Next Scotland Manager

Scotland was willing to pay £1million per year and Northern Ireland 600-700k.    For most normal folk that means Scotland wasn't only able to compete with Northern Ireland, but instead have far far more financial clout.    

A few years ago you'd have understood this before you turned into the forums' Aung san suu Kyi.     

So why didn’t he leave and you washed up with a 7th choice, absolute mess of a manager instead?

8 minutes ago, virginton said:

So why didn’t he leave and you washed up with a 7th choice, absolute mess of a manager instead?

Did he not got a 6 year contract, at £650k a year, at NI?

He'll make a fucking mint off that contract, knowing that what hes achieved there means hes virtually unsackable. 

It's an absolute no brainer that he didn't leave for Scotland.

We ended up with an alcoholic in charge because his mates made the decision and he was facing a huge bill thanks to the EBT saga. All his debts will be paid off thanks to him getting hired.

8 hours ago, DanMc99 said:

see international managers like troussier, herve renard,bruno metsu, all guys going to african nations and doing reasonably well, why can't we go down that route?

They aren't Scottish.

Bobby Williamson, on the other hand...

50 minutes ago, Craig McCulloch Burley said:

Gemmill was fantastic job with Scotland U21s to beat France, Brazil, Turkey and any big internatioanal

He did well with Scotland U20s at Toulon.

His record with our actual U21s has been poor... he's won 4 games out of 17. He's been beaten home-n-away by FYR Macedonia, spanked by Ukraine and Slovakia, lost to Iceland and failed to beat Andorra, Estonia or Latvia (latter 2 at home). Against that background the pair of wins over Netherlands looks ever more astonishing, but the fact is we finished 5th in qualifying for Euro U21 2017 and 4th in qualifying for Euro U21 2019.

Still there's always consolation - in the upcoming campaign we only need to finish above 2 or 3 out of Croatia, Czech Republic and Greece...

Edited by HibeeJibee

Scott Gemmill is a fucking dinosaur who was shite for the U19s but somehow got promoted purely because he was already hired by the SFA.

Him and Sbragia simply swapping jobs when both starting underperforming is just another fine example of the issues Scottish football faces at International level.

1 minute ago, virginton said:

In Michael's own words "I felt it was the right thing to do. It was very difficult, I wish Scotland and their next manager well. Ultimately it's very difficult once you've led your own country to leave for another country."  

So nothing to do with the enormous wage hike Scotland was offering him, or the enormous £500k compensation package agreed between the FA's.    

4 hours ago, virginton said:

Scotland couldn't even compete with the failed statelet for Michael O'Neill's services, so having no credible budget is an already proven fact. 

^^^^

Dustbin post.  

He did well with Scotland U20s at Toulon.

His record with our actual U21s has been poor... he's won 4 games out of 17. He's been beaten home-n-away by FYR Macedonia, spanked by Ukraine and Slovakia, lost to Iceland and failed to beat Andorra, Estonia or Latvia (latter 2 at home). Against that background the pair of wins over Netherlands looks ever more astonishing, but the fact is we finished 5th in qualifying for Euro U21 2017 and 4th in qualifying for Euro U21 2019.

Still there's always consolation - in the upcoming campaign we only need to finish above 2 or 3 out of Croatia, Czech Republic and Greece...

Lest we forget, Scotland sent their under 21 squad to play in Toulon, against Under 20s and younger. It’s arguable if they actually did well. But either way they were just brutal to watch.

The main criteria for the job should be to appoint someone who has actually qualified for one of these tournaments. Mind that guy Bora Mulitinovic that qualified for the World Cup with about 10 different countries? I would be keen on hiring someone like that. 

The current criteria seems to be:  

a. Has pals who are all yes-men in the media.

b.Managed Celtic or Rangers or has a Celtic or Rangers link.

c. Has failed in every recent job that they have done.

Moyes it is then . . .

We're seemingly at a point with McLeish where any manager who has done any sort of reasonable job at any sort of reasonable level in the last, maybe, five years and who commands the respect of his players would be an improvement. We should obviously be aiming for the best candidate possible, but it would be very difficult - if not impossible - to end up with someone worse.

I find it somewhat odd that lots of people want Michael O'Neill (a man with a rumoured drink problem recently arrested and charged with drink driving) to replace Alex McLeish (a man who is accused of being bad at his job because of a drink problem when there is no evidence that is the problem). The result last night was appalling, but that's just cognitive dissonance, especially since we were rejected by O'Neill.

Edited by Malcolm Malcolm

I find it somewhat odd that lots of people want Michael O'Neill (a man with a rumoured drink problem recently arrested and charged with drink driving) to replace Alex McLeish (a man who is accused of being bad at his job because of a drink problem when there is no evidence that is the problem). The result last night was appalling, but that's just cognitive dissonance, especially since we were rejected by O'Neill.

O'Neill has never appeared to be anything other than 'on the ball' when interviewed. Mcleish is barely coherent.

11 hours ago, Estragon is a fud said:

It's a sad state of affairs when pishy little clubs like Bournemouth and Sheffield Wednesday are dictating our squad. The players have to take responsibility as well. Does anyone think if that was a play-off 2nd leg, or the the first match of a Euros we'd have first picks not playing because of mouth ulcers or because they don't like plastic pitches? Absolutely no chance. They couldn't be arsed going out to Kazakhstan, and thought to themselves "ach it's fine, we'll beat them anyway". It's not good enough. Games away to Kazakhstan and other 4th and 5th seed teams are as important as it gets for Scotland. If your not willing to break your neck to get out there and play, you simply aren't wanting to play for Scotland. It needs cracked down with an iron fist, and I include Robertson in that. I don't buy the shite about him wanting to play and being held back by the manager and staff. Who joins up with their international squad and immediately goes to tell the medical staff about a fucking abscess in their mouth? f**k off mate. 

Totally agree, but a lot of this is probably due to a lack of faith in the management (not just McLeish but the higher ups). Didn't agree with Robertson as captain to start with, don't see him as the captain type, but a captain should be leading from the front and, as you put it, breaking their neck to play for Scotland. No doubt the majority of the missing players will play against san marino or for their clubs in the next games. Was it Kyle Lafferty that had the issue with pulling out of international duty so they invoked a rule to prevent him playing for his club....maybe we need to be doing something along those lines to avoid players picking and choosing which games they play. 100% if yesterday was an important match for Liverpool then Robertson starts.

6 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Was it Kyle Lafferty that had the issue with pulling out of international duty so they invoked a rule to prevent him playing for his club....

Yes. Rule seems to be they cant play for their club for five days after an International window. 

This International window runs until the 27th. I might be wrong but I think that means, if invoked, the likes of Robertson, Tierney and Fraser, wouldn't be able to play for their clubs until after the 1st March.

Tierney would miss the Old Firm match, Robertson would miss their match by Tottenham, and Fraser would miss a match away to Leicester. 

I'd be all for doing that, btw.

18 hours ago, Estragon is a fud said:

It's a sad state of affairs when pishy little clubs like Bournemouth and Sheffield Wednesday are dictating our squad. The players have to take responsibility as well. Does anyone think if that was a play-off 2nd leg, or the the first match of a Euros we'd have first picks not playing because of mouth ulcers or because they don't like plastic pitches? Absolutely no chance. They couldn't be arsed going out to Kazakhstan, and thought to themselves "ach it's fine, we'll beat them anyway". It's not good enough. Games away to Kazakhstan and other 4th and 5th seed teams are as important as it gets for Scotland. If your not willing to break your neck to get out there and play, you simply aren't wanting to play for Scotland. It needs cracked down with an iron fist, and I include Robertson in that. I don't buy the shite about him wanting to play and being held back by the manager and staff. Who joins up with their international squad and immediately goes to tell the medical staff about a fucking abscess in their mouth? f**k off mate. 

^^^ never suffered from an oral abcess 

21 minutes ago, swing_kinker said:

I was half arsed when suggesting Guus Hiddink as I thought he'd be in some major job. He's managing China u23s so....who.knows. the south Korea 02 story is one of my favourite world cup adventures

He earns over £3.5m a year doing that job.