Next Scotland Manager

1 minute ago, ONeils4Oyarder said:

nope...me too. A lazy, lazy appointment from the SFA, again

Clarke has done well with Killie, but if thats the blueprint for success nowadays then we are in bother.

I don't mind if its Clarke because I think he is a good manager that is capable of getting the best out of a limited group of players. I'd also have taken McInnes, they are the best of the three options. Gemmill is a complete catastrophe of a choice and even having him on the short-list is a travesty.  

Yes, this is again a case of the SFA not even trying to look beyond the end of their nose or even trying to sound out a manager who has actual experience managing at International level. They seem utterly stuck at trying to find someone who is already in the Scottish game which I find baffling as managing in Scotland is utterly irrelevant to managing the international team. People have said in the past that nobody from abroad is interested in managing Scotland but we wouldn't know, because the SFA are too fucking scared to look at anyone and ask them. 

7 minutes ago, Andre Bo said:

Who would excite/sufficiently whelm you, lads?

I've always said I want a manager with two things - International experience, and preferably international experience of qualifying for a major tournament.  That's the only way you can be something even approaching confident that, when put into an International job, they'll at least know the role.That's not to say it's the be-all-and-end-all, of course.  You could put a successful international manager in the role and he tanks, but we've consistently failed to do anything along these lines, just picking a meh Scottish appointment who has done alright at club level.  And, funnily enough, they find being an international manager a lot different.  And it goes wrong.

Further to that, but less important in my mind, is that the SFA just seem so staunchly loyal to the manager being Scottish.  That'd be fine if the options within our country were strong, but we're consistently weakening ourselves with the policy given all of the options are, again, pretty unexciting for me. 

Again, I'm not saying Clarke will be the same, but until he's telling the rest of the teams in our group to GIRUY after qualifying, I'll always have that worry.  I want whoever goes into the role to be a success, and Clarke has the best chance of that.  

9 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Scotsman saying it's Clarke. 

"barring any hitches in negotiations" ....Pretty sure they felt they had Michael O'neill as well.  

Bilic was my hope but SFA would never stump the cash

Edited by PrestersKTID

Clarke for me also, apart from the excellent job he's done at Killie he's still one of the highest regarded coaches in the game and comes across very well off the pitch as well.

He's also nobody's fool and will be able to handle the SFA suits and also any players who are attempting to get above themselves.........

57 minutes ago, Estragon said:

Of course I am, but that doesn't change my opinion on whether Derek McInnes was ever offered it. 

FWIW I don't think either are the right fit for the national job, SC is a training ground manager who's successes have come from painstaking and incremental work with a limited number of players.  He also pretty much treats the media with open disdain which I don't feel is particularly suitable to the position.  He does have experience working with big clubs and big players, which is perhaps a positive in terms of getting guys to be regularly joining squads.

McInnes routinely bottles big games, and fails to get results against bigger sides.  Both of which are vital for the Scotland boss, I honestly don't know why he was ever quoted as being in the running.

Ok. 

Well slap me silly and call me darlin', are the SFA finally going to appoint a competent manager? :o

Re the underwhelming comments: of course there were much better unemployed candidates, but, in reality, they weren't going to pick anyone who wasn't Scottish, so, naturally, Steve Clarke has got to be the no. 1 choice. 

30 minutes ago, ONeils4Oyarder said:

nope...me too. A lazy, lazy appointment from the SFA, again

Clarke has done well with Killie, but if thats the blueprint for success nowadays then we are in bother.

Obviously that's not all he's done in football.

15 minutes ago, ONeils4Oyarder said:

Yes, thats correct, he finished 7th with WBA and was then sacked...oh, aye, he also coached at Liverpool for a wee while

And took Reading to an FA Cup semi-final and was a coach at Chelsea under Mourinho. But apart from that, what has Steve Clarke ever done for us.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

And took Reading to an FA Cup semi-final and was a coach at Chelsea under Mourinho. But apart from that, what has Steve Clarke ever done for us.

He tried to turn Andy Halliday into a newt! :angry::angry: 

1 hour ago, Estragon said:

FWIW I don't think either are the right fit for the national job, SC is a training ground manager who's successes have come from painstaking and incremental work with a limited number of players.  He also pretty much treats the media with open disdain which I don't feel is particularly suitable to the position.  He does have experience working with big clubs and big players, which is perhaps a positive in terms of getting guys to be regularly joining squads.

I'd argue that painstaking and incremental work with a limited number of players is the exact job description of the Scotland manager.

Just now, The Moonster said:

I'd argue that painstaking and incremental work with a limited number of players is the exact job description of the Scotland manager.

There's absolutely no time or patience for it though.  He'll be conclusively judged in less than a dozen games, what's that - 2/3 months of league football?

5 minutes ago, Estragon said:

There's absolutely no time or patience for it though.  He'll be conclusively judged in less than a dozen games, what's that - 2/3 months of league football?

Nah, he's got a free hit at this qualifying campaign IMO - the damage is done with that Kazakhstan result.  The Nations League is next June, that gives him a full year to prepare for that and get his methods across. If he can't inspire us to a win over Finland after a year in the job then I'll agree with you that he's not suited to this job.

58 minutes ago, forameus said:

Further to that, but less important in my mind, is that the SFA just seem so staunchly loyal to the manager being Scottish. 

I definitely agree with this. I couldn't care less whether the right man comes from Scotland or Tasmania.

I think that Clarke's record at Kilmarnock of getting a lot out of a group using smart motivation and tactics while requiring very little in the transfer market suggests that he could take to international football well.