Next Scotland Manager

54 minutes ago, Chicken George said:

Clarke can't be bothered with the Scottish League  game anymore and all the pish that goes with it. Will combine living down south with Scotland job, plan to get us to one of the next two major tournaments, then go to English club. 

Deal

3 hours ago, Rodhull said:

I'd imagine even if he took the managers job he could do it living down south. Pretty sure Strachan still did.

Jurgen klinsmann managed Germany whilst living in California, I believe. 

The ability to move down to England is probably a big pull factor for Clarke. 

Edited by sparky88

I suspect that Clarke will indeed be offered the gig.
I'm inclined to think he'll say No, in the hope that he gets a chance to move back down south for family reasons. Hopefully from Killie's point of view he'll stay put for the time being. 
No doubt that not for the first time, we'll end up with someone who would be 3rd or 4th choice on the SFA shortlist.
Surely he
can do the Scotland job from a English base it's not like he has to take training everyday and can watch the English based players easier.

2 hours ago, Superhursy7 said:

Surely he
can do the Scotland job from a English base it's not like he has to take training everyday and can watch the English based players easier.

McLeish and Strachan did.

3 hours ago, Superhursy7 said:

Surely he

Yeah, I don't see why not. Its not a full-on jobs that must be done in Scotland, half our players are down south anyway. 

Just me who think Clarke should stay at Kilmarnock?  The Scotland job is a hiding to nothing and he's onto a good thing there.

He’s clearly leaving Kilmarnock. That thing with his brother on the BBC the other day made it clear he wasn’t in for the long haul, and was actually pretty reticent in the first place.

I’d imagine he’d be looking at Scotland as a better way into English football than Kilmarnock.

12 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Just me who think Clarke should stay at Kilmarnock?  The Scotland job is a hiding to nothing and he's onto a good thing there.

What more can he realistically do with Kilmarnock?  If he gets third place and Europe with them this weekend then he'll have taken them as far as he can really. He's always said the Scotland job interests him, he was just waiting for the right time.  

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

What more can he realistically do with Kilmarnock?  If he gets third place and Europe with them this weekend then he'll have taken them as far as he can really. He's always said the Scotland job interests him, he was just waiting for the right time.  

Indeed but at the same time, what could he realistically do with Scotland?  It's a hiding to nothing.  I think if I was him I'd hold out for a job down south.  Continue as he is at Killie and one will undoubtedly come along.

2 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Indeed but at the same time, what could he realistically do with Scotland?  It's a hiding to nothing.  I think if I was him I'd hold out for a job down south.  Continue as he is at Killie and one will undoubtedly come along.

Wha? Take us to a major tournament for the first time in more than 20 years maybe?

5 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Qualify for a tournament, which in turn will give him a far higher profile in England than succeeding with Kilmarnock.

2 minutes ago, thruthenight said:

Wha? Take us to a major tournament for the first time in more than 20 years maybe?

2 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Qualify for a tournament, which in turn will give him a far higher profile in England than succeeding with Kilmarnock.

I think the chances of that happening are...not high.

Don't get me wrong, I think Clarke's a good manager - but Scotland are garbage.

Edited by Highland Capital

Scotland are no worse than some of the fucking dung that have reached tournaments recently. They've been managed by managers who have zero belief in the players at their disposal.

It's quite obvious that Clarke doesn't have that problem, and if he were even to come close this time, that'd be quite an achievement given the mess he's inheriting on that front.

21 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Will it? Clarke's brother was saying the other day that nothing has come along yet. The profile / reputation of Scottish football in England is basically nil. If Clarke doesn't want to take anything below the Championship, he could be waiting a long time.

Even if you completely discard the chance of us finishing in the top 2 of the group, we're still only 2 games from qualifying as we've got the play-offs up our sleeve. Looking like a home match against Finland (maybe Bulgaria as Serbia have a decent shot at qualifying directly) and then a final v Norway/Serbia/Finland. We'd be favourites in the home match and the final would depend on which venue was drawn, but those are 2 winnable games.

That makes the job a more attractive proposition than it has been for awhile IMO. The perception from down South will be that if you fail to get to a tournament, you've done as expected because we never qualify. And if you do the business, you've over-achieved. That's a very decent risk/reward for winning 2 matches.

29 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

I think the chances of that happening are...not high.

Don't get me wrong, I think Clarke's a good manager - but Scotland are garbage.

We’re already in a playoff which will be against other sides in League C of the Nations League. It’s the most realistic shot at qualifying we’re ever going to get.