Next Scotland Manager

Why is Jack Ross a serious contender?

Before I continue, I think he has done very well in his short spell as a manager and he should be commended for that. However, is he really Scotland manager material? He's currently at a big club in England (again, fair play to him for achieving that) however they sit 4th in the league with no guarantee of promotion? Maybe if he had got them back to the PL and held his own, then aye, I'd say he'd be a good candidate, but not at this stage. 

Steve Clarke has got to be the outstanding candidate, but we all know it'll be Malky Mackay/Scott Gemmill or Davie Moyes. Sigh. 

19 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Moyes >>> Malky or Scotland Gemmill

Seems to be a lot of shouts on twitter of "Having seen Southgate, I think going the same route with Gemmill could work".

Quite the conclusion to come to really. Wonder if these folk know that they're two different people?

4 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

Seems to be a lot of shouts on twitter of "Having seen Southgate, I think going the same route with Gemmill could work".

Quite the conclusion to come to really. Wonder if these folk know that they're two different people?

So, so short-sighted.  Probably the same people that'll append it with "Och, it cannae get any worse".

36 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

Before I continue, I think he has done very well in his short spell as a manager and he should be commended for that. However, is he really Scotland manager material? He's currently at a big club in England (again, fair play to him for achieving that) however they sit 4th in the league with no guarantee of promotion? Maybe if he had got them back to the PL and held his own, then aye, I'd say he'd be a good candidate, but not at this stage. 

Steve Clarke has got to be the outstanding candidate, but we all know it'll be Malky Mackay/Scott Gemmill or Davie Moyes. Sigh. 

I agree with much of your post, however Moyes is undoubtedly the standout character if we're talking about achievements in the game.

Remember, this is a guy who's record in the Premiership was so admired that he landed the Management gig at the largest club side in the world, ok, he didn't quite hit it off but the very fact he got there coupled with his record at Everton should have him miles ahead of anyone else, irrespective of how some seem to feel about him.

I've found myself close to having full on heads gone moments with these people.

1 hour ago, DAFC. said:

Jack Ross shouldn't be considered yet IMO and given that he seems to have his head screwed on right I would expect him to distance himself from the job for the time being.  In 5-10 years he might well be the ideal candidate but not right now.

If Bilic has indeed declared his interest and we don't even speak to him then serious questions should be asked.  Of the list above though, Clarke is the only one I'd take.

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

I agree with much of your post, however Moyes is undoubtedly the standout character if we're talking about achievements in the game.

Remember, this is a guy who's record in the Premiership was so admired that he landed the Management gig at the largest club side in the world, ok, he didn't quite hit it off but the very fact he got there coupled with his record at Everton should have him miles ahead of anyone else, irrespective of how some seem to feel about him.

He left Everton 6 years ago and has a string of failures under his belt since then - that's why people are unsure about him. I can't decide whether he'd be good or not for exactly that reason - it's not clear whether he's just been unlucky, or whether he has lost whatever it was that he had at Preston and Everton.

One thing's for sure though, he definitely wouldn't be in it for the long haul.

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

He left Everton 6 years ago and has a string of failures under his belt since then - that's why people are unsure about him. I can't decide whether he'd be good or not for exactly that reason - it's not clear whether he's just been unlucky, or whether he has lost whatever it was that he had at Preston and Everton.

Funnily enough we've just been having a similar chat about "fickle fans" and Managers only being as good as "their last few results" on a club thread and I suppose the same is True here.

Don't get me wrong, from the names that are being touted Stevie Clarke would probably be my first choice as he's an excellent coach, has great man management skills and has done a great job at Killie, however as far as actual CV goes I don't think anyone can really question Moyes, as although he didn't do very well in San Sebastian his overall Managerial record is actually really good and of course if nothing else he'd certainly have us organised.

Surely the SFA will know themselves that the appointment of Gemmill or Malky is going to be met with a terrible response from just about every Scot out there, they need to appoint someone that will instantly get us excited and happy about and fill more seats for this next home game. The appointment of any of these 2 will just be a McLeish situation all over again, who knows if they would do a better job but right away both would be starting this job with an uphill battle to win over the support, that's not what's needed here!

Out of all the managers that have been spoken about it really has to be Clarke or Bilic. The squad has to be announced by the end of next month I'm sure, make these 2 managers your targets and speak to them pronto, if we have to wait till the end of Killie's season for Clarke to take over then fine. If Clarke doesn't want it, hire Bilic, it's really not that hard, Bilic wants the gig so you have him as a backup unlike the last O'Neill saga.

Spend the cash and make the right call for once, this is our best and easiest chance to make a tourney!

Edited by M0rtonfc

10 minutes ago, M0rtonfc said:

Surely the SFA will know themselves that the appointment of Gemmill or Malky is going to be met with a terrible response from just about every Scot out there, they need to appoint someone that will instantly get us excited and happy about and fill more seats for this next home game. The appointment of any of these 2 will just be a McLeish situation all over again, who knows if they would do a better job but right away both would be starting this job with an uphill battle to win over the support, that's not what's needed here!

Out of all the managers that have been spoken about it really has to be Clarke or Bilic. The squad has to be announced by the end of next month I'm sure, make these 2 managers your targets and speak to them pronto, if we have to wait till the end of Killie's season for Clarke to take over then fine. If Clarke doesn't want it, hire Bilic, it's really not that hard, Bilic wants the gig so you have him as a backup unlike the last O'Neill saga.

Spend the cash and make the right call for once, this is our best and easiest chance to make a tourney!

Bilic is another one who's record is comparable, if a little worse than that of Moyes but most see him as sexier maybe because he's foreign or maybe his favoured style is a little easier on the eye.

He did well with Croatia, was pretty poor at both Lokomotiv and Besiktas, had a decent record at West Ham and failed terribly at Al-Ittihad.

13 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Bilic is another one who's record is comparable, if a little worse than that of Moyes but most see him as sexier maybe because he's foreign or maybe his favoured style is a little easier on the eye.

He did well with Croatia, was pretty poor at both Lokomotiv and Besiktas, had a decent record at West Ham and failed terribly at Al-Ittihad.

His work with Croatia at international should have him at the top of the pile regardless of his failed club work IMO, it's a different gig, I know where your coming from tho. He's a manager that would be different from what we have ever went with, one that the majority of the fans wouldn't have the pitchforks out hours after his appointment, I just feel he might be the kind of appointment that would fit in well. I'm all for Clarke too  by the way and wouldn't be angry at Moyes either, just saying I think he should be 1 of the front runners, no doubts about it.

3 hours ago, Big Fifer said:

Can't remember how to embed tweets on this (someone tell me plz) but Barry Anderson of the Scotsman tweets:

"Seems Steve Clarke, Derek McInnes, David Moyes, Jack Ross, Scot Gemmill & Malky Mackay in the frame for Scotland job. SFA board met & CEO Ian Maxwell leads recruitment process. Clarke my choice from that list. Disappointed if they don't even try for Slaven Bilic."

From that, I doubt Clarke or Ross would want it now. Derek McInnes might as I have a sneaking suspicion he might call it at Aberdeen this summer. Still seems a bit young. Moyes, Gemmill and Mackay give me the fear.

The BBC has written: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48024584

The eight-strong Scottish FA board must identify someone who will take on a job that pays less than the equivalent at many English Championship clubs and deal with clubs reluctant to release players.

They will consider the following questions:

• Is the candidate looking at this as a stepping stone to a club job?
  • Can he persuade clubs to allow their players to join up and play on artificial pitches?
  • Can he persuade players that qualifying for a major finals can have a positive impact on their careers?
  • Can he unite and galvanise the Tartan Army?

I've no idea if that list of questions is from some sort of source or if its just been invented by the writer. 

Like most job interviews a bollocks progression question. They can just blatantly lie and say no or say yes and ruin their chances. If the likes of Billic wants to get a job in the top leagues on the back of this fine as the only he will is if The scottish team become successful.

Edited by gannonball

It was suggested last week that Bilic would be after something like £2m a year, which it about 4 times what McLeish was on and well more than double what we offered O'Neill.

I think the only way we could try to entice him would be with a heavily incentivised contract with a big qualification bonus, and even that might not be enough.

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It was suggested last week that Bilic would be after something like £2m a year, which it about 4 times what McLeish was on and well more than double what we offered O'Neill.

I think the only way we could try to entice him would be with a heavily incentivised contract with a big qualification bonus, and even that might not be enough.

Yep spot on, offer him what O'Neill would have been offered if not slightly more and reward him with a 1 million bonus is we qualify, surely that's enough to secure the services of a man who is unemployed and already declared his interest. Scotland will earn something like 7-8 million if we qualify for the Euro's, it's a gamble and money well spent if he did it.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Did he not come in and improve on Billic at West Ham? 

Count me out with regards to McInnes. 

4 hours ago, Aidan said:
5 hours ago, Big Fifer said:

I've found myself close to having full on heads gone moments with these people.

These people are morons.

Moyes did well enough to steady the ship at West Ham and avoid relegation, but he was a complete disaster at Real Sociedad and Sunderland. He actually had an alright win record at Man U, but in the context of being Man U manager, the biggest club in the world, he was a disaster.

Agree with Moonster about Bilić though. If Bilić is genuinely interested and isn’t even shortlisted due to him being foreign, then the SFA are fuds. I was reading online however he was earning 50k per week at his last club out in the dessert somewhere. How much does the Scotland boss earn? 100k a year? Bilić might demand too much money in that instance.