Next Scotland Manager

Massive anti racism campaign starting so it would be just like our useless bunch of Kunts to get Malky in. Would be an absolute disgrace in a multicultural national team to have him in charge and the pundits on sportsound dancing around the elephant in the room are complicit. Pathetic. I hate this boycott everything nonsense that goes on these days but I  think it would be completely justified. Protests too

Edited by swing_kinker

1 hour ago, Big Ally said:

Mystified ,why do we need MacKay as a temporary  manager?

Its almost the end of the season so a permanent appointment of someone like Clark would cause minimal disruption to their club .

Having read Malkys comments that got him kicked out of Cardiff, there is no way he can be given such a high profile position even if it is temporary . It would be a National embarrassment .

Appointing Steve Clarke right now, in the middle of a race for a European place, would cause the absolute maximum disruption to Killie.

Guest DAVIDB69
Guus Hiddink won the European Cup and several Dutch titles at PSV and led three different countries to the semi-finals of major competitions (including South Korea and Russia). If that's the sort of manager Bilic is then we're on to a winner.

He is 72 years old now, I think his time has passed

On 4/19/2019 at 21:29, craigkillie said:

This isn't close to being true. A much less drastic scenario is that we take 12 points from our remaining games against Kazakhstan, Cyprus and San Marino, and 4 points against Russia, and Russia lose their remaining match against Belgium. That would guarantee that we finish ahead of Russia on the head-to-head even if we lose both games to Belgium.

Again, for the hard of thinking, I am not suggesting that this is definitely going to happen. I am saying that the campaign is far from over at this stage. The four wins against the sides from the lower pots are clearly doable - three of the matches are at home - and Russia are probably better than us but not so much better than us that we couldn't realistically sneak a home win and an away draw with a bit of luck under a competent manager.

Yeah, you're right.  We're effectively three points behind at this stage, so 4 points would see us back ahead of them.  Tough ask, but hardly "it's all over".  September will be the month that makes or - more likely - breaks us.  Home to both Russia and Belgium.  Lose the first and that's probably it, but win that and it turns things around a bit.  Decent result against Belgium and we can start the path to potential glorious failure again.

10 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Appointing Steve Clarke right now, in the middle of a race for a European place, would cause the absolute maximum disruption to Killie.

I think the point is Scotland dont have a match until after the season is finished, so why appoint Mackay as a "temporary coach", at all.

Scrap that, I've re-read his post.

First question would still stand though, feels like it's pointless appointing someone temporary this early.

Edited by RandomGuy.

I don’t see why the SFA or any Scotland fans should care about disrupting Killie’s European place run, most important thing would be to get the right man in ASAP. FWIW I can’t see Clarke as Scotland manager anytime soon. Don’t think he wants it or the SFA want him. I suspect he’ll be back down south, probably in the upper Championship, next season.

12 hours ago, Big Ally said:

Mystified ,why do we need MacKay as a temporary  manager?

Its almost the end of the season so a permanent appointment of someone like Clark would cause minimal disruption to their club .

Having read Malkys comments that got him kicked out of Cardiff, there is no way he can be given such a high profile position even if it is temporary . It would be a National embarrassment .

He's already managed us on a temporary basis, and the world's still turning.  Not that I want him there, or think it's a particularly good idea, but I'm not sure the hysterics are really necessary. 

6 minutes ago, Enigma said:

I don’t see why the SFA or any Scotland fans should care about disrupting Killie’s European place run, most important thing would be to get the right man in ASAP. FWIW I can’t see Clarke as Scotland manager anytime soon. Don’t think he wants it or the SFA want him. I suspect he’ll be back down south, probably in the upper Championship, next season.

While you're kind of right, I'm not sure there'd be an appetite from the SFA to do it.  They're ultimately shitebags, and so desperate not to offend anyone that they'll likely just offend everyone.  If Clarke was to take it - which I don't think he will, nor am I convinced that he'd actually be that good an appointment (think he'd be far more successful staying in a club role) - then it'll probably be at the end of the season.  The spectre hangs over Killie for the interim and probably derails them a bit, and we still have to rush to get in position for the Cyprus game anyway.  Everyone loses.

Just now, Estragon is a fud said:

Why are they appointing a fucking temporary coach now? We've got two must win games in June for f**k sake. We need someone in permanently by then.

Because, it always needs said, they're absolute shitebags.  They'll probably be privately terrified of making another mistake, so waste their time humming and hawing, then realise they've fucked it, and hire someone shite anyway.  Putting any caretaker boss in place delays them having to make an ultimate choice.

46 minutes ago, Staggie_93 said:

Mackay would be the final straw for me and I suspect many more.

I think there's zero chance of him being given the job on a full time basis.  

He probably shouldn't be in his current position, let alone head coach of the national team.  

On ‎18‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 18:24, Diamonds are Forever said:

Not sure who I want, I think the most important factor is finding a manager who is able to create a positive atmosphere and environment that players want to be part of. We can't afford to be alienating players, and if you create that environment then motivation takes care of itself. Never really convinced that being a great coach or tactical genius matters at this level. Gareth Southgate is hardly a great coach or tactician, hell, Chris Coleman got a side to the semi-finals. Guys who were duds at club level. But they created an environment where the best players wanted to turn up and felt confident.

Strachan seemed to be a bit hit or miss with that, if your face fitted he was really loyal and the players were loyal back. However if he didn't like you, like Charlie Adam, you were out and that was that. He could have been that guy to create that environment, but his stubbornness was his downfall. We need someone who can create a 'happy camp' but without the stubbornness. If we get all our best players turning up and valuing the national team again then we are halfway there, then on top of that as long as the manager is competent enough to pick the best players available at the time the we will give ourselves a shot. We still have a hugely inbalanced squad, but until that fixes itself we must make the best of the players available, something that Levein, Strachan and McLeish have failed to do.

Spot on, creating the right environment is crucial, players will then want to turn up.

Probably the Smith/McCoist/Burns era was the last time we had that sort of environment, as you say, Strachan was almost there but was still a b*stard towards some players.

23 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I think there's zero chance of him being given the job on a full time basis.  

He probably shouldn't be in his current position, let alone head coach of the national team.  

As when this always comes up, you can put what he's done in his private life completely aside and still come to the same conclusion, certainly for the management job.  I'd always look at his suitability for the position ability-wise first, and I'd say he fails that, before you look at anything he's said.

I suspect the SFA don't think that way, but I think no matter the absolute clangers they've dropped in the past, I don't think there's any appetite for him to do anything full-time.  Whether that's in fear of the backlash, or purely because they think he's better in the woolly role he's got is debatable.

And also interesting the near-universal support convicted steamboat driver Michael O'Neill got when he was up for the job compared to the vilification Mackay got.  Granted, one is a far better fit for the job ability-wise presumably, but both did some pretty horrific things that deserve to be called out.  Only one really still does though.

Malky Mackay isn't the man for the job regardless of what he done in the past - and he should be allowed to move on from that.

Go and speak to Clarke now and if he is interested, confirm him on Monday 20th May when Killie's season is over.  If he isn't interested, then open it up to applications (although that could potentially be a long drawn out clusterf*ck)

3 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

Go and speak to Clarke now and if he is interested, confirm him on Monday 20th May when Killie's season is over.  If he isn't interested...……….

and she does a good job with the girls this summer, then give the job to Shelley Kerr.

Why not? if its basically about building a happy camp, she can do this. 

Edited by Jimbo Jagsfan
a bit should have been outside the quote box

Appointing Shelley Kerr would be an absolute dumpster fire.

Not because of anything to do with her, mind.  I expect she'd probably do an alright job.  But I expect the extra attention from absolute mouth-breathers would completely ruin it.  Wasn't there that woman that took control of a French team a while back?  Massive fanfare made about it, each side doing their usual and covering themselves in glory ("A woman?!  A WOMAN?!"/"Totes misogynistic to say she can't do it") and then she ended up sacking it after a few weeks, probably couldn't be arsed with the bother.  

It's a shame that that would be the case, really is, but I'm not sure the SFA can afford to take the chance.

She wouldn't do a decent job, she hasn't even managed a men's team at amateur level and the men's game is very different from women's football. It would likely be a disaster.

If a female manager was ever to be seriously considered she would have to have some kind of track record in managing men's football. 

Not because of anything to do with her, mind.  I expect she'd probably do an alright job.  But I expect the extra attention from absolute mouth-breathers would completely ruin it.  Wasn't there that woman that took control of a French team a while back?  Massive fanfare made about it, each side doing their usual and covering themselves in glory ("A woman?!  A WOMAN?!"/"Totes misogynistic to say she can't do it") and then she ended up sacking it after a few weeks, probably couldn't be arsed with the bother.  
It's a shame that that would be the case, really is, but I'm not sure the SFA can afford to take the chance.
Helena Costa at Clermont Foot who was in the job about a month in 2014. Was actually replaced by another female in Corrine Dacre who had the job for three years and now manages the women's national team.

7 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:
22 minutes ago, forameus said:

Helena Costa at Clermont Foot who was in the job about a month in 2014. Was actually replaced by another female in Corrine Dacre who had the job for three years and now manages the women's national team.

Fair enough, hadn't realised that.

I think the main point still stands though.  Certain elements of the "Tartan Army" had a complete head's gone when we had a pink strip, can only imagine what they'd think of a wummin managing.

And for the avoidance of doubt, I'm not entirely against it.  I hate the tokenism we see today in the workplace of mandating the interview of certain candidates with a passion, and can never understand why we can't just get to the stage of hiring the best person for the job, regardless of sex, age, race or preferences.  If Shelley Kerr gives the best interview, she gets the job.  At least that's how it should be.

Edited by forameus