Next Scotland Manager

After the Kazakhstan game Willie Miller was telling us that McLeish had earned us the play-off spot through the Nations League and he "deserved" the chance to take us through those matches. He now seems to be saying that Mcleish needs to be given until the matches at home to Cyprus and away to Belgium :bag in June. If we don't beat Cyprus he'll surely be gone. 

12 hours ago, Principal Flutie said:

Naw sure on Steve Redgrave's credentials tbh.

"If you ever see me near the Hampden dugouts again, you have my permission to shoot me"

27 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

If we don't beat Cyprus he'll surely be gone. 

I wouldn't be so sure.  Next round of games, Belgium have us and Kazakhstan, Russia have San Marino and Cyprus.  They're both likely to get 6 points from that.  If we lose to Cyprus, then by the end of the window we'll be 9 behind Belgium and 6 behind Russia.  

The next window, however, is probably the most likely point.  We play Russia and Belgium, both at home.  I think we stand a chance against Russia, maybe even a tiny one of a point against Belgium, but most likely we'll lose both.  We'll then be mathematically unable to catch Belgium, and Russia would effectively be out of sight (barring them losing every game, and us bettering their result from Hampden).  I think that's the point they could act, and I can't see them doing it any earlier.

BUT, the playoff spectre is the big unknown.  Do you give McLeish the chance to finish what he started?  Do you risk he'll f**k that up too?  Or do you accept we're on a path to ruin and try and get someone in for those near life-or-death two games?

Remember, this is the SFA.

1 hour ago, forameus said:

"If you ever see me near the Hampden dugouts again, you have my permission to shoot me"

I wouldn't be so sure.  Next round of games, Belgium have us and Kazakhstan, Russia have San Marino and Cyprus.  They're both likely to get 6 points from that.  If we lose to Cyprus, then by the end of the window we'll be 9 behind Belgium and 6 behind Russia.  

The next window, however, is probably the most likely point.  We play Russia and Belgium, both at home.  I think we stand a chance against Russia, maybe even a tiny one of a point against Belgium, but most likely we'll lose both.  We'll then be mathematically unable to catch Belgium, and Russia would effectively be out of sight (barring them losing every game, and us bettering their result from Hampden).  I think that's the point they could act, and I can't see them doing it any earlier.

BUT, the playoff spectre is the big unknown.  Do you give McLeish the chance to finish what he started?  Do you risk he'll f**k that up too?  Or do you accept we're on a path to ruin and try and get someone in for those near life-or-death two games?

Remember, this is the SFA.

Absolutely not. He can't be trusted with such a massive game. Bin him now.

Almost certainly the SFA won't do a thing and will keep him in place until that game(s).

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

Absolutely not. He can't be trusted with such a massive game. Bin him now.

Almost certainly the SFA won't do a thing and will keep him in place until that game(s).

Well my questions were more from their perspective.  While I agree at this stage that giving him the playoffs would be the wrong way to go, I can see why there would be reticence from the SFA, above the usual indecision they exhibit.  

Don't know why anyone wouldn't want Steve Clarke or see him as anything other than a fantastic candidate. He has a reputation as an excellent coach, which is as important at international level as the management side of things. A brilliant man-manager, too, and his record at Killie shows that he is tactically flexible and could assimilate well to the horses-for-courses nature of international football. Gets the best out of and improves ostensibly poor/average players, while finding ways to allow classier performers to shine. I cant think of a single Killie player who hasn't markedly improved under his management, and the club is punching well above its weight. What impresses me the most is that tactical flexibility and their ability to be organised and battle against much better sides, while also having in their arsenal the ability to take the game to teams and dominate possession.

His comments and demeanour after being subjected to sectarian abuse to me ran deeper than just indignation or anger; he was genuinely hurt, hopeless almost. I can't see him wanting to stick about up here for long after that if he gets a good offer, as he seems like the kind of guy who doesn't have time for that shite. We should be sounding him out at the very least; it could well be that he's no interest in not being involved day-to-day, but as stated previously it would allow him to base himself elsewhere. Rangers fans don't bother supporting the national team anyway, so it's not like that would remain any issue. 

22 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

Don't know why anyone wouldn't want Steve Clarke or see him as anything other than a fantastic candidate. He has a reputation as an excellent coach, which is as important at international level as the management side of things. A brilliant man-manager, too, and his record at Killie shows that he is tactically flexible and could assimilate well to the horses-for-courses nature of international football. Gets the best out of and improves ostensibly poor/average players, while finding ways to allow classier performers to shine. I cant think of a single Killie player who hasn't markedly improved under his management, and the club is punching well above its weight. What impresses me the most is that tactical flexibility and their ability to be organised and battle against much better sides, while also having in their arsenal the ability to take the game to teams and dominate possession.

His comments and demeanour after being subjected to sectarian abuse to me ran deeper than just indignation or anger; he was genuinely hurt, hopeless almost. I can't see him wanting to stick about up here for long after that if he gets a good offer, as he seems like the kind of guy who doesn't have time for that shite. We should be sounding him out at the very least; it could well be that he's no interest in not being involved day-to-day, but as stated previously it would allow him to base himself elsewhere. Rangers fans don't bother supporting the national team anyway, so it's not like that would remain any issue. 

This is a brilliant post, but I'm out of greenies.