinker said:

Yeah despite him being the worst Scotland manager I can remember results-wise, he was probably one of the nicest guys to hold the position. Definitely deserved better.

Yea not defending his record but right from the start there was a stink hanging over his reign.  Then players started dissenting and the media backed he players!. Can you imagine hey dissented against lord Walter Smith?

A lot people suggesting Clarke has bid farewell to Kilmarnock fans after the match today.

I've not seen it myself to know if it's true though.

It was on the radio earlier.

Definitely sounded like he's off.

He said he was sorry he couldn't win a trophy at Kilmarnock, which was probably the most telling comment.

Fingers crossed Clarke takes it. His remit is to get the players together as a well drilled team before the Nations League playoff.

His stock would be very high if he manages to do that and it should be manageable.   

Clarke is probably the best of the Scottish options. I personally would have gone for somebody who’d successfully managed an international team before. It is clear that club and international management are two quite different beats. Will Clarke, known to be a world class coach, be as effective having less time to drill his players? He seems to do well in big ‘crunch’ games, which bodes well. I hope he doesn’t take any shite from the likes of Kieron Tierney who seem to find wee niggles around the international break but miraculously recover to play 90mins for their club. My only worry is he seems quite a stubborn type and my worry would be we may end up with another ‘Steven Fletcher’ type situation if he did take a tougher line.