Next Scotland Manager

3 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Moyes is a decent manager and obviously an upgrade on mcleish.

Don't really think his defensive stuffy style really suits the squad we have tho.

That's my one concern, but he is a competent coach I'm sure he can adapt to the players available.

His CV shits all over McLeish's, or Levein's or Burley's or even Strachan's, or Vogts or Roxburgh or Brown.  Walter Smith is the only one close, Strachan kind of, but Smith never did anything outside Scotland and realistically my mum could have won several titles with Rangers in those days.

Shits all over Vogts? Er... 1996 Euro win kind of shits all over Moyes complete lack of trophies.

Just now, Gordopolis said:

Shits all over Vogts? Er... 1996 Euro win kind of shits all over Moyes complete lack of trophies.

One tournament with a brilliant team.  Have a look at his managerial record, he's nowhere near Moyes' league.

I am going to try and defend David Moyes here but I doubt it will be enough to change your opinion on him lol. 

At Preston and Everton, he was very successful so on both occasions he deserved the step up and, tbh, if SIR ALEX recommended him to Utd, that tells its own story, he must have been doing something right.  I think maybe he left Goodison to early though, maybe he should have stayed another couple of seasons there then go to Man U. 

Imho, at Real Sociedad, he wasn't really given much time but I think he maybe regrets taking that job. At West Ham, he saved them from the drop which was a success imho so I believe he should have been given the next season too, if things were not going well and WHU were in another relegation dogfight then resign.  

And Sunderland, the least said about that the better but nearly everyone before him struggled there and even now, Jack Ross is living on borrowed time (do not be surprised if he is sacked in the next few days). That job is a poisoned chalice. 

So all in all, if we get the competent Moyes of his Everton or Preston days, we should be fine. 

One tournament with a brilliant team.  Have a look at his managerial record, he's nowhere near Moyes' league.

Germany's '96 team was good but far from brilliant. Holland , England, France and others were well within the same echelon as them at that tourney

1 hour ago, Caley Shaun said:

I would be happy with Bruce Arena as long as he appointed a Scottish coach or assistant to help him with knowledge of the Scottish game etc.  Imho, he's better than Sven Goran Eriksson, Dick Advocaat or Avram Grant, all of who have been mentioned in the last week. 

Anyway, BBC reporting that an appointment is imminent (a fortnight mentioned on their Twitter account) so that rules out Derek McInnes, Steve Clarke or Jack Ross as they'll all be under contract. 

So, for me it is going to be either David Moyes or Bruce Arena. 

The season is finished in just over a fortnight, so I don't see how an imminent appointment would rule out any of those guys.

It's also ludicrous to suggest that Bruce Arena would be a better option than Dick Advocaat. Advocaat has had a successful career all over the world at club and international level and also has some insight into the Scottish game. Arena has never worked outside the USA and has nothing like the same pedigree as a manager.

The season is finished in just over a fortnight, so I don't see how an imminent appointment would rule out any of those guys.
It's also ludicrous to suggest that Bruce Arena would be a better option than Dick Advocaat. Advocaat has had a successful career all over the world at club and international level and also has some insight into the Scottish game. Arena has never worked outside the USA and has nothing like the same pedigree as a manager.
Yeah Arena sounds like a big-ish name but a wee glance at his record kind of snuffs out that flame.
Let's not go foreign for the sake of going foreign - it's got to be the right appointment

Arena would be a disaster, he's a yesterday's man with no experience of European football. He was running the UEFA qualifiers down recently before he failed to qualify from the free pass that is CONCACAF as recently as 18 months ago.

10 hours ago, nsr said:

Perhaps, but I wouldn't want us to qualify for something and automatically assume all of our problems are sorted and everything is rosy again. We've seen teams like Hungary and Albania reach the Euros in recent years and they haven't exactly cracked on since.

Yeah, I get where you're coming from.  

For me one of the most important things is getting people to actually want to represent us again, to see a call-up to the Scotland squad as a good thing, an honour.  I'm not sure it really is to anyone anymore.  England were the same, but suddenly after a wee bit of success things look better for them.  If we manage to improve that a little, and then qualify for a tournament, maybe younger players start seeing us as a pinnacle to reach, rather than a hindrance that stops you taking your holidays.