Next Scotland Manager

You could see folk really uniting behind Bilic. A massive character and a guy you'd think players would want to turn up and play for. Decent crowd in for Cyprus if he got it. 

Failing that, Clarke has not only done well at Killie but he's also coached at a top level. I think he'd command the respect of the players without necessarily being box office. 

9 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

Moyes did well enough to steady the ship at West Ham and avoid relegation, but he was a complete disaster at Real Sociedad and Sunderland. He actually had an alright win record at Man U, but in the context of being Man U manager, the biggest club in the world, he was a disaster.

Agree with Moonster about Bilić though. If Bilić is genuinely interested and isn’t even shortlisted due to him being foreign, then the SFA are fuds. I was reading online however he was earning 50k per week at his last club out in the dessert somewhere. How much does the Scotland boss earn? 100k a year? Bilić might demand too much money in that instance.

I believe Mcleish was on 500k.

5 hours ago, Big Fifer said:

Seems to be a lot of shouts on twitter of "Having seen Southgate, I think going the same route with Gemmill could work".

Quite the conclusion to come to really. Wonder if these folk know that they're two different people?

Such a bizarre jump in logic

7 hours ago, WATTOO said:

I agree with much of your post, however Moyes is undoubtedly the standout character if we're talking about achievements in the game.

Remember, this is a guy who's record in the Premiership was so admired that he landed the Management gig at the largest club side in the world, ok, he didn't quite hit it off but the very fact he got there coupled with his record at Everton should have him miles ahead of anyone else, irrespective of how some seem to feel about him.

Just a wee correction as it always annoys me, the biggest club in the world are Real Madrid.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I think both Bilic and Moyes did a passable job in difficult circumstances at West Ham.

Moyes also did a passable job at Sunderland (bear in mind they were relegated from the Championship the following season as they were an utter shambles, and the first thing he said after taking the job was if he knew the mess of the club he wouldn't have taken it) and was doing okay at Sociedad too.  Managers get fired all the time in Spain, its really not much of a reflection on anything after a few months.  He also equalled Mourinho's first season at Man Utd after hundreds of millions had been spent and he only got buttons.  He's done at least a 6/10 at every club he's ever been at, its just not true to suggest otherwise.  Would not be my first choice but very solid appointment, and would stay for quite a while.

2 hours ago, DAFC. said:

Moyes did well enough to steady the ship at West Ham and avoid relegation, but he was a complete disaster at Real Sociedad and Sunderland. He actually had an alright win record at Man U, but in the context of being Man U manager, the biggest club in the world, he was a disaster.

Agree with Moonster about Bilić though. If Bilić is genuinely interested and isn’t even shortlisted due to him being foreign, then the SFA are fuds. I was reading online however he was earning 50k per week at his last club out in the dessert somewhere. How much does the Scotland boss earn? 100k a year? Bilić might demand too much money in that instance.

Real Madrid are the biggest club in the world not Man Utd.  And Moyes did quite decent at Sociedad and Sunderland.

Since the mid 90s only six times have clubs outside the OF broken 70 points in the league. Hearts once, Motherwell once - and Aberdeen, four times in a row under McInnes.

I'll take him or Steve Clarke please.

I'd be worried about going on the general international manager merry-go-round, because I think with Scotland in what I feel is the worst shape ever, a manager who knows the players as much as possible is what we need right now.

Whatever happens I expect our slow, steady decline to continue for at least another decade. We're in a terrible state. I saw a tweet from Youth Football Scotland the other day, apparently modern and progressive coaches, it proudly showed under 12s playing in full size goals. We're in the football stone age.

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

Since the mid 90s only six times have clubs outside the OF broken 70 points in the league. Hearts once, Motherwell once - and Aberdeen, four times in a row under McInnes.

I'll take him or Steve Clarke please.

I'd be worried about going on the general international manager merry-go-round, because I think with Scotland in what I feel is the worst shape ever, a manager who knows the players as much as possible is what we need right now.

Whatever happens I expect our slow, steady decline to continue for at least another decade. We're in a terrible state. I saw a tweet from Youth Football Scotland the other day, apparently modern and progressive coaches, it proudly showed under 12s playing in full size goals. We're in the football stone age.

Surely that Aberdeen stat is skewed by the fact one half of the old firm died, wasn't in the Premier for four years and were an absolute shambles for there first two in the Premier? 

Surely that Aberdeen stat is skewed by the fact one half of the old firm died, wasn't in the Premier for four years and were an absolute shambles for there first two in the Premier? 

Yes, we were consistent against the rest of the league because rangers died.

3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Yes, we were consistent against the rest of the league because rangers died.

Have you not beat them in every meeting this season aswell, with a worse squad than you had when they weren't in the league?

18 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Shame about finishing a fair bit behind them by the looks of it. Was hoping they'd be kept out of 2nd.

Kind of proves the point though, we haven't had anywhere near the same consistency against the rest of the league this season, so we won't finish 2nd.

I don't mind people saying Rangers collapse assisted us to finish 2nd etc but it boils my piss when someone mentions our points tally over 4 years and someone says 'aye but Rangers...'

10 hours ago, GordonS said:

I was confused by this, because my understanding was that children aged 9-12 were now playing 9 a side football  in 7 a side goals, something which was introduced by the SFA after a pilot. I'm not saying there aren't still kids that age playing in full-size goals, but this is definitely not encouraged by the SFA, and I certainly know that youth leagues in Ayrshire made the change at least a couple of years ago.

I've looked through the Youth Football Scotland twitter page, and there are some photos and videos of kids that age playing with what appear to be full sized goals, but those videos are from youth tournaments in the Netherlands and Barcelona - two places lauded for their "modern and progressive" ideas.