Next Scotland Manager

Dick Advocaat would be an incredible appointment IMO. Vastly experienced with international football, largely been a successful manager and out of the foreign candidates has some experience of Scottish football (Which most would point out as a foreign candidates 'weak point'). The fact that he'd be willing to surround himself with a young Scottish backroom staff would be an excellent learning platform.

He could be our Trapattoni and set the building blocks for years to come even if he's not a success himself.

13 hours ago, DavidMcG said:

Its on Stv that Wilmots and Bilic have definitely applied.

Also mentions Avram Grant, Sven and that the SFA want a role of some sort for Darren Fletcher.

I don't claim to know anything about football but I can say with absolute certainty that a management team of Slaven Bilic and Darren Fletcher would win us the World Cup.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Dick Advocaat would be an incredible appointment IMO. Vastly experienced with international football, largely been a successful manager and out of the foreign candidates has some experience of Scottish football (Which most would point out as a foreign candidates 'weak point'). The fact that he'd be willing to surround himself with a young Scottish backroom staff would be an excellent learning platform.

He could be our Trapattoni and set the building blocks for years to come even if he's not a success himself.

In other words, there's absolutely no way that the SFA are thinking of implementing this.

Do we have to go through this same dance every single time a new manager declares their interest? People being reported as applying for or being interested in the job doesn't mean that they are realistic or affordable candidates. Jose Mourinho might throw his hat in the ring too, but if he's after £10m a year we're not going to be able to get him.

I have a lowish opinion of Ian Maxwell and an even lower one of the other people on the board, but I still don't think that, all other things being equal, they are actively going to prefer Scott Gemmill over Slaven Bilic or Dick Advocaat.

3 hours ago, WATTOO said:

I honestly don't get the hatred of moyes that we appear to have. His record is comparable if not better to everyone else named and his most recent gig at West ham was also pretty successful in relative terms.

As a Preston N E fan I can say that he was good there ONLY because he took on a team left by someone else.  He could not/did not bring players or the team on.  It was only on the word of Alex Ferguson that he got the MAN U job.  He did nothing at Everton except keep them where they were.  So imo he has not energy to motivate or develop teams so I couldnt see him do a Scotland job.

17 minutes ago, honestman54 said:

As a Preston N E fan I can say that he was good there ONLY because he took on a team left by someone else.  He could not/did not bring players or the team on.  It was only on the word of Alex Ferguson that he got the MAN U job.  He did nothing at Everton except keep them where they were.  So imo he has not energy to motivate or develop teams so I couldnt see him do a Scotland job.

This is nonsense from start to finish.

Moyes took over from Gary Peters with Preston sitting in the bottom half of the Second Division (now League 1). He led them to a 5th placed finish and a play-off defeat in his first full season, then won the league at a canter in his second. The next year, he led them to 4th in the First Division (now Championship) and lost in the play-off final. When he left Preston in the March of the following season, they were sitting just outside the play-off places.

When he took over from Walter Smith at Everton, they were only outside the relegation places on goal difference, and had finished in the top half of the table just once in the last 10 years. He kept them up and took them to 7th the following season. He then struggled the following season and only just kept them up, but bounced back from that to lead them to 4th place in the table and a Champions League spot. He was there for a further eight seasons, and finished in the top 6 on another five occasions, only finishing in the bottom half (11th) once.

Edited by craigkillie

28 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Do we have to go through this same dance every single time a new manager declares their interest? People being reported as applying for or being interested in the job doesn't mean that they are realistic or affordable candidates. Jose Mourinho might throw his hat in the ring too, but if he's after £10m a year we're not going to be able to get him.

I have a lowish opinion of Ian Maxwell and an even lower one of the other people on the board, but I still don't think that, all other things being equal, they are actively going to prefer Scott Gemmill over Slaven Bilic or Dick Advocaat.

They shouldn't actively be preferring Scot Gemmill to anyone other than Malky McKay.  If those two are the pinnacle of quality we can afford then we're as well shutting up shop now.

22 hours ago, DAFC. said:

Interesting shout, but doubt he'd want it tbh.

Why did he leave PSV? Did he not win the league that same season?

Aye, he did win it in his final season, but had already planned to leave. Can't find too much context on it, but he was there for almost 5 seasons, so probably just fancied a new challenge and PSV were happy to freshen things up.

14 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

Aye, he did win it in his final season, but had already planned to leave. Can't find too much context on it, but he was there for almost 5 seasons, so probably just fancied a new challenge and PSV were happy to freshen things up.

Wouldn't be adverse to him being in charge, Dutch total fitbaw n awrat, but highly doubt they'll go down the foreign route. In fact, they 100% won't.

50 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Moyes took over from Gary Peters with Preston sitting in the bottom half of the Second Division (now League 1). He led them to a 5th placed finish and a play-off defeat in his first full season, then won the league at a canter in his second. The next year, he led them to 4th in the First Division (now Championship) and lost in the play-off final. When he left Preston in the March of the following season, they were sitting just outside the play-off places.

When he took over from Walter Smith at Everton, they were only outside the relegation places on goal difference, and had finished in the top half of the table just once in the last 10 years. He kept them up and took them to 7th the following season. He then struggled the following season and only just kept them up, but bounced back from that to lead them to 4th place in the table and a Champions League spot. He was there for a further eight seasons, and finished in the top 6 on another five occasions, only finishing in the bottom half (11th) once.

I can assure that as a season ticket holder at PNE and attending many functions there he is not loved here due to his in activity and disregard for the club.

1 minute ago, honestman54 said:

I can assure that as a season ticket holder at PNE and attending many functions there he is not loved here due to his in activity and disregard for the club.

All well and good, but your previous point was dismantled and set on fire by Craigkillie.

I think Brendan Rodgers is a ratty b*****d but I can't disregard his success at the club.

Advocaat would be a superb appointment! Him, Bilic and Clarke should be interviewed with the hope 1 of them will take it!

As much as Gemmill and Malky are in the frame I can't see them sitting round a table and saying "right so we are down to Advocaat, Bilic, Clarke, Gemmill and Malky, what you think lads, should we just go with Malky then aye? Ok, should work" Unless they are complete and utter useless twats...….. Oh wait, SHIT!

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

That almost sold me on Moyes.  I just don't know if he's "past his sell by date", or if his following appointments were freak show jobs at dysfunctional clubs.  What he did at Preston and Everton was nothing short of remarkable.  I'm all in, incidentally, on candidates who view the Scotland job as a means back into club management.  The alternative to that is, well, Alex McLeish.  

2 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

That almost sold me on Moyes.  I just don't know if he's "past his sell by date", or if his following appointments were freak show jobs at dysfunctional clubs.  What he did at Preston and Everton was nothing short of remarkable.  I'm all in, incidentally, on candidates who view the Scotland job as a means back into club management.  The alternative to that is, well, Alex McLeish.  

The question (as I posed above) is whether he has lost whatever it was that he had in his Preston and Everton days, and whether he can come back from the multiple disappointments he's had since then. The weird thing is that he's only 56, so he still has time on his side.