Next Scotland Manager

We won’t go down the foreign route so there’s not even any point in suggesting anyone.

Jack Ross said in an interview Scotland would be his ultimate goal but unsure if he’s at a right time in his career for the job. Still think Steve Clarke is the stand-out Scottish candidate.

It’s going to be Moyes, isn’t it?

3 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:
3 hours ago, Gordopolis said:
Strachan admitted he didn't foresee Kazakhstan playing outside of the boot crossfield passes etc. Let's not kid ourselves that he was anywhere near perfect.

No but he built the best momentum we had for at least a decade

Aye, when it was far too late to actually achieve anything, he had his chance.

If McLeish goes, you simply have to look at a list of British ex Rangers and Celtic managers who aren't in a job at that point.

My bet would be Neil Lennon in the Summer once Celtic punt him.

The sacking of Strachan happened a year too late. We sacked him after a perfectly good year. That made no sense. What also made no sense was sacking him without a proper and thorough plan in place to replace him. Sacking him only to replace him McLeish several months later was lunacy.  

The most striking, if unsurprising, issue here is the idiocy of those at the SFA making these decisions. 

The sacking of Strachan happened a year too late. We sacked him after a perfectly good year. That made no sense. What also made no sense was sacking him without a proper and thorough plan in place to replace him. Sacking him only to replace him McLeish several months later was lunacy.  
The most striking, if unsurprising, issue here is the idiocy of those at the SFA making these decisions. 
I think I agree with you, other than the fact that you're saying we should've sacked him - even though he then went on an unbelievably good run.

How McLeish has lasted this long is beyond me, however, Sunday must be his last game, it’s been an absolute diabolical appointment and today’s result has already reduced the amount of tickets we’ll sell for the remaining Home matches and those tickets aren’t even on general sale yet.

Who should the next Manager be.....Stevie Clarke for me, but he shouldn’t be Manager, he should be the figure head behind changes in Scottish Football, the SFA should be begging him to take it.

It’s too soon for Jack Ross and Alex Neill but fingers crossed their day will come.

24 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

Who should the next Manager be.....Stevie Clarke for me, but he shouldn’t be Manager, he should be the figure head behind changes in Scottish Football, the SFA should be begging him to take it.

It's more than likely Clark will be more likely to stay at Kilmarnock than take the poisoned chalice that is the Scotland job.  He hardly wants to damage his reputation after all!

McLeish's appointment was a last resort.  Typical of the SFA blazers old pals act.  

Yogi Hughes for me.

18 minutes ago, pandarilla said:
25 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

I think I agree with you, other than the fact that you're saying we should've sacked him - even though he then went on an unbelievably good run.

If we had replaced Strachan with a good fit for the job at the end of 2016, we could have still had a good 2017 and taken that momentum on to these campaigns (without the lingering doubts over whether a Lithuania or Georgia type result was going to happen again). That would have been the ideal scenario. That's what I'm saying. 

Keeping him on for another year and expecting even more than an unbelievably good year - that shows a lack of proper planning. And we may as well have kept Strachan on if we didn't have any decent succession plans. 

Get the best youth coaches in the world and put them in charge of the U16s. Demolish hampdump sell the ground and invest it in the best training facilities in Europe. Get hundreds of coaches trained up from every half decent youth side.

Ten years time we will have a good side. Blood any promising youngsters early. Like 17,18. Play the same system from youth to full setup.

Its what England Germany France Iceland and many others have done. We can change managers every three or four years forever but until we get decent players through it will be fruitless.

5 hours ago, EFFC1938 said:

Gordon Strachan should never have been punted in the first place!

FFS I didn't think we were at this stage.

Gordon Strachan was given not one, but two of the easiest groups we'll get at our level of seeding. He failed on both occasions.

Don't regurgitate this bullshit because you're disappointed. Strachan was a failure and it was 100% the right decision to remove him.

Not that I think McLeish will be sacked before the end of the qualifying games regardless of results, but I'd love to see Alex Neil come in. Done well with Norwich and is doing well with PNE with average players on a presumably small budget for the league.

1 hour ago, BB_Bino said:

How McLeish has lasted this long is beyond me, however, Sunday must be his last game, it’s been an absolute diabolical appointment and today’s result has already reduced the amount of tickets we’ll sell for the remaining Home matches and those tickets aren’t even on general sale yet.

It’s too soon for Jack Ross and Alex Neill but fingers crossed their day will come.

Disagree with last sentence, given our situation we shouldn't be discounting anyone because it may or may not be too soon for them.  Alex Neil is very highly regarded and has done a tremendous job at Preston with precious little budget.  I have my doubts he'd want the job, but do agree we could do with someone in a figurehead role overseeing some pretty major changes in the game - unfortunately, the SFA probably believe we've got that right now - his name is Malky Mackay - and with that the baw is burst!

The entire SFA need cleared out. All coaches in the national setup should be punted. Project Brave should be ripped up and never spoken of again. The 'Largs Handbook' should be shredded and never spoken of again.

That's just the start of what needs to happen.

It won't of course.  Nothing will happen and this will continue for years to come.

If we had replaced Strachan with a good fit for the job at the end of 2016, we could have still had a good 2017 and taken that momentum on to these campaigns (without the lingering doubts over whether a Lithuania or Georgia type result was going to happen again). That would have been the ideal scenario. That's what I'm saying. 
Keeping him on for another year and expecting even more than an unbelievably good year - that shows a lack of proper planning. And we may as well have kept Strachan on if we didn't have any decent succession plans. 

Football doesn't work like that.

Without the lingering doubts that a Lithuania or Georgia would happen again? Those results have happened since those countries existed, and always will. Those level of teams are not easy to beat away from home for any nation (certainly not for us). We've literally always struggled.

I also still don't get the thought process where you think it was right to replace a manager, even though hindsight proved that he had a great year after that. Results proved that keeping him at that stage was the right decision.

At some point people we need to realise that changing managers repeatedly does not necessarily improve results.

We will, presumably, stumble upon the right manager at the right time, that fits the players we have. But at least we both agree that this shitshow was doomed from the beginning.