Next Scotland Manager

12 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

It's almost as if club management and international management require different skill sets.

Actually no, it's actually that Sunderland were an utter shambles and Guardoila wouldn't have kept them up, so Moyes getting relegated with them is no reflection at all on his abilities.

34 minutes ago, Kuro said:

Interestingly enough, people on here saying Moyes did a bad job at at Sunderland as he got them relegated fro m the premiership so that means he shouldn't manage Scotland.  Well, Chris Coleman, who the year before had taken Wales to the semis of the Euros, was the manager who got them relegated from the Championship the following season.  

Sometimes managers are just a good fit for a certain job. Coleman has a patchy club record but was a tremendous manager for Wales and could have been Wales manager for life if he wanted to.

9 hours ago, Stelling said:

Advocaat getting the job then swiftly proceeding to select no rangers players would provoke a delicious level of headsgones from a certain section.

Make it happen.

There are almost no Rangers players to pick. McGregor and Jack are the only Scottish first team regulars, with Halliday popping up every now and then.

5 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

There are almost no Rangers players to pick. McGregor and Jack are the only Scottish first team regulars, with Halliday popping up every now and then.

McRorie will start to be.picked as a squad player soon.  After McTominay he's probably the next best DM we have right now.  They also might sign one or two this summer llike John Souttar.

Edited by Kuro

3 hours ago, TheIntenseHummingOfEvil said:

Sometimes managers are just a good fit for a certain job. Coleman has a patchy club record but was a tremendous manager for Wales and could have been Wales manager for life if he wanted to.

Exactly.  That's why I'm not overly bothered by who gets it unless it's Malky. How many times have highly touted gone to another job and failed miserably? And vice versa . It just clicks sometimes 

Edited by swing_kinker

Exactly.  That's why I'm not overly bothered by who gets it unless it's Malky. How many times have highly touted gone to another job and failed miserably? And vice versa . It just clicks sometimes 
I've been saying this for years.

The amount of unknowns in football is massive. Yes you want to use good judgement and look at the evidence to try and get a good fit. Certain teams and nations do better with certain managerial and tactical styles.

But absolutely nothing is guaranteed. There's too many variables.

I think a Brendan Rodgers type manager would be terrible for Scotland but you never know. I think we need the type who can organise a team well, get the most out of average players, and somehow still create an attacking option that gives us a chance to score goals and play with a wee touch of swagger.

It's like searching for the holy grail.

17 minutes ago, swing_kinker said:

On paper (at the time of their appointments) Levein and Burley both looked very decent appointments and I don't think too many people were disappointed.

However, it turned out that doing good work at club level doesn't necessarily mean they're suited to international management. 

David Moyes at both Celtic v Kilmarnock, and St Mirren v St Johnstone, you could argue hes just going to games for something to do, but who would choose St Mirren v St Johnstone for enjoyment...

David Moyes at both Celtic v Kilmarnock, and St Mirren v St Johnstone, you could argue hes just going to games for something to do, but who would choose St Mirren v St Johnstone for enjoyment...

I doubt he’d be going to that game to scout which St Johnstone players he will ignore.

3 hours ago, TheIntenseHummingOfEvil said:

On paper (at the time of their appointments) Levein and Burley both looked very decent appointments and I don't think too many people were disappointed.

However, it turned out that doing good work at club level doesn't necessarily mean they're suited to international management. 

But then again they might be at another country at another time which is my point.  Just sometimes click and other times it doesn't 

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

They put up a caption Sky Sports that he had been managed by Billy McNeill, so he might have decided to head along for that game and then just taking up a second one because he could.

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

They put up a caption Sky Sports that he had been managed by Billy McNeill, so he might have decided to head along for that game and then just taking up a second one because he could.

Probably, Michael O'Neill was at the match too, but his link with the two managers is obvious. 

I hope we're seeing this big game of one-upmanship from everyone interested in the job.  Bilic turning up at the Pyramid Playoff, only to find out that Wilmots is at some field a million miles from anywhere watching an 18th tier juniors game.

1 hour ago, forameus said:

I hope we're seeing this big game of one-upmanship from everyone interested in the job.  Bilic turning up at the Pyramid Playoff, only to find out that Wilmots is at some field a million miles from anywhere watching an 18th tier juniors game.

Too bad Fort William finished up for the season today otherwise Advocaat would have been at their next home game.

On 25/04/2019 at 14:21, Kuro said:

Real Madrid are the biggest supported team in the world and could buy Man Utd tomorrow.  There's no dispute, they are by far the world's number one club.  Thirteen CL wins doesn't lie, all the best players in the world, every transfer record.  Man Utd aren't even close to them, not even in the same league.  You won't see Ashley fucking Young captaining Real Madrid any time soon.  Man Utd aren't even second.

Remind me again, was it Real Madrid or Man Utd that just won the CL for the third time in a row?

Yup, you’ve don’t leave this island that often clearly