Next Scotland Manager

1 hour ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Fair do's if thats the case. The Celtic job is a more attractive position than the Scotland one, especially if he is a Celtic man. Open goal at 10 in a row, on the other hand a decent shout at getting Scotland to the Euros.

He's a Killie fan.

I know there don't seem to be many other obvious candidates, but what has Bilic done to be such a popular choice? Did an average job with a talented Croatian side, and has a 'mixed' (to put it kindly) record at club level. Seems to have made a career out of having a personality, not his managerial skills.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

6 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I know there don't seem to be many other obvious candidates, but what has Bilic done to be such a popular choice? Did an average job with a talented Croation side, and has a 'mixed' (to put it kindly) record at club level. Seems to have made a career out of having a personality, not his managerial skills.

Describing the job he did with Croatia as average is a bit harsh. Took them to the quarter finals of 08 where they were eliminated on penalties after winning their qualifying group and winning every game in the tournament group, failed to make the playoffs for 2010 by one point, then qualified for 2012 through the playoffs and were eliminated in the group stage with 4 points behind Spain & Italy, the eventual finalists.

That’s hardly brilliant overachievement and failing to make the World Cup playoffs behind Ukraine was poor, but I think the tournament performances merit it being called a good job overall rather than just average.

5 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Describing the job he did with Croatia as average is a bit harsh. Took them to the quarter finals of 08 where they were eliminated on penalties after winning their qualifying group and winning every game in the tournament group, failed to make the playoffs for 2010 by one point, then qualified for 2012 through the playoffs and were eliminated in the group stage with 4 points behind Spain & Italy, the eventual finalists.

That’s hardly brilliant overachievement and failing to make the World Cup playoffs behind Ukraine was poor, but I think the tournament performances merit it being called a good job overall rather than just average.

He would certainly represent an upgrade on any manager we've had since the 80s.  That's good enough for me.

18 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

A quarter final, not qualifying, and then a group stage exit I'd say is bang on average. Particularly with the players he had, his whole team was full of players playing at a high level in various leagues across Europe. If that's all he managed with Modric, Mandzukic, Rakitic, Eduardo, Olic etc I don't hold much faith that he's going to achieve much with Oli McBurnie and Scott McKenna, admittedly with much lower expectations. Add in his club record and I see no real reason why he should be considered. He seems to have been stuck in the consciousness of fans in the UK ever since the 2008 qualifying campaign, despite the evidence since then indicating he isn't a particularly good manager. Like I said, I think his character and appearances as a good pundit during Championships has given him a status higher than his ability deserves.

We need someone with a track record of getting the best of what they have available and over achieving, willing to be proved wrong but I'm not aware of Bilic ever having done that. Finishing above England in the 2008 campaign arguably the only occasion, although when you actually look at those 2 sides those results were not major surprises.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

39 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I know there don't seem to be many other obvious candidates, but what has Bilic done to be such a popular choice? Did an average job with a talented Croation side, and has a 'mixed' (to put it kindly) record at club level. Seems to have made a career out of having a personality, not his managerial skills.

He's one of those "flavour of the month" unemployed managers that people nominate for no real reason.

1 minute ago, Kuro said:

For being better than the other candidates memtioned you mean.

Yes, the candidates being mentioned by the same lazy, unimaginative journalists that were hyping Smith and McLeish the last time. We need people to actually do some proper research and hard work into suitable candidates, not just pluck a name off the same lists that get passed around every time there is a vacancy.

1 minute ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Yes, the candidates being mentioned by the same lazy, unimaginative journalists that were hyping Smith and McLeish the last time. We need people to actually do some proper research and hard work into suitable candidates, not just pluck a name off the same lists that get passed around every time there is a vacancy.

Agree with that.  If that was done billic would be on any list.drawn up,he's an excellent candidate.

Clarke is clearly the best Scottish choice but I have a feeling it won’t happen. Moyes would be an improvement on McLeish and Strachan but still hardly the most inspiring choice - he’d have us far more organised but I can imagine being a bit like Levein in playing for 1-0 wins against shite like Lithuania and Liechtenstein.

Bilic is hardly the messiah but a look at his records reads far more favourably than McLeish, Strachan, Levein, Burley etc. Given the SFAs track record of appointing managers he’d be a significant step up.

Just now, Kuro said:

The excellent work he did with Croatia,  read previous page.

Yes, as I pointed out his time at Croatia was not particularly successful despite a really talented squad, it was more a case of what could have been, as he has admitted. Losing to Turkey in a quarter final in 2008 was a huge missed opportunity, they then didn't qualify for the 2010 World Cup and failed to get out the group in 2012 (a tough group admittedly). There isn't really much there to go on to say that 7-10 years later he is a suitable candidate for this job.

7 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Yes, as I pointed out his time at Croatia was not particularly successful despite a really talented squad, it was more a case of what could have been, as he has admitted. Losing to Turkey in a quarter final in 2008 was a huge missed opportunity, they then didn't qualify for the 2010 World Cup and failed to get out the group in 2012 (a tough group admittedly). There isn't really much there to go on to say that 7-10 years later he is a suitable candidate for this job.

Your definition of success for a country of 3 million is very unrealistic.  What you typed is a success story.  Losing to a country of 72 million isn't failure.