Next Scotland Manager

47 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Big? He's only 5'10" and quite slim.

I'd imagine part of him's pretty big, whether it's his boaby or just his wallet.  Despite looking like a testicle, he's fairly popular with the ladies.

10 hours ago, GordonS said:

I'd be worried about going on the general international manager merry-go-round, because I think with Scotland in what I feel is the worst shape ever, a manager who knows the players as much as possible is what we need right now.

Is it really necessary?  This isn't learning the piano or something, they know football.  If someone comes in and actually wants to get fired in to the job, they could probably learn about as much as the Scottish managers know with a weekend at the DVDs.  

f**k it, you could call the same squad up as last time and probably manage them to a decent result without knowing any other players.

It's been entirely glossed over here, and I appreciate that international managers of other nations will be on much more but say it out loud:

Alex McLeish. £500,000 a year. ALEX FUCKING MCLEISH. Half a million quid a fucking YEAR. 

That's absolutely terrifying. 

16 hours ago, craigkillie said:

It was suggested last week that Bilic would be after something like £2m a year, which it about 4 times what McLeish was on and well more than double what we offered O'Neill.

I think the only way we could try to entice him would be with a heavily incentivised contract with a big qualification bonus, and even that might not be enough.

I can't help but think that suggestion is a bit on the high side.  I tried to find out what he was on with Croatia and came across this - https://www.total-croatia-news.com/sport/23405-how-much-do-croatia-national-team-coaches-earn-a-closer-look - suggests he was on about £140K a year with Croatia in 2012.  Now I accept that he's gone on to manage some big clubs after that and would rightly be looking for a wage increase on that £140K a year (and that was nearly 8 years ago), but I'm not sure his reputation is strong enough to start demanding £2M a year after failing in Saudi Arabia. That article would suggest that Croatia don't pay anywhere near £2M a year for their current manager, I accept that Scotland is a shite job and most will need handsomely paid to take it on but I still think £2M seems ridiculous for Bilic. 

I'm quite excited to see Sven's name linked. He wasn't nearly as bad with England as he was made out to be. His 2002 world cup was ended at the quarters by the eventual winners and one of the best World Cup sides in Brazil, who had Rivaldo, Ronaldinho and Ronaldo.

He's been highly successful in Serie A and also has huge experience managing international sides. 

Fuckin give it to him.

20 hours ago, Big Fifer said:

They will consider the following questions:

• Is the candidate looking at this as a stepping stone to a club job?

He'd have to be a headcase not to. International level hasn't been the pinnacle of football for quite some time and no manager with sufficient ability is going to see a perennially pish international side like us as the height of his ambition.

I was confused by this, because my understanding was that children aged 9-12 were now playing 9 a side football  in 7 a side goals, something which was introduced by the SFA after a pilot. I'm not saying there aren't still kids that age playing in full-size goals, but this is definitely not encouraged by the SFA, and I certainly know that youth leagues in Ayrshire made the change at least a couple of years ago.
I've looked through the Youth Football Scotland twitter page, and there are some photos and videos of kids that age playing with what appear to be full sized goals, but those videos are from youth tournaments in the Netherlands and Barcelona - two places lauded for their "modern and progressive" ideas.

Ross County made a big deal of allowing the under 14s play at the Global Arena a while back. Most fans seemed to see it as a great thing. It looked brutal, with these wee kids walloping the ball as far as they could and everyone else chasing it.

I'm quite excited to see Sven's name linked. He wasn't nearly as bad with England as he was made out to be. His 2002 world cup was ended at the quarters by the eventual winners and one of the best World Cup sides in Brazil, who had Rivaldo, Ronaldinho and Ronaldo.
He's been highly successful in Serie A and also has huge experience managing international sides. 
Fuckin give it to him.

Not sure how good he is but he definitely suffered from having an England team that their media was convinced was a World Cup winning side.

49 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I can't help but think that suggestion is a bit on the high side.  I tried to find out what he was on with Croatia and came across this - https://www.total-croatia-news.com/sport/23405-how-much-do-croatia-national-team-coaches-earn-a-closer-look - suggests he was on about £140K a year with Croatia in 2012.  Now I accept that he's gone on to manage some big clubs after that and would rightly be looking for a wage increase on that £140K a year (and that was nearly 8 years ago), but I'm not sure his reputation is strong enough to start demanding £2M a year after failing in Saudi Arabia. That article would suggest that Croatia don't pay anywhere near £2M a year for their current manager, I accept that Scotland is a shite job and most will need handsomely paid to take it on but I still think £2M seems ridiculous for Bilic. 

It was suggested that he was on £3m a year at West Ham, and I'd guess he'd have been on more than that to convince him to go to Saudi Arabia.

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It was suggested that he was on £3m a year at West Ham, and I'd guess he'd have been on more than that to convince him to go to Saudi Arabia.

Appreciate that, but who's in a position to give him a job at anything close to £3M now? Clubs in China maybe, somewhere else in Saudi, Qatar.  Fair enough if he fancies more of that but I can't see any club/international job in Europe who will want him and be happy paying £2M for him. If it was me I'd offer him what we offered for O'Neill and if that's not enough for him then we move on.

Jim White just had a TalkSport Exclusive with Sven. He started by saying that the link was news to him. White said would he be open to speaking to Scotland and he replied "it is rude not to talk to someone if they speak to you", White started getting giddy "So Sven, you would be interested in the Scotland job?" and Sven shot him down saying that he hadn't given it any real thought and tried putting out the flames that White was lighting. 

In regards to Slav, that first season at West Ham was one of the best years of football I have seen from the Hammers. However that was mainly down to two things, Payet and a lack of any real injury. It is worth remembering in this superb year that West Ham were knocked out of the Europa League before the groups by a Romanian side that Inverness narrowly lost out to. Also towards the end of the season West Ham were in a brilliant position for fourth, but absolutely shat it. Finishing seventh. 

The following seasons were abysmal, but a lot of that was due to lack of investment and a terrible stadium move.  When Payet left, everything just crumbled, it didn't help his replacement was Snodgrass (no disrespect to the lad but it's like replacing a Ferrari with a Kia Ceed). In the lead up to his sacking he looked genuinely ill, his hip had gone. He looked like an old man who was on his way out. Once he was sacked and he moved to media he looked a lot better and has remarked on a few occasions how the West Ham job just knackered him. 

When Moyes came in, it was a level of underwhelming only the McLeish appointment for Scotland has matched. However he got some cracking results, and also was the reason Arnautovic really hit form, moving from out wide into a central position. I can't say I was too sad to see Moyes go, but the job he was given, he absolutely nailed. 

55 minutes ago, velo army said:

Fuckin give it to him.

I definitely get where you are coming from with England. He took over from a shambles and definitely met minimum expectations in the next few tournaments and lost 2 of the 3 on penalties (maybe harsh decisions going against them in normal time) and then the other narrowly to an outstanding Brazil team. His name was tarnished etc but the hype around England was ridiculous.

That being said, you get the impression he's always been a bit of a mercenary and has stopped trying to hide it with age. I get a feeling he really wouldn't give a shit and would be happy enough to get an early pay-off and then take on a Qatari fourth tier club.

1 hour ago, velo army said:

Fuckin give it to him.

He's not had any real success in a job since England and he's had about 10 of them.

He's 71 and past it.  We've been down this road before.

41 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Appreciate that, but who's in a position to give him a job at anything close to £3M now? Clubs in China maybe, somewhere else in Saudi, Qatar.  Fair enough if he fancies more of that but I can't see any club/international job in Europe who will want him and be happy paying £2M for him. If it was me I'd offer him what we offered for O'Neill and if that's not enough for him then we move on.

Exactly what I was saying, I recon he'd take that with an added bonus is we qualified. The guy is looking to get back into it, doesn't need the cash to pay the bills, can't see him digging his heels in for more cash.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

Ross County made a big deal of allowing the under 14s play at the Global Arena a while back. Most fans seemed to see it as a great thing. It looked brutal, with these wee kids walloping the ball as far as they could and everyone else chasing it.

Going back to my own Boys brigade, school team and boys club days, although we all played 11 a side on full size pitches from around 11 - 16, (including grim red blaze with the dreaded Mitre Mouldmaster) we did also spend hours and hours playing and training in 5 a side and 7 a side matches using the small pitches. There were also lots of indoor tournaments of 5 a sides which encouraged pass and move and ball control where it was the head height rule. Not to mention out playing "volleys and heids" regularly with a couple of your pals.

I'm kind of out of touch with kids nowadays, however I'd assume they still play 5's etc pretty regularly ??

I know we're not exactly at the forefront of cutting edge training methods in this country, however I think people paint a far darker picture and try to change history when it suits them at times (nothing against anyone on this thread by the way) and maybe the reasons we're not producing the players that we once did is more a social thing, where less kids are playing football in their spare time and maybe everything at our youth clubs and football clubs is in fact too structured and rigid and not allowing kids to express themselves ??

Who knows, just a thought.

6 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Going back to my own Boys brigade, school team and boys club days, although we all played 11 a side on full size pitches from around 11 - 16, (including grim red blaze with the dreaded Mitre Mouldmaster) we did also spend hours and hours playing and training in 5 a side and 7 a side matches using the small pitches. There were also lots of indoor tournaments of 5 a sides which encouraged pass and move and ball control where it was the head height rule. Not to mention out playing "volleys and heids" regularly with a couple of your pals.

I'm kind of out of touch with kids nowadays, however I'd assume they still play 5's etc pretty regularly ??

I know we're not exactly at the forefront of cutting edge training methods in this country, however I think people paint a far darker picture and try to change history when it suits them at times (nothing against anyone on this thread by the way) and maybe the reasons we're not producing the players that we once did is more a social thing, where less kids are playing football in their spare time and maybe everything at our youth clubs and football clubs is in fact too structured and rigid and not allowing kids to express themselves ??

Who knows, just a thought.

I'm out of touch with it too, although my nephew gives me pretty unreliable reports on what the coaches do and don't do at schools.  My post was more referring to the fact that very few people - including the coaches - had an issue with little kids whacking the ball three feet above the goalkeeper from 6 yards, having first played the ball up the length of the park in as few passes as possible.  In fact, most folk seemed to think it was progressive.  

19 hours ago, M0rtonfc said:

His work with Croatia at international should have him at the top of the pile regardless of his failed club work IMO, it's a different gig, I know where your coming from tho. He's a manager that would be different from what we have ever went with, one that the majority of the fans wouldn't have the pitchforks out hours after his appointment, I just feel he might be the kind of appointment that would fit in well. I'm all for Clarke too  by the way and wouldn't be angry at Moyes either, just saying I think he should be 1 of the front runners, no doubts about it.

Yes, I'd be happy with any of those three to be honest.

Bilic also has that bit of charisma which has maybe been missing since the days of Super Ally, although I'm not saying we're going to win a World Cup or anything..........

4 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I'm out of touch with it too, although my nephew gives me pretty unreliable reports on what the coaches do and don't do at schools.  My post was more referring to the fact that very few people - including the coaches - had an issue with little kids whacking the ball three feet above the goalkeeper from 6 yards, having first played the ball up the length of the park in as few passes as possible.  In fact, most folk seemed to think it was progressive.  

Yes, I'd agree that type of football is just pointless and seems more like an easy option for the coaches.