Next Scotland Manager

19 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Here's to another 21 years of dismal underperformance care of credulous men in kilts who can't see they're part of the problem.

11 minutes ago, Principal Flutie said:

Aye. We're not talking about a short term problem here. I dare say if any club side had problems of the length and sort that there is at the SFA, there'd be a significant drop in attendances whether it be through deliberate boycott or just not being fucked anymore. 

It's not like it's a mental suggestion to say people should be trying to hit them in the pocket. We've seen enough times now that it can work. Why is wanting to see people do this to the SFA in any way a bad thing?

If you're knowingly supporting the SFA, and you are definitely doing so if you're going to games, and think there's problems that need to be sorted, then you deserve to be called an idiot.

The only way a boycott can be justifiable is if you have a clear idea of what it is that you'd like to change before you're willing to return. For example, you sometimes see club supporters boycotting in order to force out a particular chairman or owner.

Very specifically, what sort of change is it that you'd like to see at the SFA? What would you like them to do differently? I want actual quantifiable things, not vague statements like "overhaul the blazers" or "fix youth development". What's the endgame for you here?

13 minutes ago, Principal Flutie said:

Aye. We're not talking about a short term problem here. I dare say if any club side had problems of the length and sort that there is at the SFA, there'd be a significant drop in attendances whether it be through deliberate boycott or just not being fucked anymore. 

It's not like it's a mental suggestion to say people should be trying to hit them in the pocket. We've seen enough times now that it can work. Why is wanting to see people do this to the SFA in any way a bad thing?

If you're knowingly supporting the SFA, and you are definitely doing so if you're going to games, and think there's problems that need to be sorted, then you deserve to be called an idiot.

There has been.  Google it.  The problems are systemic, the SFA are answerable to nobody, they're hardly going to resign en masse cause we get a couple of shit crowds.

Really? Another one blaming fans for the audacity to go and support the team. If you apply that twisted logic then football grounds throughout Scotland would be empty.

Here's hoping Hampden is empty on 25th May instead of all those Celtic and Hearts fans filling the SFA coffers. Petrie lovers the lot of them [emoji85]

5 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Really? Another one blaming fans for the audacity to go and support the team. If you apply that twisted logic then football grounds throughout Scotland would be empty.

Here's hoping Hampden is empty on 25th May instead of all those Celtic and Hearts fans filling the SFA coffers. Petrie lovers the lot of them emoji85.png

The whole point in being a fan is you support the team, its emotion not logic.  And when things are bad is when they need you most, the people who go to Scotland games through thick and thin and sing their hearts out and conduct themselves well making friends and being great ambassadors for Scotland are fkn heroes and deserve a medal each.  When we do eventually qualify for something it will be for them, its theirs and never will have a set of supporters have deserved it more.

They are neither all or part of it.

Scotland fans don't elect SFA Presidents or appoint CEO's or managers or coaches, they don't sit on the SFA Board. A few thousand fans boycotting home games wont make a shred of difference to that.

If you want to point the finger of blame, point it towards the clubs. The SFA is a members organisation, as is the SPFL, they have the power to force change or sit on their hands and play the game. They choose the latter. Are you going to boycott your club then?

Bottom line is its not the fault of a guy in jeans or a kilt watching a game of football.

1 hour ago, DAFC. said:

I'd be surprised if there is 15k+ at Hampden for the Cyprus game tbh. The fans are fed up. 

According to Scotland on Sunday the SFA are expecting a crowd of around 15,000 at the Cyprus game and "the figure appears set irrespective of who is in charge". Which is actually quite startling.

10 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

According to Scotland on Sunday the SFA are expecting a crowd of around 15,000 at the Cyprus game and "the figure appears set irrespective of who is in charge". Which is actually quite startling.

I hope that's just journalistic licence, as if that's actually what the SFA are saying, then that is indeed pretty awful.  Basically saying "och well, it doesn't matter what you do, yous lot will never be happy".  They should be doing everything in their power to do something to rise that crowd, rather than just accepting that no-one will be arsed.

Only way the crowd will be much more than 20,000 is if the SFA make a scorcher of a management appointment (unlikely) in time for the game.

I know their hands are tied a bit due to people having season tickets and what not, but a game like this needs played at Tynecastle or Easter Road. Atmosphere in Hampden will be shite.

16 hours ago, craigkillie said:

The only way a boycott can be justifiable is if you have a clear idea of what it is that you'd like to change before you're willing to return. For example, you sometimes see club supporters boycotting in order to force out a particular chairman or owner.

Very specifically, what sort of change is it that you'd like to see at the SFA? What would you like them to do differently? I want actual quantifiable things, not vague statements like "overhaul the blazers" or "fix youth development". What's the endgame for you here?

There was an attempt (still ongoing, I think) to hone a clear manifesto and an approach in the Boycott thread: 

The SFA should be looking at this as a 5-year appointment through to the end of the 2024 Euros, with a break clause in 2022 if the WC qualifying campaign is a fiasco.

Invite applications from suitably qualified applicants (Scottish and foreign), against a written job spec with proper Ts & Cs including a salary range. Prepare a shortlist. Interview everyone on the shortlist. Offer the best candidate the job.

This isn't difficult, it's how any remotely professional organisation conducts its business.

3 hours ago, Sydney Carton said:

The SFA should be looking at this as a 5-year appointment through to the end of the 2024 Euros, with a break clause in 2022 if the WC qualifying campaign is a fiasco.

Invite applications from suitably qualified applicants (Scottish and foreign), against a written job spec with proper Ts & Cs including a salary range. Prepare a shortlist. Interview everyone on the shortlist. Offer the best candidate the job.

This isn't difficult, it's how any remotely professional organisation conducts its business.

They should have started this process weeks and months ago though. Why such the delay in getting rid of Mcleish?

Can't remember how to embed tweets on this (someone tell me plz) but Barry Anderson of the Scotsman tweets:

"Seems Steve Clarke, Derek McInnes, David Moyes, Jack Ross, Scot Gemmill & Malky Mackay in the frame for Scotland job. SFA board met & CEO Ian Maxwell leads recruitment process. Clarke my choice from that list. Disappointed if they don't even try for Slaven Bilic."

From that, I doubt Clarke or Ross would want it now. Derek McInnes might as I have a sneaking suspicion he might call it at Aberdeen this summer. Still seems a bit young. Moyes, Gemmill and Mackay give me the fear.

The BBC has written: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48024584

The eight-strong Scottish FA board must identify someone who will take on a job that pays less than the equivalent at many English Championship clubs and deal with clubs reluctant to release players.

They will consider the following questions:

• Is the candidate looking at this as a stepping stone to a club job?
  • Can he persuade clubs to allow their players to join up and play on artificial pitches?
  • Can he persuade players that qualifying for a major finals can have a positive impact on their careers?
  • Can he unite and galvanise the Tartan Army?

I've no idea if that list of questions is from some sort of source or if its just been invented by the writer. 

You don't want the new manager to wear glasses?

Craig Brown - no glasses.
Craig Levein - glasses.
Alex McLeish - glasses that are too narrow for his face

I’m in favour of a manager who wears a monocle.