Next Scotland Manager

I suspect that Clarke will indeed be offered the gig.

I'm inclined to think he'll say No, in the hope that he gets a chance to move back down south for family reasons. Hopefully from Killie's point of view he'll stay put for the time being. 

No doubt that not for the first time, we'll end up with someone who would be 3rd or 4th choice on the SFA shortlist.

9 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I suspect that Clarke will indeed be offered the gig.

I'm inclined to think he'll say No, in the hope that he gets a chance to move back down south for family reasons. Hopefully from Killie's point of view he'll stay put for the time being. 

No doubt that not for the first time, we'll end up with someone who would be 3rd or 4th choice on the SFA shortlist.

I'd imagine even if he took the managers job he could do it living down south. Pretty sure Strachan still did.

3 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

I'd imagine even if he took the managers job he could do it living down south. Pretty sure Strachan still did.

You're probably right, but I seem to recall he was criticised for that, and for not watching enough home based players.

I definitely agree with this. I couldn't care less whether the right man comes from Scotland or Tasmania.
I think that Clarke's record at Kilmarnock of getting a lot out of a group using smart motivation and tactics while requiring very little in the transfer market suggests that he could take to international football well.

Just to labour this point, the Killie team who started on Saturday featured 8 players who were at the club when he took over. Had Broadfoot not been suspended that may have been 9.

My biggest issue with him will be whether he is able to get his ideas across when he only gets to spend 5 or 6 days at a time with his players. The current Killie team is organised to within an inch of their lives, but that didn't quite happen overnight.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Nah, he's got a free hit at this qualifying campaign IMO - the damage is done with that Kazakhstan result.  The Nations League is next June, that gives him a full year to prepare for that and get his methods across. If he can't inspire us to a win over Finland after a year in the job then I'll agree with you that he's not suited to this job.

If Clarke is as good as I think he is getting results against Russia shouldn't be a problem for me Scotland have the players to do it.

Edited by wastecoatwilly

Just to labour this point, the Killie team who started on Saturday featured 8 players who were at the club when he took over. Had Broadfoot not been suspended that may have been 9.

My biggest issue with him will be whether he is able to get his ideas across when he only gets to spend 5 or 6 days at a time with his players. The current Killie team is organised to within an inch of their lives, but that didn't quite happen overnight.

Would be very creepy if it had, to be fair.

11 minutes ago, TavTastic said:

Is there no way that Clarke, Killie and the SFA can come to an arrangement so that Clarke can be both Killie and Scotland manager at the same time?

Not sure there'd be any appetite for it, and I'm not sure who really wins in the situation.

In an ideal world, you wouldn't really need to have a dedicated manager with this is a full-time job.  I'd envision having the manager put together a team of staff he can trust, much larger than the 3 or 4 we've seen in the past.  They're more or less full-time scouts, but with a bit of coaching knowledge tacked on, and they will be giving the manager as much coverage on watching eligible players as is possible to get.  So that when it comes to picking the squad, it's a meeting with his entire team, a selection based on that, and then he turns up with the squad to do his part of the deal.  So outside of international windows, he's effectively doing nothing other than a quick check-up.

However, even with that, what benefit does it bring to Kilmarnock (or any club in a hypothetical example)?  Their manager is always going to have his attention slightly elsewhere.  Does he favour Scottish players due to his other role?  Or even (stretching a bit) favour players on other teams?  Obviously a professional manager would surely do a professional job, but there would still be the same worries from the club in question.

2 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Would be very creepy if it had, to be fair.

"Steve Clarke and Killie in Automaton HORROR"

"...when we took their faces off, it was just circuitry..."

"...we think Boyd may have eaten the real players..."

16 minutes ago, TavTastic said:

Is there no way that Clarke, Killie and the SFA can come to an arrangement so that Clarke can be both Killie and Scotland manager at the same time?

It would mean Clarke wouldn't be the one watching players before he picks his squad. It would also mean Clarke working an obscene amount of time.  I don't think that's the best solution for anyone.

3 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

If Clarke is as good as I think he is getting results against Russia shouldn't be a problem for me Scotland have the players to do it.

I don't think it's impossible for us to qualify through the group, just that we won't be expecting Clarke to do so. He'll have at least another full qualifying campaign after this one IMO.

"Steve Clarke and Killie in Automaton HORROR"

"...when we took their faces off, it was just circuitry..."

"...we think Boyd may have eaten the real players..."

I was thinking more of slicing up eyeballs and all that. But yeah, electrical circuitry would be another possible explanation. Perhaps Scotland Gemmill is more of a Luis Bunuel kind of a guy.

1 hour ago, Rodhull said:

...as did Alex McLeish...

3 Match touchline ban for Mr Clarke. Great timing!

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

I agree, but we won't know until we find out. The national gig would also allow him to spend more time with his family, and if as his brother suggests he hasn't been offered much south of the border that will factor into his thinking.

4 hours ago, Estragon said:

McInnes routinely bottles big games, and fails to get results against bigger sides.  Both of which are vital for the Scotland boss, I honestly don't know why he was ever quoted as being in the running.

Just as well for us that games against Killie aren’t big 

5 hours ago, Estragon said:

Of course I am, but that doesn't change my opinion on whether Derek McInnes was ever offered it. 

FWIW I don't think either are the right fit for the national job, SC is a training ground manager who's successes have come from painstaking and incremental work with a limited number of players.  He also pretty much treats the media with open disdain which I don't feel is particularly suitable to the position.  He does have experience working with big clubs and big players, which is perhaps a positive in terms of getting guys to be regularly joining squads.

McInnes routinely bottles big games, and fails to get results against bigger sides.  Both of which are vital for the Scotland boss, I honestly don't know why he was ever quoted as being in the running.

Which is fair enough.  Our media are, with a few exceptions, a bunch of cretins with the combined intellect of a shoe.  They deserve to be treated with nothing other than utter contempt.