Next Scotland Manager

If the SFA are even considering Malkkky or Gemill then it just shows they're either completely out of touch, or frankly don't give a shite, about the opinions of the supporters.
If they thought we were unhappy with Mcleish in charge, just wait til they appoint either of those two clowns.

2 hours ago, FullTimePint said:

I think we are in a relatively similar position (squad wise) to when the Berti Vogts experiment went wrong. McLeish came in, when a lot of the stalwarts from the Strachan reign were fading away, and the younger guys coming through had not really been tested or bled into the international picture.

Mcleish had a tough job to find a way to gel and integrate a squad quickly with new players and a system that worked. Not an excuse for him, these things are the job of the manager - but i think anyone and everyone but the SFA could see that he would make a james hunt of this. 

The problem we have now tho, is that we are mid qualifying campaign. If you bring in someone who is unfamiliar with the players, then we go back to square one, of trying and testing systems and players in competitive games. Which is why i think we need to go 'local'. Similar to when the Vogts campaign ended, we turned to the Smith/Burns/McCoist to get the best out of players they were already familiar with.

The candidates for me 

For me from the 'damaged goods' pile: Paul Lambert, Craig Levein,

From the 'Holy shit the SFA are listening' pile: Davie Moyes, Steve Clarke 

From the 'Am i awake' pile: Wenger, Mourinho, 

And the 'Dont even joke about it' pile: Malky McKay, John Hughes, 

The campaign is pretty much over. Get in a good appointment and get this local chat away.

Allow them the campaign to prepare for the playoffs.

14 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Also, it says something that despite his appalling track record, the main reason I don't want Steve McClaren as manager is because I couldn't cope with the amount of people on here who would misspell his name. 

I disagree. I think Stevie MacLaren's record was decent.

Edited by Jeremiah_Cole

3 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Pat Nevin is no idiot.  I find it really hard to believe that he actually said Gordon Strachan is "the best in the business".  

He always comes across well on the Totally Football Show, but that's largely discussions around the PL and European leagues. Perhaps he's a bit too close to give an impartial view on this.

Steve McLaren :lol:

Appreciate QPR aren't in the greatest of financial situations at present, but they didn't seem too upset when he was sacked. Had them sleepwalking to relegation after a run of 7 straight defeats and didn't appear to have much about him tactically.

Beyond that I'm struggling to see anything recent on his CV that would suggest he's still got 'it'. Two unremarkable spells at Derby either side of helping to relegate Newcastle.

Not to mention his international pedigree which is being the only England manager to fail to qualify in the last 2 decades.

Edited by lanky_ffc

2 hours ago, dorlomin said:

Steve Clarke has had a couple of good seasons at one club,

In his first season at West Brom, they finished 8th, their highest finish since 1981. He set club records for highest number of wins (14) and points (48) in a Premier League season.

During that season, they won 4 consecutive league matches in a row for the first time since 1980. He was named Premier League manager of the month in November 2012.

He was effectively sacked by West Brom the following season in December whilst sitting 16th in the table. Look where they are now!

He took the Reading job half way through a season, saved them from relegation and got them to their first FA Cup Semi Final in 88 years, only losing 2-1 to Arsenal after extra time. He was sacked half way through the following season after talking to Fulham about taking over at Craven Cottage.

So he only ever had one full season as a manager in England and his record in that season was exceptional. In his 3 other half seasons, he managed a 16th placing in the Premiership, saved a club from relegation and got them to an FA Cup Semi Final.

Allied to his record at Kilmarnock and his assistant manager experience at Newcastle, Chelsea, West Ham and Liverpool, he is by far the best candidate.

And while I'm at it, I always thought it a disgrace that Clarke won only 6 caps for Scotland while Tom Boyd won 72. They were both at Chelsea at the same time for a short period and whereas Clarke established himself as a regular and played over 300 games, Boyd was papped out after 6 months in a swap deal for Tony Cascarino! :lol:

51 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

The campaign is pretty much over. Get in a good appointment and get this local chat away.

Allow them the campaign to prepare for the playoffs.

Pretty much over? We have only played a couple of games! 'Bring them in now to prepare for next qualifiers/playoffs etc etc..' has been the story of the scotland team for too long, and probably an excuse we give ourselves to write off what is happening at the moment, on the expectation it will get better.

No foreign or big name coach worth their salt would touch this job a) because the SFA clearly dont know what they are looking for b) they wont pay the cash for a big name.

Bringing in a Scot at least leans on the patriotic element that may actually help us snag someone decent. We actually dont need to be world beaters to get qualification for tournaments, enough teams are proving this. We just need to establish and concentrate on a style of play that suits the team, and a manager with a little bit of tactical ability should provide this.

7 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

Steve McLaren :lol:

Appreciate QPR aren't in the greatest of financial situations at present, but they didn't seem too upset when he was sacked. Had them sleepwalking to relegation after a run of 7 straight defeats and didn't appear to have much about him tactically.

Beyond that I'm struggling to see anything recent on his CV that would suggest he's still got 'it'. Two unremarkable spells at Derby either side of helping to relegate Newcastle.

Not to mention his international pedigree which is being the only England manager to fail to qualify in the last 2 decades.

The SFA-sponsored irony of getting in someone with international experience would be them getting someone with a shite international experience.  Claudio Ranieri or something.

1 minute ago, FullTimePint said:

Pretty much over? We have only played a couple of games! 'Bring them in now to prepare for next qualifiers/playoffs etc etc..' has been the story of the scotland team for too long, and probably an excuse we give ourselves to write off what is happening at the moment, on the expectation it will get better.

No foreign or big name coach worth their salt would touch this job a) because the SFA clearly dont know what they are looking for b) they wont pay the cash for a big name.

Bringing in a Scot at least leans on the patriotic element that may actually help us snag someone decent. We actually dont need to be world beaters to get qualification for tournaments, enough teams are proving this. We just need to establish and concentrate on a style of play that suits the team, and a manager with a little bit of tactical ability should provide this.

It's not truly over, but it now requires Russia and/or Belgium to really slip up, or for us to take 6 from Russia and probably something from Belgium.  That's unlikely, but admittedly not impossible.

In terms of the story of the Scotland team, we've often brought in managers at the wrong time.  We hung onto Levein too long, and Strachan's new manager bounce came when results were irrelevant.  We brought in McLeish at a decent time, but he was the wrong option, leading to us scrambling at a shit time again.  We should be changing managers, if required, between campaigns, but that doesn't allow for things going absolutely fucking wrong as it has now.

As for the last bits, that seems to be a bit of a defeatist attitude.  If we're taking a Scottish option because we think no-one else will be interested, and leaning on the "patriotic element", then we may as well just give up.  Just get a good manager, it really isn't that hard, no matter how hard the SFA make it look.  Let them draw up a shortlist, and then immediately exclude everyone on it.  Then start again.

Edited by forameus

3 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Pat Nevin is no idiot.  I find it really hard to believe that he actually said Gordon Strachan is "the best in the business".  

I assume he meant amongst Scottish managers. I don't agree, or disagree, with that opinion. Any other interpretation seems unlikely, or is complete lunacy which Nevin doesn't normally seem capable of.

36 minutes ago, FullTimePint said:

Yes, pretty much over. Recent history has shown that such results mean we don't qualify. Unless we somehow beat Russia or Belgium then we're already done.

There is no patriotic element, and there hasn't been for a long time. Even if there was, what Scottish manager is doing really well right now and who would consider the job?

In his first season at West Brom, they finished 8th, their highest finish since 1981. He set club records for highest number of wins (14) and points (48) in a Premier League season.
During that season, they won 4 consecutive league matches in a row for the first time since 1980. He was named Premier League manager of the month in November 2012.
He was effectively sacked by West Brom the following season in December whilst sitting 16th in the table. Look where they are now!
He took the Reading job half way through a season, saved them from relegation and got them to their first FA Cup Semi Final in 88 years, only losing 2-1 to Arsenal after extra time. He was sacked half way through the following season after talking to Fulham about taking over at Craven Cottage.
So he only ever had one full season as a manager in England and his record in that season was exceptional. In his 3 other half seasons, he managed a 16th placing in the Premiership, saved a club from relegation and got them to an FA Cup Semi Final.
Allied to his record at Kilmarnock and his assistant manager experience at Newcastle, Chelsea, West Ham and Liverpool, he is by far the best candidate.

And while I'm at it, I always thought it a disgrace that Clarke won only 6 caps for Scotland while Tom Boyd won 72. They were both at Chelsea at the same time for a short period and whereas Clarke established himself as a regular and played over 300 games, Boyd was papped out after 6 months in a swap deal for Tony Cascarino! [emoji38]
Did he not actually have an absolutely shocking second half of the season at West Brom in 12/13 which continued on to the start of 13/14?

3 hours ago, Blootoon87 said:

If the SFA are even considering Malkkky or Gemill then it just shows they're either completely out of touch, or frankly don't give a shite, about the opinions of the supporters.
If they thought we were unhappy with Mcleish in charge, just wait til they appoint either of those two clowns.

The Times, The Telegraph and The Scotsman are reporting Scot Gemmill is currently considered favourite. He has supposedly "had a successful stint with the U21s and is highly regarded among the SFA hierarchy".

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/scot-gemmill-a-gamble-worth-taking-for-scotland-27d6727x8

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/strong-favourite-emerges-for-scotland-job-and-its-not-malky-mackay-or-gordon-strachan-1-4911534

There is also a suggestion he and Mackay may jointly be given temporary charge for the June games as an 'interim measure'.

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/other-football/malky-mackay-scot-gemmill-could-16152892

Edited by HibeeJibee

The Times, The Telegraph and The Scotsman are reporting Scot Gemmill is currently considered favourite. He has supposedly "had a successful stint with the U21s and is highly regarded among the SFA hierarchy".

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/scot-gemmill-a-gamble-worth-taking-for-scotland-27d6727x8

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/strong-favourite-emerges-for-scotland-job-and-its-not-malky-mackay-or-gordon-strachan-1-4911534

There is also a suggestion he and Mackay may jointly be given temporary charge for the June games as an 'interim measure'.

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/other-football/malky-mackay-scot-gemmill-could-16152892

Record low attendance if so.