Best school fight you saw

2 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

The Love Witch is a film by Anna Biller. It stars a lady called Samantha Robinson (it's her in the avatar). She is fond of potions, being a white witch. Potpourri is dried plants and flowers - the kind of thing a white witch would like. It's also pronounced the same as Popery, so there's a play on words in there for you, acknowledging the historic banter between Scotland's two biggest provincial sides. HTH! 

Sounds like a great film. 

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Was it only at Divit that it was essentially a fight to get served at the van? And folk had a wee business going in for folk?

I can mind one day a woman with a bairn wanted and ice cream at the van, the usual bedlam was ensuing and tbh I feared for her, the kid and the ice cream if they were ever to get one. But, to everyone’s (that was engaged in “pushing in at the van”) credit they stood aside and waited until she and bairn were well clear before normal service resuming. A joy to watch.
On a side note, Andy once gave me and my pals a chase after a sustained campaign of flinging sweeties at him, shaking his van, shouting abuse at him and generally disrupting presumably his most profitable spell of the day.

14 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

I can mind one day a woman with a bairn wanted and ice cream at the van, the usual bedlam was ensuing and tbh I feared for her, the kid and the ice cream if they were ever to get one. But, to everyone’s (that was engaged in “pushing in at the van”) credit they stood aside and waited until she and bairn were well clear before normal service resuming. A joy to watch.
On a side note, Andy once gave me and my pals a chase after a sustained campaign of flinging sweeties at him, shaking his van, shouting abuse at him and generally disrupting presumably his most profitable spell of the day.

There was a foreign guy that had a van at our school. Austrian or German I think. Anyway, he was a miserable c**t and everything in his van was at rip off prices. Taking part in a mass water ballooning of him and his van filled me with great pride until someone took it too far and threw a brick through his window.

That was the last time we ever saw him at the school.

A few that come to mind but one that sticks out actually happened in a classroom instead of the play ground. A couple of boys in my class, first or second year, both from Drumchapel and for most of the time we had been at High School had been best pals(Probably a wise idea given there were relatively few from the drum at our school, in Clydebank). No idea what happened to change that but for a few weeks they were at each other constantly and always on the verge of scrapping, until one day our French teacher had to leave the classroom for some reason and they just went absolutely tonto. The pair of them were laying into each other with hooks and kicks, ended up on the deck via a desk which flipped over when the hit it, and then chalk board wound up on the deck after one boy done some kind of judo throw over his shoulder and put the other one into it.  Ended when another teacher heard the commotion and bombed into the room and got between them. Both of them looked fucking hellish for a wee while after, and one of them ended up moving to another school eventually, though apparently they had quite a few hefty paggers outside of school time as well. Never did find out what caused it.

One other one that sticks out would have been in P5 or 6, one of the girls was a little on the hefty side and someone said something snidey to her about it. Guessing it was probably years of similar abuse boiling over but she caught him with a beauty of a punch and as he decked it she pretty much sat on his chest and layed into his face, punching and scratching him into oblivion. Ended quite quickly as one of the older kids who was nearby pretty much rugby tackled the girl off him, which was just as well because I reckon there would have been serious damage done if she'd been left to get on with it any longer.

Loads of fights at my school, there were about 2,000 kids at it so you'd expect that. Best (worst) I saw was when the two guys squared up and one of them just grabbed him round the neck and performed a perfect DDT on the concrete. Ambulance job, perpetrator expelled.
It was a popular move at the time as we were all right into the wrestling (being about 13 at the time this was normal behaviour, not the deviancy you see on that thread on here).

I saw something similar although it wasn’t in a fight. You know where they put drains on the grass and it’s basically just a big circle of concrete with the drain in the centre? Well as part of a carry on when we were in 3rd year this guy DDT’d someone’s wee brother on the drain. He asked him if he could do it and the wee guy agreed but his face was in a terrible state after it.

The Love Witch is a film by Anna Biller. It stars a lady called Samantha Robinson (it's her in the avatar). She is fond of potions, being a white witch. Potpourri is dried plants and flowers - the kind of thing a white witch would like. It's also pronounced the same as Popery, so there's a play on words in there for you, acknowledging the historic banter between Scotland's two biggest provincial sides. HTH! 

I explained this banter to mini-Dindz and this was her reaction

IMG_0947.jpg

49 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

haha I didnt know he even did Ice Cream. Ive always thought it must be utterly bizzare to be Andy, stood in an acient van whilst kids literally fight to get served or pay folk to get stuff from him

I have to nominate Skids vs Chris McMahon. Both were in the same year as me.

The McMahons were a well known family of scaffs and all three brothers were mercilessly picked on almost every day for this. They had Asda plastic bags instead of school bags and wore trampy hands me downs that were tattered and dirty. As you might expect the total arseholes who think they're hard and that being hard (as measured by high school standards) is important were looking to fight the McMahon in their year or year closest to them.

Skids didn't particularly want to fight McMahon, but was goaded in to it. It so happened it was a Friday, and one of those 'wear what you want' type deals. Skids had decided to turn up in a white tracksuit, as McMahon, being a huge scaff, in the single pair of clothes he presumably owned. Anyway, this brawl took place by the huts. Skids was egged on to starting it, but once it did got quite in to the fight. He and McMahon ended up rolling around in the mud, with Skids hilariously getting his white tracksuit ruined. The fight ended when, with both guys back on their feet, Skids pushed McMahon in to the crowd and the crowd, probably because Skids was losing, piled in and starting giving digs to McMahon, including a rather gruesome pencil shot where someone sunk one of HB's finest in to his back. Grim.

Saw quite a few other incidents of this particular McMahon in fights. Looking back it's deeply horrendous and you have to feel for them, as being poor wasn't their fault. It must have been absolute hell every day for them.

I do recall another amusing fight, not involving McMahon, but a friend from Townhill. He ran up to a guy and started punching him, but did so like a wrestler would, i.e. was stamping his foot off the ground like wrestlers do in the ring to make a noise. 

22 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

As a parent now I'm actually feeling a bit emotional even writing about this as I, and almost everyone I knew, were involved both in the physical abuse but also the carrying of the rumour which, deep down, we all knew was absolute bullshit.

I kind of feel the same way.  I didn't bully anyone or beat anyone up (as far as I recall, memory has a tendency to erase things you are ashamed of) but thinking about how some kids were treated, bullying and violence and the affect that it must've had on their lives and how it must've hurt them and their families is awful.

We can all make jokes about the fighting and hard kids etc but I bet that a significant percentage of these kids carried on these tendencies into adult life, whether it was in pubs etc or taking it out on their families.  In my school there was a kid who was on the fringes of the 'hard kids' and just after we left school his mum was up in court for attempting to murder his dad.  He gave evidence and all he could remember for this entire life was his dad coming home drunk and leathering his wife, and him.  What affect must being exposed to violence like that have on someone, I can't imagine it and now having a son I can't imagine behaving like that towards my family.

Anyway, enough of this, lets all laugh at the tinky hard kids!

Archived