Next Scotland Manager

The Times, The Telegraph and The Scotsman are reporting Scot Gemmill is currently considered favourite. He has supposedly "had a successful stint with the U21s and is highly regarded among the SFA hierarchy".

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/scot-gemmill-a-gamble-worth-taking-for-scotland-27d6727x8

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/strong-favourite-emerges-for-scotland-job-and-its-not-malky-mackay-or-gordon-strachan-1-4911534

There is also a suggestion he and Mackay may jointly be given temporary charge for the June games as an 'interim measure'.

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/other-football/malky-mackay-scot-gemmill-could-16152892

Masse boycott if either of those trumpets are in the dugout.

It will be them sadly, at least for the June games.

Project Brave, a massive bag of shite, is still supposed to be the big thing to change our game, yet the guy they've hired for it clearly doesn't care, as shown by his desperation for the Scotland job last time around and this time around. He can't be arsed to see it through, and if the SFA were serious about it they should be telling him that he won't be considered for the Scotland job as heading up Project Brave is his job and all his focus should be on that.

Project Brave however is garbage, and the SFA have hired a cretin for the role and one who, as well as being utterly unsuitable for it in the first place, quite clearly was never going to see it through. It'll be scrapped within a couple of years after being on it's 3rd or 4th incumbent, and we'll go right back to square one.

22 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

It will be them sadly, at least for the June games.

Project Brave, a massive bag of shite, is still supposed to be the big thing to change our game, yet the guy they've hired for it clearly doesn't care, as shown by his desperation for the Scotland job last time around and this time around. He can't be arsed to see it through, and if the SFA were serious about it they should be telling him that he won't be considered for the Scotland job as heading up Project Brave is his job and all his focus should be on that.

Project Brave however is garbage, and the SFA have hired a cretin for the role and one who, as well as being utterly unsuitable for it in the first place, quite clearly was never going to see it through. It'll be scrapped within a couple of years after being on it's 3rd or 4th incumbent, and we'll go right back to square one.

Was there really "desperation" for the job?  Didn't he come out and say he didn't want it full time?  Granted, that's probably platitudes, but he's never really struck me as being anything other than filling in a role.  Probably because he knows he's onto a big loss with it.

1 hour ago, Aidan said:
2 hours ago, Jeremiah_Cole said:
In his first season at West Brom, they finished 8th, their highest finish since 1981. He set club records for highest number of wins (14) and points (48) in a Premier League season.
During that season, they won 4 consecutive league matches in a row for the first time since 1980. He was named Premier League manager of the month in November 2012.
He was effectively sacked by West Brom the following season in December whilst sitting 16th in the table. Look where they are now!
He took the Reading job half way through a season, saved them from relegation and got them to their first FA Cup Semi Final in 88 years, only losing 2-1 to Arsenal after extra time. He was sacked half way through the following season after talking to Fulham about taking over at Craven Cottage.
So he only ever had one full season as a manager in England and his record in that season was exceptional. In his 3 other half seasons, he managed a 16th placing in the Premiership, saved a club from relegation and got them to an FA Cup Semi Final.
Allied to his record at Kilmarnock and his assistant manager experience at Newcastle, Chelsea, West Ham and Liverpool, he is by far the best candidate.

And while I'm at it, I always thought it a disgrace that Clarke won only 6 caps for Scotland while Tom Boyd won 72. They were both at Chelsea at the same time for a short period and whereas Clarke established himself as a regular and played over 300 games, Boyd was papped out after 6 months in a swap deal for Tony Cascarino! emoji38.png

Did he not actually have an absolutely shocking second half of the season at West Brom in 12/13 which continued on to the start of 13/14?

Depends on what you would label as "shocking". They finished in 8th position, the highest they've managed in the past 38 years!

They won 30 points in the first half of the season and 19 in the second half. If they'd won only 19 in the first half of the season it would still have been enough to avoid relegation.

Depends on what you would label as "shocking". They finished in 8th position, the highest they've managed in the past 38 years!
They won 30 points in the first half of the season and 19 in the second half. If they'd won only 19 in the first half of the season it would still have been enough to avoid relegation.

Fair enough I had it in my head that it was worse than that but i stand corrected.

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

The Times, The Telegraph and The Scotsman are reporting Scot Gemmill is currently considered favourite. He has supposedly "had a successful stint with the U21s and is highly regarded among the SFA hierarchy".

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/scot-gemmill-a-gamble-worth-taking-for-scotland-27d6727x8

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/strong-favourite-emerges-for-scotland-job-and-its-not-malky-mackay-or-gordon-strachan-1-4911534

There is also a suggestion he and Mackay may jointly be given temporary charge for the June games as an 'interim measure'.

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/other-football/malky-mackay-scot-gemmill-could-16152892

What's the only thing worse than Malky Mackay or Scott Gemmill getting the job?

Them both getting it :lol:

Fair fucks to the SFA if they manage a level of shiteness I had no idea was possible.

25 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Said tongue in cheek, but I wouldn't say no to Pulis.

Not many, do lest they want nutted in the showers (phrasing)

19 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

What's the only thing worse than Malky Mackay or Scott Gemmill getting the job?

Them both getting it :lol:

Fair fucks to the SFA if they manage a level of shiteness I had no idea was possible.

It really is something, isn't it?  It's like they've decided to see what sort of banter they can get away with since the first time Strachan should have probably been punted.  You could argue it's gone back further, I suppose.

17 hours ago, Mattmc said:

Some mentalist that will set fire to your house or eat your kids if pull out of their squad.

I really struggle to think of anyone fit for the job,  that would actually want it and do a better job than our last couple of managers.  Names like Steve Clark are great but how realistic are the chances of getting him.

If only that lad Welsh hadn’t been shot!

Chic Charnley?

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Said tongue in cheek, but I wouldn't say no to Pulis.

In a similar vein, I'm ashamed to say it but I like Neil Warnock and think he'd do well.

A cheaper version of Pulis but if you look at him club-to-club, he's actually got a really good record. His curse seems to be that he always takes over teams who just don't give him the finance at top flight level (apart from QPR who gave him money like a week before the window). He's also got a really good big game record (and maybe just getting them back into the fight with a couple of huge wins recently).

We could maybe see if there is a loophole and could somehow play Sol Bamba to solve our defensive woes.

Of course he should've been sacked. He had two full campaign failures.  As for a great double act. You are surely taking the piss.

You don’t sack a manager on the way up. We were unbeaten in 2017 and in good form. If we were going to sack the manager ( which I don’t think we should of) do it after Euro 16 qualifiers

8 hours ago, FullTimePint said:

I think we are in a relatively similar position (squad wise) to when the Berti Vogts experiment went wrong. McLeish came in, when a lot of the stalwarts from the Strachan reign were fading away, and the younger guys coming through had not really been tested or bled into the international picture.

Mcleish had a tough job to find a way to gel and integrate a squad quickly with new players and a system that worked. Not an excuse for him, these things are the job of the manager - but i think anyone and everyone but the SFA could see that he would make a james hunt of this. 

The problem we have now tho, is that we are mid qualifying campaign. If you bring in someone who is unfamiliar with the players, then we go back to square one, of trying and testing systems and players in competitive games. Which is why i think we need to go 'local'. Similar to when the Vogts campaign ended, we turned to the Smith/Burns/McCoist to get the best out of players they were already familiar with.

The candidates for me 

For me from the 'damaged goods' pile: Paul Lambert, Craig Levein,

From the 'Holy shit the SFA are listening' pile: Davie Moyes, Steve Clarke 

From the 'Am i awake' pile: Wenger, Mourinho, 

And the 'Dont even joke about it' pile: Malky McKay, John Hughes, 

Don't agree, any good foreign manager who isn't an idiot woukd get to grips with our squad within a fortnight.

If it is a scot Clarke is the pick of the bunch, reasonable record with English teams, worked wonders with killie and has worked under top managers at big clubs. What he's done in ayrshire proves he's a guy who has players running through brick walls.

What will we get the cheapest out of work member of the old boys club they can find.

39 minutes ago, harry94 said:

In a similar vein, I'm ashamed to say it but I like Neil Warnock and think he'd do well.

A cheaper version of Pulis but if you look at him club-to-club, he's actually got a really good record. His curse seems to be that he always takes over teams who just don't give him the finance at top flight level (apart from QPR who gave him money like a week before the window). He's also got a really good big game record (and maybe just getting them back into the fight with a couple of huge wins recently).

We could maybe see if there is a loophole and could somehow play Sol Bamba to solve our defensive woes.

Neil Warnock is no better than Mackay.

Some his quotes are a literal bawhair away from full on racism. 

The SFA should be looking for a manager who's a good organiser, who's respected in the game, and is a good man-manager.    And that man is Steve Clarke.     

He transformed Kilmarnock without a budget to spend, has made them organised, and has proven himself able to get results against teams of higher stature.     

And the appointment needs to be done ASAP - not after we limp to 1 point from the Cyprus/Belgium double header.   

3 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

If fucking Scott Gemmill and Malkkky McKay are the level the muppets at the SFA are scrabbling around at, then Scotland will be shite for the foreseeable future.

The players aren’t the best. The SFA need to give them some sort of chance by appointing a decent management team. One that can at least enthuse them enough to turn up and play.

That suggestion about picking the team by committee again is a better shout than Gemmill and Malky.

Edited by Scary Bear