Next Scotland Manager

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

The question (as I posed above) is whether he has lost whatever it was that he had in his Preston and Everton days, and whether he can come back from the multiple disappointments he's had since then. The weird thing is that he's only 56, so he still has time on his side.

He was alright with West Ham last season. They finished 13th, 33 points from 27 games under him after Bilic had been sacked in early November. Pellegrini hasn't done much better this season (11th, 43 points from 35) with a fair amount of backing in the market.

Not sure if I’ve said this on here already (possibly ignored due to being shite) but what about Bielsa if Leeds don’t go up?

Not saying he would definitely leave them for us even if they stay down in any case.

Didn't he apply or at least show interest when McLeish was given the job???

4 hours ago, honestman54 said:

As a Preston N E fan I can say that he was good there ONLY because he took on a team left by someone else.  He could not/did not bring players or the team on.  It was only on the word of Alex Ferguson that he got the MAN U job.  He did nothing at Everton except keep them where they were.  So imo he has not energy to motivate or develop teams so I couldnt see him do a Scotland job.

Shut up, he was eleven years at Everton with an average league position of 5th.  He did an absolutely stunning job there, utterly brilliant.

Edited by Kuro

6 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
1 hour ago, morrison1982 said:
That's complete nonsense. He had minimal backing because Fenerbahce were under FFP sanctions.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46883617

It's not nonsense at all. I wasn't talking about financial backing. Koç stuck by him and praised him in the press long after he should have been emptied.

"Backing from the board" normally involves financial backing.

2 hours ago, morrison1982 said:

He was alright with West Ham last season. They finished 13th, 33 points from 27 games under him after Bilic had been sacked in early November. Pellegrini hasn't done much better this season (11th, 43 points from 35) with a fair amount of backing in the market.

West Ham have had major injury problems throughout the season. There are usually at least 8 or 9 first-team players out for each game. 

Reid, Sanchez, Wilshire, Yarmolenko and Lanzini have missed most of the season. Pellegrini has done well without them. 

It might not be so much of a he’s lost what he and so much as a football has moved on sort of thing with Moyes. Out of the Scottish candidates Moyes and Clarke are the standouts, not that the competition is any great shakes.

9 hours ago, craigkillie said:

The question (as I posed above) is whether he has lost whatever it was that he had in his Preston and Everton days, and whether he can come back from the multiple disappointments he's had since then. The weird thing is that he's only 56, so he still has time on his side.

This is it with Moyes.  I can't deny he's had success in the past, that much is obvious, but he's been utterly haunted since entering the Man Utd job.  He just seems a very...meh appointment.  He's not the worst shout by any means, but he's hardly exciting, particularly when there's the worry that, like you say, he's lost something.

Plus I always worry about semi-successful club managers coming into this role.  It's never a guarantee of quality at International level.  I'd like to see him get a few more jobs at club level.  He's still relatively young, like you say, so maybe the job is a target in the future once he's further rebuilt his reputation.

6 minutes ago, forameus said:

This is it with Moyes.  I can't deny he's had success in the past, that much is obvious, but he's been utterly haunted since entering the Man Utd job.  He just seems a very...meh appointment.  He's not the worst shout by any means, but he's hardly exciting, particularly when there's the worry that, like you say, he's lost something.

Plus I always worry about semi-successful club managers coming into this role.  It's never a guarantee of quality at International level.  I'd like to see him get a few more jobs at club level.  He's still relatively young, like you say, so maybe the job is a target in the future once he's further rebuilt his reputation.

The thing is he only needs to rebuild his reputation in your eyes.  And maybe you're wrong.  I don't think he's done a bad job in any job he's ever had, and is an extremely competent manager.  He would be a very solid appointment, and on paper the best manager we've had since Alex Ferguson and Stein before him.

Interesting fact about Moyes his dad was manager at Petershill or something for fkn years.  

8 minutes ago, Kuro said:

The thing is he only needs to rebuild his reputation in your eyes.  And maybe you're wrong.  I don't think he's done a bad job in any job he's ever had, and is an extremely competent manager.  He would be a very solid appointment, and on paper the best manager we've had since Alex Ferguson and Stein before him.

Interesting fact about Moyes his dad was manager at Petershill or something for fkn years.  

Yeah, the thing about posting something like I did on an internet forum is that *GASP* it's my opinion.  So I imagine anything I said would be "in my eyes".  Really well spotted though, you clever thing.

Just like you saying that you don't think he's done a bad job in any job he's ever had.  In your eyes.  And maybe you're wrong.  Particularly since having left Everton, he's only left 2 jobs of his own accord, and been sacked from the rest.  Even Sunderland is questionable, as he initially said he wanted to stay (having spent most of the season telling every media source that there was no way the club he was managing wasn't going to get relegated) before "resigning".  10 months into a 6 year contract at United.  1 year into an 18 month contract at Sociedad.    So aye, not bad there, right?

He has done some terrific jobs in the past, but let's not pretend like he's been anywhere close to what he's capable of for years.  One OK job at West Ham doesn't change that.

Edited by forameus

Just now, forameus said:

Yeah, the thing about posting something like I did on an internet forum is that *GASP* it's my opinion.  So I imagine anything I said would be "in my eyes".  Really well spotted though, you clever thing.

Just like you saying that you don't think he's done a bad job in any job he's ever had.  In your eyes.  And maybe you're wrong.  Particularly since having left Everton, he's left half of his own accord, and been sacked from the rest.  Sunderland is questionable, as he initially said he wanted to stay (having spent most of the season telling every media source that there was no way the club he was managing wasn't going to get relegated) before "resigning".  10 months into a 6 year contract at United.  1 year into an 18 month contract at Sociedad.    So aye, not bad there, right?

He has done some terrific jobs in the past, but let's not pretend like he's been anywhere close to what he's capable of for years.  One OK job at West Ham doesn't change that.

Sunderland got relegated from the Championship the following season.  Sociedad he was mid table after a few months in a new country.  These aren't bad jobs he's done.  All managers get sacked its part of the job.

Interestingly enough, people on here saying Moyes did a bad job at at Sunderland as he got them relegated fro m the premiership so that means he shouldn't manage Scotland.  Well, Chris Coleman, who the year before had taken Wales to the semis of the Euros, was the manager who got them relegated from the Championship the following season.