Next Scotland Manager

Absolutely none of the names being linked at the minute fill me with anything close to confidence. If we can’t get Steve Clarke or Bilic jist close the doors IMO.

New Zealand hardly ever qualify for the World Cup because they generally have to beat a much bigger nation from another continent in a play-off.
Not from 2026 they won't. I expect a lot of players will find New Zealander grannies every four years.

3 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:
16 hours ago, craigkillie said:
New Zealand hardly ever qualify for the World Cup because they generally have to beat a much bigger nation from another continent in a play-off.

Not from 2026 they won't. I expect a lot of players will find New Zealander grannies every four years.

It was bad enough when Australia were still in Oceania as at least New Zealand could occasionally give them a game. Now giving Oceania a guaranteed spot is identical to giving New Zealand a bye into the tournament.

If WC places were actually decided on the merit of the continents' performances, you'd be looking at almost all of South America plus half of Europe. Africa, North America and Asia would have a couple of teams each. Oceania could get in the ocean.

Edited by nsr

6 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

So what if Oceania is utter dross? That's not New Zealand's fault and they all have the same right to the competition as any other country.

Said for ages we should apply to qualify through Oceania.

The problem is countries like them and Australia and the USA have more right than countries like Scotland who have a much more difficult route.  You're correct it should be the same right, but it's not.  Uefa countries are discriminated against.

Having a look at the qualifiers, Austria have also had a terrible start, losing 4-2 away to Israel, who we all know about. I think Israel are a dark horse here. They were very impressive against us in the Nations League. They will have been disappointed to draw at home to Slovenia though, I'd imagine. 

9 minutes ago, Kuro said:

The problem is countries like them and Australia and the USA have more right than countries like Scotland who have a much more difficult route.  You're correct it should be the same right, but it's not.  Uefa countries are discriminated against.

This is an interesting debate, albeit one that has no real conclusion.  Whether the WC should be contested between the 32 best teams on the planet, or whether there should be attempts made to make it as globally diverse as possible.  FIFA, for now, seems to lean towards the latter, but both arguments have merit IMO.

16 hours ago, Caley Shaun said:

Marc Wilmots under consideration so, surely he will become the new favourite soon because his pedigree is better than Bruce Arena.  In fact, if he's on the shortlist as The Sun report then, he must be favourite ahead of Steve Clarke or second favourite just behind Steve. 

I would be happy with Marc Wilmots but his lack of English would be a worry. 

A lack of anything English is never a bad thing. 

16 minutes ago, Estragon said:

This is an interesting debate, albeit one that has no real conclusion.  Whether the WC should be contested between the 32 best teams on the planet, or whether there should be attempts made to make it as globally diverse as possible.  FIFA, for now, seems to lean towards the latter, but both arguments have merit IMO.

I prefer the latter personally, for the same reasons as I'd rather less of the "top 4 from each of the top leagues" entering into the champions league. Some people would rather see an effectively closed shop in the CL but with better teams. I'd rather more variation of teams to keep it interesting, and its the same as the world cup. I think the number of people that share my views on that, especially the CL bit, are slowly fading away mind. 

38 minutes ago, Kuro said:

He won a tournament over six games with Germany.  The rest of his entire managerial career is mediocre.

So Euro 96 was an easy tourny for Germany then aye? We know the rest of his career isn't the best but he won that in 96 which is more than Moyes has ever done, that's the point several people have tried pointing out to you.

48 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

Having a look at the qualifiers, Austria have also had a terrible start, losing 4-2 away to Israel, who we all know about. I think Israel are a dark horse here. They were very impressive against us in the Nations League. They will have been disappointed to draw at home to Slovenia though, I'd imagine. 

No, they weren't impressive.  Scotland were just god awful.  

10 minutes ago, Jaggy Snake said:

When the SFA interview potential managers the first question should be, how would you deal with this nonsense?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48135621

Anyone who is unable to give an adequate response can be thanked for their time and shown out immediately.

What would your answer be?

3 minutes ago, SlipperyP said:

Presumably; don't have the operation that trained medical staff and your employers have advised you that you need.  Instead, go away and play football for free and risk further injury.  

1 hour ago, SlipperyP said:

It's slightly beside the point but my answer would include:

• Discuss with the club (Celtic) why, if the surgery is required and important, is the player still being used in club matches.
  • Discuss with the club manager (Lennon) why the player’s availability for future Scotland matches is being discussed regularly with the press whilst the player remains fit and available for club games (assuming the club isn’t having regular discussions regarding the injury with the SFA).
  • Discuss with the player (Tierney) his recent call offs and assess his views to playing for Scotland.

I’m not asking for any lines to be drawn in the sand (eg if Tierney pulls out the squad he won’t be called up again) but, I would like to know a managers approach and thoughts on players prioritising club football over international. Even if you’re not bothered by this issue you have to recognise the press will ask any Scotland manager endless questions about it, so surely you would want to gauge their opinion on it.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

Presumably; don't have the operation that trained medical staff and your employers have advised you that you need.  Instead, go away and play football for free and risk further injury.  

The operation is recommended but can't be critical as the article indicates Tierney will play for Celtic this weekend in a relatively unimportant game. They are 9 points ahead with 3 games remaining and clearly don't need him to win the league.

If I was a Celtic fan I'd be questioning why the club were risking further injury instead of ending his season now, allowing the surgery to take place immediately and giving him more time to get ready for Celtic's early European qualifiers.

Edited by Jaggy Snake