Next Scotland Manager

3 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

This "Levein was shite so I don't want McInnes" logic is exactly the same as the "Vogts was shite so I don't want a foreigner" logic which rightfully gets pilloried on here.

This. Absolutely no comparison between Delightful Derek and Cringeworthy Craig.

7 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Whilst I think it's likely that Clarke will accept the job, I've got to agree that the SFA would do well to stop feeding their wee bum chums in newspapers with info during these processes. They don't need to tell folk there's a shortlist of 3, they don't need to divulge any info at all on those three, and you'd think after so publicly going after O'Neill they'd have learned. 

Funny how the leaks have changed direction. Back in the 1970s, Jock Stein had to call up a journalist at the Daily Record to make them run a story about him being interested in the job.

McInnes' success at Aberdeen is largely based on him being allocated a relatively large budget and spending that on players with a track record in Scotland or the English lower leagues. His Aberdeen team have consistently finished high up the league because they consistently beat the teams worse than them (which is most of them).

There's nothing wrong with any of that, but those achievements don't really translate to being a good Scotland manager. He's never struck me as a particularly good tactician or someone who gets results when it really counts in big games.

Drawing conclusions based on Levein might seem lazy, but there a lot more parallels between him and McInnes than Vogts and most foreign managers. Levein in 2009 had built his reputation on consistent performances in the SPL either side of a failed spell in England, much like McInnes. Again, like McInnes, this was built on a smart transfer policy and consistent results against lesser teams, rather than tactical nous or the ability to get results in big games.

It's also easy to forget that Levein was a popular choice at the time. Probably about as popular as Clarke is this time (there was even the same chat about how he'd never take the job because of his previous run-ins with the SFA). Funny how things change.

As for Clarke, he's been able to get a squad of players playing well above their previous level without making many changes and he consistently gets results against "better" teams. These achievements translate much better to being a good Scotland manager than Levein's or McInnes' IMO. 

9 hours ago, morrison1982 said:

Will it? Clarke's brother was saying the other day that nothing has come along yet.

That actually contradicts SC's comments in his pre Celtic presser where he stated he turned down 3 job offers since joining Killie.......

14 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

That actually contradicts SC's comments in his pre Celtic presser where he stated he turned down 3 job offers since joining Killie.......

They might have been relatively shite offers. 

I thought I read somewhere that they expected to know by today. I'm hoping this means it's Stevie Clarke and they're just holding off til after killie's game on Sunday to announce it. The prospect of Scott Gemmill gives me the absolute boak.

Just now, placidcasual said:

I thought I read somewhere that they expected to know by today. I'm hoping this means it's Stevie Clarke and they're just holding off til after killie's game on Sunday to announce it. The prospect of Scott Gemmill gives me the absolute boak.

It will be Clarke., unless of course he as last minute change of heart. 

1 hour ago, C4mmy31 said:

He also said one of them was Rangers. That leaves two other offers, which may or may not have been English, and didn't come to anything anyway.

Edited by morrison1982

2 hours ago, Mr Heliums said:

Funny how the leaks have changed direction. Back in the 1970s, Jock Stein had to call up a journalist at the Daily Record to make them run a story about him being interested in the job.

According to Archie Macpherson's book about Stein, he told Macpherson to say on TV that he "understood" Stein was interested in the Scotland job. Stein then sort of denied this on the radio the next morning ("Archie was flying a kite"). Different time and circumstances, of course. Scotland job was more prestigious, we usually qualified for World Cups, had top players, and Stein wasn't 100% happy at Leeds.

McInnes' success at Aberdeen is largely based on him being allocated a relatively large budget and spending that on players with a track record in Scotland or the English lower leagues. His Aberdeen team have consistently finished high up the league because they consistently beat the teams worse than them (which is most of them).
There's nothing wrong with any of that, but those achievements don't really translate to being a good Scotland manager. He's never struck me as a particularly good tactician or someone who gets results when it really counts in big games.
Drawing conclusions based on Levein might seem lazy, but there a lot more parallels between him and McInnes than Vogts and most foreign managers. Levein in 2009 had built his reputation on consistent performances in the SPL either side of a failed spell in England, much like McInnes. Again, like McInnes, this was built on a smart transfer policy and consistent results against lesser teams, rather than tactical nous or the ability to get results in big games.
It's also easy to forget that Levein was a popular choice at the time. Probably about as popular as Clarke is this time (there was even the same chat about how he'd never take the job because of his previous run-ins with the SFA). Funny how things change.
As for Clarke, he's been able to get a squad of players playing well above their previous level without making many changes and he consistently gets results against "better" teams. These achievements translate much better to being a good Scotland manager than Levein's or McInnes' IMO. 
I'd love a Scotland manager that consistently beats the lesser teams, the inability to do that is why the job's available in the first place.

9 hours ago, Honest_Ally said:

"The Scotland job will allow him to return to his family home in the south of England and that was a huge appeal.

As was, of course, the chance to manage his country."