Next Scotland Manager

I see folk wanting Clarke to take over from McLeish, i would be really surprised, first of all he has seen first hand how terrible the SFA are as a governing body and are very reluctant to change (which is really needed), id imagine he does not need the money due to previous jobs down south, lets be honest the Scotland job cannot be appealing to anyone who wants to advance their career.

Saying that we do need a new manager as McLeish is a dinosaur (just like his employers), France 98 was the last major we were in, that tells you something is rotten to the core with our game.

Just look across the water to the ROI, similar sized nation, their league is not as good as ours yet they seem to make it frequently to major tournaments.

The SFA need a complete revamp and that would hopefully bring a change to the way we develop our game (it will take years to implement), how we manage to get the SFA to change is the 1 million dollar question.

The main criteria for the job should be to appoint someone who has actually qualified for one of these tournaments. Mind that guy Bora Mulitinovic that qualified for the World Cup with about 10 different countries? I would be keen on hiring someone like that. 

8 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Football doesn't work like that.

Without the lingering doubts that a Lithuania or Georgia would happen again? Those results have happened since those countries existed, and always will. Those level of teams are not easy to beat away from home for any nation (certainly not for us). We've literally always struggled.

I also still don't get the thought process where you think it was right to replace a manager, even though hindsight proved that he had a great year after that. Results proved that keeping him at that stage was the right decision.

At some point people we need to realise that changing managers repeatedly does not necessarily improve results.

We will, presumably, stumble upon the right manager at the right time, that fits the players we have. But at least we both agree that this shitshow was doomed from the beginning.

I don't want to be misunderstood here - there are no guarantees in any scenario. I meant the lingering doubts created by Strachan's two failed campaigns, which was already clear by the end of 2016. If the view was that he could put a run together over a shorter period (which we already knew he was capable of doing) but couldn't put that together over a whole campaign, then we had to sack him then. My biggest reservation over Strachan, which still remained after 2017, was how he was going to manage a full campaign. There was a point in both campaigns when he got key decisions wrong (which both came within a pretty poor 18 months when he struggled with transitioning players out and in). I already knew he could put together a good year when the pressure was lower, what I still don't know is if he has a good full campaign in him.

If the view is going to be that Strachan's positives outweighed his negatives (that we competed overall very well against similar level teams, that we were capable of good runs of form, etc.) and sooner or later he'd put that together over a full campaign (which might have been easier this time round) then we should have kept him. For me that would be the logical conclusion of keeping him at the end of 2016. 

I actually have sympathy with both of those approaches. Sack him in 2016 or keep him on after 2017 - it depends on what approach you take (given that there are never any guarantees, I think both approaches would have had legitimacy). I think most of us can agree that what we actually did made no sense. 

Disagree with last sentence, given our situation we shouldn't be discounting anyone because it may or may not be too soon for them. 

Sorry GroundskeeperWillie, just to clarify mate, my comment wasn’t meant on them being to early in their career that they have to go out and gain experience, far from it, but I do think it’s too early in their careers for them to be interested in moving to international football, in my opinion.

Any reason why international teams can only call up players of that nationality but there is no restriction on the manager?

Seems a bit daft to insist on only having a Scottish manager when that rule doesn't even exist.