Next Scotland Manager

8 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

1.33  (Bilic) vs 0.85 (Moyes) for West Ham.

I don't think Moyes would be a poor choice necessarily but I'd start with the stats & then weight them however is seen fit before talking about 'good fit for the team' etc. Bilic also has international management experience which Moyes doesn't.

That's complete rubbish. Moyes took over West Ham on 7 November 2017 - when they had 9 points from 11 games. They finished the season with 42 from 38, so they took 33 points from 27 games under him (about 1.2 per game). I've no idea how you work out that "0.85" figure.

Bruce Arena has never managed outside of the United States.

He'd success with their national team 15-20 years ago and his recent stint included winning the Gold Cup (albeit in workmanlike fashion and without facing Mexico).

However he also took them to 2nd bottom of a 6-team WC qualifying section behind Costa Rica, Panama and Honduras consequently missing-out even on a playoff.

If it was to be a foreign manager then he's a surprise tip, IMO.

24 minutes ago, Principal Flutie said:

Was he not the manager for that delightful showing during USA's last WCQs?

It was Klinsmann at the start. Arena took over after they had started badly and Klinsmann was sacked, but it didn't get any better under him. Failing to qualify with USA in Concacaf is ridiculous. It's arguably worse than one of the big countries failing to qualify in UEFA, because at least in a European group you can have the excuse of having a tough draw or something.

7 hours ago, nsr said:

We probably need to stop thinking in terms of "will this guy get us to a tournament?" and more in terms of "can this guy start sorting out some of our more long-term problems?". There is of course a limit to how much can be fixed by someone in the manager's role.

Nail on the head .

8 hours ago, forameus said:

At the same time though, I think a lot of our long term problems could be solved by getting to a tournament.  It's not the be all and end all, but it's a massive deal in a lot of areas

Perhaps, but I wouldn't want us to qualify for something and automatically assume all of our problems are sorted and everything is rosy again. We've seen teams like Hungary and Albania reach the Euros in recent years and they haven't exactly cracked on since.

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

Bruce Arena has never managed outside of the United States.

He'd success with their national team 15-20 years ago and his recent stint included winning the Gold Cup (albeit in workmanlike fashion and without facing Mexico).

However he also took them to 2nd bottom of a 6-team WC qualifying section behind Costa Rica, Panama and Honduras consequently missing-out even on a playoff.

If it was to be a foreign manager then he's a surprise tip, IMO.

1 hour ago, morrison1982 said:

It was Klinsmann at the start. Arena took over after they had started badly and Klinsmann was sacked, but it didn't get any better under him. Failing to qualify with USA in Concacaf is ridiculous. It's arguably worse than one of the big countries failing to qualify in UEFA, because at least in a European group you can have the excuse of having a tough draw or something.

They needed a draw in their final game away to T&T who had lost 8/9 and already cemented bottom place.

They lost

:lol:

His CV shits all over McLeish's, or Levein's or Burley's or even Strachan's, or Vogts or Roxburgh or Brown.  Walter Smith is the only one close, Strachan kind of, but Smith never did anything outside Scotland and realistically my mum could have won several titles with Rangers in those days.

I would be happy with Bruce Arena as long as he appointed a Scottish coach or assistant to help him with knowledge of the Scottish game etc.  Imho, he's better than Sven Goran Eriksson, Dick Advocaat or Avram Grant, all of who have been mentioned in the last week. 

Anyway, BBC reporting that an appointment is imminent (a fortnight mentioned on their Twitter account) so that rules out Derek McInnes, Steve Clarke or Jack Ross as they'll all be under contract. 

So, for me it is going to be either David Moyes or Bruce Arena.