Binos v. Borderers

As the month of March steadily chugs along and the business end of the season approaches, the Ladbrokes League 2 enters its 30th round of play with a matchup between Stirling Albion and Berwick Rangers due to kick off at 3 PM this Saturday. This will be the fourth and final meeting between both sides, with the previous triumvirate of matches resulting in two Bino victories and one Berwick win. That latter match was the opener of the 2018/2019 season, now a distant memory with the Borderers featuring names like Todd, Murrell, and Lavery, and Robbie Horn and Dave Mackay still in charge of their respective sides.

Stirling Albion have won three points from their previous five matches, with Cowdenbeath being put to the sword at the start of March; Peterhead, Clyde (twice), and, controversially, Albion Rovers beat the Binos during that spell. Dylan Mackin is the club's top goalscorer at the moment, and will look to bag his 9th this Saturday; Darren Smith returns from suspension, while Danny Jardine is out after the knock he received versus Clyde last weekend. Despite the slow start under Mackay putting the club at a disadvantage early on in the season and the recent dry spell endured by the Forthbank-faithful, Mackay's successor Kevin Rutkiewicz helmed an uptick in form that now sees Stirling sit in 6th place, 13 points off a promotion play-off spot and 23 points away from the Trapdoor.

No such comfort can be found at Shielfield, where the local Rangers sit in 9th, 5 points ahead of Albion Rovers who have a game against Cowden in hand. Johnny Harvey took over the reigns from Horn late in 2018, but has yet to inspire his team to go on a point-scoring spree. In fact, the match against Stirling represents a chance to get the first back-to-back points since November, when Rovers and Elgin City were beaten in quick succession. The Borderers will look to replicate this trick, having caused a big surprise by securing a 2-0 win over Peterhead this Tuesday. Defender Aidan McIlduff injured himself during the warmup on the day, and is a question mark for Saturday. Ouzy See is certain to remain sidelined, whilst Dougie Brydon, Kyle Allison, and Jordan Orru have also recently been injured. Berwick will, however, be able to field Declan O'Kane who has now served his two match suspension.

Stirling Albion will need a win to keep their play-off hopes, however slim, alive, whereas Berwick will want to secure a result in light of Rovers' game versus Elgin City and the postponed fixture v. Cowdenbeath. The Wee 'Gers also have pride to play for, as they need seven more points to avoid becoming the worst 9th placed team in League 2 history (a record held by the 2004 Elgin City side who won 25 from 36). Having worn their home kit in the previous match at Forthbank, expect Berwick to once again run out in black and gold.

stirling_albion_2018-2020-1st.gifforthbank-stadium.jpgberwick_rangers_2018-2019-1st.gif

Good write up there but I didn't realise Mackin was our top Goalscorer so far this season, so there you go. I like the big man but over the last month or so he seems to be used more from the bench than the starting line up, I personally would like to see him stay next season, but maybe KR doesn't share that view.

As for the match itself, I'm in the count down to the end of the season (again) and I think Berwick will still be in fighting mode, so I wouldn't be surprised if we dropped further points. I think we should have enough about us to win against a team that's been a mess for a few months, going by their own fan reports on here, but like Albion Rovers a few weeks ago, if Berwick show the right attitude then who knows.

1 hour ago, DutchBorderer said:

Stirling Albion will need a win to keep their play-off hopes, however slim, alive, whereas Berwick will want to secure a result in light of Rovers' game versus Elgin City and the postponed fixture v. Cowdenbeath. The Wee 'Gers also have pride to play for, as they need seven more points to avoid becoming the worst 9th placed team in League 2 history (a record held by the 2004 Elgin City side who won 25 from 36). Having worn their home kit in the previous match at Forthbank, expect Berwick to once again run out in black and gold.

stirling_albion_2018-2020-1st.gifforthbank-stadium.jpgberwick_rangers_2018-2019-1st.gif

No chance of getting to the playoffs this season unless Annan lose the next 7 games and their is no chance of that happening imo.  Need to win this game to get us back on track after a series of narrow home defeats by the odd goal. Berwick like you say gave themselves hope of avoiding the 10th spot by beating Peterhead in midweek so expect a tough battling performance from them to get something from this game. 

The Binos will be boosted by the return of Darren Smith from suspension so that will help up front , expect Danny Jardine to miss this game after his head knock against Clyde. Team along the same lines that lost to Clyde and hopefully we get back on track for a home win. Don't expect it will be a pretty game but whoever wants the points the most will come away with them and hopefully that should be us. 

Prediction Binos 2 Berwick 0              :thumsup2

50 minutes ago, rhliston said:

expect Danny Jardine to miss this game after his head knock against Clyde.

Danny will definitely be out mate, through experience I know that any head injury is a minimum of 2 weeks now, that's standard advice, so expect him to miss the Berwick and Queens Park games as a minimum.

Berwick have suddenly found a method of play that none of us fans expected. 

Backs to the wall defending, but serious pace and skill on the break. Ogilvie, Barr, Murphy, Blues, Adamson, always gonna be a threat. 

On Monday I arrogantly thought  this result was a shoo-in. I was toying with the idea of asking Who has been your most difficult opposition?  In recent years Peterhead have always managed to get my back up. Now BRFC have beaten the champions elect. It would be easy to sit on fence and plump for a draw. I fear Stirling will be losing more matches and this could be one of them.

I might be going mad but have gone for Berwick on my accumulator. Decent odds and Stirling with nothing to play for. What are the chances of Berwick replicating Tuesday nights form? Was pleased to hear jack ogilvie played well midweek, he will surely be out to impress again being a Stirling lad. Mon the Berwick!

For us, it was something of an end of season affair which never really got going, for Berwick, it was more like, run out of ideas after squandering 2 glorious opportunities that should of seen them being 2-0 up by Half Time, but there you go, football has a way of kicking you when you’re down and I think the penalty that Berwick conceded was definitely the kick.

I think by and large a draw would have been fair, and the game appeared to have 0-0 written all over it until Hughes was fouled in the box, i’ll have to see it again to be convinced that it was a foul but we’ll take it.

That aside, there wasn’t much to write home about. I though McGregor did well in the Centre of Defence and that Cammy Thomson played well on the Left Wing, Peaso also gave his all upfront as did Mackin when he replaced him, but other than that, there wasn’t much to be excited by.

With Jardine missing we struggle to create much. Dom Docherty tried to no avail and Neil McLaughlin had another disappointing 90 minutes, if this was earlier in the season then it would probably be a worry for KR but we all know it’s more a matter of, see the season out.

Ah well, 3 points in the bag, not really worth shouting about but we’ll gladly take them and move onto the Queens Park game next Saturday.

Real worrying times for Berwick. Although the squad was well drilled and organised, they didn’t really have much going forward. They’ll point to the 2 unbelievable chances they missed and will probably say “pish” but they really lacked any kind of creativity or cutting edge in my opinion, which must be a real worry for Johnny.

It’s certainly going to be an interesting few weeks, i’m just glad it’s not us.

Well it was a struggle but we got their in the end just about deserved the 3 points. First half Berwick missed 2 great chances to score and if one of them had gone in might have been a different outcome for them but they kind of ran out of ideas after that. 2nd half we dominated but didn't create much in front of goal. Thanks to a foul in the box, Dylan Mackin scored from the spot and its 3 points in the bag.   Given results elsewhere Albion Rovers beating Elgin away we move up to 5th spot. 1 point ahead of Elgin. 

We could have played all day and never scored if the penalty hadn't been awarded. If two great Berwick opportunities hadn't been squandered, it could have been beyond us by half time. We need to improve as much as Berwick do for next season. There was very little between the two sides.

I don't know whether it will be Berwick or Albion Rovers facing the play offs.  I wish both teams my best wishes for survival whichever it turns out to be.  It could have been us. It might yet be us another season.  I don't take one atom of pleasure out of the predicament of either set of fans. Good luck to both.

Slightly disappointed that it’s now Sunday morning and there is no chat from the Berwick fans about yesterday’s game.

Watched Johnny’s interview this morning, agree with his actual points on the game........don’t get what the booing was about though but it was coming from the corporate section, who were Prudential staff, maybe he works there or has some kind of involvement with a few of the lads within the group, I don’t think it was for diving as Johnny suggested, think the interviewer was right and it was banter.

15 hours ago, Mountain Goat Stirling A said:

Just about deserved the win I would say.  Fantastic penalty from Dylan.  I feel for Berwick, the points gift to Albion Rovers makes this tough to take.  Interesting end to the season at the top and the bottom.

Can’t say I’ve ever seen a fantastic penalty ! Should be a goal every time shouldn’t it as advantage is with the taker.

6 hours ago, Brazilianlex said:

Can’t say I’ve ever seen a fantastic penalty ! Should be a goal every time shouldn’t it as advantage is with the taker.

Not when I used to take them it wasn't mate.   :(

7 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

Slightly disappointed that it’s now Sunday morning and there is no chat from the Berwick fans about yesterday’s game.

Watched Johnny’s interview this morning, agree with his actual points on the game........don’t get what the booing was about though but it was coming from the corporate section, who were Prudential staff, maybe he works there or has some kind of involvement with a few of the lads within the group, I don’t think it was for diving as Johnny suggested, think the interviewer was right and it was banter.

At this time and in their situation, I would think the Berwick fans would be more interested in talking to each other than us.  I don't think we'd feel any different in their situation pal.

I was there. If we’re going to get out of this mess we need a lot more than honest endeavour. We shaded the 1st half and could have been 2 up but Adamson missed a sitter & Alou another good chance at the back post. We just didn’t show in the 2nd half though, which was disappointing after the Peterhead win. The introduction of Mackin gave Stirling a spearhead and enabled them to build some attacking momentum for the first time. The penalty looked like guesswork by the ref but we said at half time he was odds on to f**k us over with a bad call. He duly obliged. No point dwelling on it though. We’ve got 6 (or 8 ) matches to save our league status. I suspect we’ll be bottom by 9pm tomorrow and the force looks to be with the Rovers, so we’re going to need an almighty effort to get us over the line. 

I was there. If we’re going to get out of this mess we need a lot more than honest endeavour. We shaded the 1st half and could have been 2 up but Adamson missed a sitter & Alou another good chance at the back post. We just didn’t show in the 2nd half though, which was disappointing after the Peterhead win. The introduction of Mackin gave Stirling a spearhead and enabled them to build some attacking momentum for the first time. The penalty looked like guesswork by the ref but we said at half time he was odds on to f**k us over with a bad call. He duly obliged. No point dwelling on it though. We’ve got 6 (or 8 ) matches to save our league status. I suspect we’ll be bottom by 9pm tomorrow and the force looks to be with the Rovers, so we’re going to need an almighty effort to get us over the line. 

Pretty much what I would say. Haven’t seen the penalty decision again but it looked incredibly soft.

I missed the recent home games and have only seen Edinburgh away and Saturday. From that, id certainly be starting O’Kane in the coming games and hopefully Brydon is back. With Brydon and Cook/Wilson at CB, Forbes and Brown at full back and O’Kane DM, I’d like to think that’s solid enough to give us a chance with the pace we have going forward in Blues, Barr and Adamson. My fear is the lack of someone to put the ball in the net.

It’s pointless worrying about Albion as even if they win tomorrow it’s still in our hands with them to play at home.

Archived