Next Scotland Manager

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I was confused by this, because my understanding was that children aged 9-12 were now playing 9 a side football  in 7 a side goals, something which was introduced by the SFA after a pilot. I'm not saying there aren't still kids that age playing in full-size goals, but this is definitely not encouraged by the SFA, and I certainly know that youth leagues in Ayrshire made the change at least a couple of years ago.

I've looked through the Youth Football Scotland twitter page, and there are some photos and videos of kids that age playing with what appear to be full sized goals, but those videos are from youth tournaments in the Netherlands and Barcelona - two places lauded for their "modern and progressive" ideas.

From what I've seen and heard, what's recommended and what happens in practice are two different things. IMO nobody should be using full-sized goals until they've reached the age at which they stop growing in height - so about 15. An 8-feet high goal is massive.

2 hours ago, forameus said:

I'd imagine part of him's pretty big, whether it's his boaby or just his wallet.  Despite looking like a testicle, he's fairly popular with the ladies.

Is it really necessary?  This isn't learning the piano or something, they know football.  If someone comes in and actually wants to get fired in to the job, they could probably learn about as much as the Scottish managers know with a weekend at the DVDs.  

f**k it, you could call the same squad up as last time and probably manage them to a decent result without knowing any other players.

I just mean in terms of the psychology of the players, and understanding things like the issues with those who are more reluctant to join the squad these days. I think there's a need for a lot of personal skills and sensitivity from the next Scotland manager, someone who knows the players and what type of people they are. In general I couldn't care less if the Scotland manager was Scottish or not, it's just that this time, with the team at a more vulnerable point than I can remember, they could use a steady and known quantity in charge.

5 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

I don't mind people saying Rangers collapse assisted us to finish 2nd etc but it boils my piss when someone mentions our points tally over 4 years and someone says 'aye but Rangers...'

Just a wild coincidence that your increased points tally coincidenced with Hearts and Rangers financial implosions and a relegated Hibs. 

It's almost like you were able to offer the second best package in the country while ever other premiership side had to downsize, wild. 

8 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Just a wild coincidence that your increased points tally coincidenced with Hearts and Rangers financial implosions and a relegated Hibs. 

It's almost like you were able to offer the second best package in the country while ever other premiership side had to downsize, wild. 

coincidence that coincidenced? Nice one.

You're struggling with the distinction between finishing 2nd and the highest points tally outwith OF for several years, 4 years running. Only one season that was without Hearts, Hibs and Rangers, and we achieved it last season with all three in the league.

So I'm struggling to see your point here.

1 hour ago, lanky_ffc said:

Anyone mentioned Cocu yet? Has won 3 Eredivisie titles as manager, had 2 spells as assistant in the national team and played at the top level. Might be looking to rebuild his reputation after a disastrous spell in Turkey.

Interesting shout, but doubt he'd want it tbh.

Why did he leave PSV? Did he not win the league that same season?

2 hours ago, RobbieD said:

Clearly you've never been anywhere around the world.

Real Madrid are the biggest supported team in the world and could buy Man Utd tomorrow.  There's no dispute, they are by far the world's number one club.  Thirteen CL wins doesn't lie, all the best players in the world, every transfer record.  Man Utd aren't even close to them, not even in the same league.  You won't see Ashley fucking Young captaining Real Madrid any time soon.  Man Utd aren't even second.

Remind me again, was it Real Madrid or Man Utd that just won the CL for the third time in a row?

Edited by Kuro

5 minutes ago, Kuro said:

Man Utd could make a case for second though personally Barcelona for me, but theyre definitely not first, not even close.

It's generally based on current MCAP and bears no real relation to the relative success of the club or indeed the support size, although this is of course indirectly impacts the value.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2018/06/12/the-worlds-most-valuable-soccer-teams-2018/#432c97f745c8

4 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

It's generally based on current MCAP and bears no real relation to the relative success of the club or indeed the support size, although this is of course indirectly impacts the value.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2018/06/12/the-worlds-most-valuable-soccer-teams-2018/#432c97f745c8

Generally based on by whom?  It's always based on success, and Real Madrid wipe the floor with everybody else when it comes to that.  Supported base is a factor too, and they win there as well.  They've won the CL more than  Man Utd, Liverpool and Juventus put together.  They are unquestionably the world's number one club, it's not even close.

7 minutes ago, Kuro said:

Generally based on by whom?  It's always based on success, and Real Madrid wipe the floor with everybody else when it comes to that.  Supported base is a factor too, and they win there as well.  They've won the CL more than  Man Utd, Liverpool and Juventus put together.  They are unquestionably the world's number one club, it's not even close.

It's the mcap which is the Market capitalisation which is basically the stock market value of the club.

As I say, it's open to interpretation and is a fluid situation depending on the daily stock movements and doesn't take anything like a clubs history or support etc into account.

This is always an emotive subject though as in Scottish terms you could easily argue that Raith Rovers are a bigger club than Inverness, however currently they are playing in a league below, have a poorer support and a far smaller budget, so are they ??

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

It's the mcap which is the Market capitalisation which is basically the stock market value of the club.

As I say, it's open to interpretation and is a fluid situation depending on the daily stock movements and doesn't take anything like a clubs history or support etc into account.

This is always an emotive subject though as in Scottish terms you could easily argue that Raith Rovers are a bigger club than Inverness, however currently they are playing in a league below, have a poorer support and a far smaller budget, so are they ??

Who cares?  

24 minutes ago, Kuro said:

Not about raith and inverness.  I already explained it.

Being honest and a Scot, I must admit to caring more about both Inverness & Raith than I do about Man Utd or Real Madrid.

That's the modern world for you though, where everyone seems to have an "English team" or a "Foreign team".

It's probably no wonder that our game's in the state that it's in...........................

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

Being honest and a Scot, I must admit to caring more about both Inverness & Raith than I do about Man Utd or Real Madrid.

That's the modern world for you though, where everyone seems to have an "English team" or a "Foreign team".

It's probably no wonder that our game's in the state that it's in...........................

Nah that's pish.  Whether raith are bigger than inverness is of no interest to me (Raith) and no relevance to this discussion.  That doesn't make me any less pro Scottish.

7 minutes ago, Kuro said:

Nah that's pish.  Whether raith are bigger than inverness is of no interest to me (Raith) and no relevance to this discussion.  That doesn't make me any less pro Scottish.

The thread discussion is on the next Scotland Manager, so I also don't see the relevance of discussing the perceived size of Real Madrid or Man Utd.

I'll leave it at that though.

The thread discussion is on the next Scotland Manager, so I also don't see the relevance of discussing the perceived size of Real Madrid or Man Utd.
I'll leave it at that though.

Look who brought it up. Case closed.