The_Judge

Revisiting old albums

Malcolm McLaren - Duck Rock

He's only really remembered for managing The Sex Pistols. It often forgotten that he brought out a couple of albums in his own name. Duck Rock was released in 1983 and is an interesting mash up of early hip hop and world music. Pretty decent.

Not really revisiting this album. Just met it for the first time. "Visions Of The Country" by Robbie Basho is an album  that I've heard mentioned in hushed tones a few times down the years but never got round to listening to. It was released in 1978 but this is completely irrelevant as it could have come out in any year from about 1950 onwards. Basho, along with John Fahey was the prime exponent of the American primitive guitar movement that combines astonishingly technical country blues fingerpicking with Indian classical music. Combine this with an incredible tremulous voice pitched somewhere between Tim Buckley and Antony. I dipped into it online a couple of weeks ago, bought a reissue of it last week and am now utterly obsessed by it. Not for everyone, but if it does grab you, it won't let go. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Penthouse and Pavement,,,, Heaven 17 , took it to sister n laws 21st bash 1981, Dj refused to play any of it, never heard of them !!!

The Cars, self titled debut album from back in 1978 still gets a regular listen from me.

The first three tracks are such a strong opening to the album and bizarrely all three are timed at 3 mins 44 seconds 😉

4 hours ago, Sheep62 said:

The Cars, self titled debut album from back in 1978 still gets a regular listen from me.

The first three tracks are such a strong opening to the album and bizarrely all three are timed at 3 mins 44 seconds 😉

I like some of their early stuff, but I hate that Drive pish. It's a shame that their lamest track is the one that their best known for...

On 22/12/2020 at 15:31, edthebaw said:

Penthouse and Pavement,,,, Heaven 17 , took it to sister n laws 21st bash 1981, Dj refused to play any of it, never heard of them !!! emoji23.png

Not even Tempted ?

On 22/12/2020 at 15:31, edthebaw said:

Penthouse and Pavement,,,, Heaven 17 , took it to sister n laws 21st bash 1981, Dj refused to play any of it, never heard of them !!! emoji23.png

The 17 had Trump's song also

On 23/07/2020 at 11:23, WhiteRoseKillie said:

R-1167694-1392925895-5309.jpeg.jpg.437560390cdfa37bed7e7949d7b32b31.jpg

Just got this off t'eBay to add to my 10cc albums. I remember Under your Thumb and wedding Bells, which are both pretty good, but the rest of it does kind of backup the theory tht these two were just a little bit up themselves. Clever stuff in places, but not a great listen.

Gouldman is definitely a legend. He seemed to be mass writing hits for others in the 60s

I'm rocking out to CSS' debut album right now.

220px-CSS_-_Cansei_de_Ser_Sexy_(internat

Annoying, I used to have the Brazilian release but I lent it to a mate and never got it back so I had to replace it with a copy of the international release, which has fewer songs and isn't as good.

I saw CSS live at the Liquid Rooms in Edinburgh around the time of its release. A cracking gig and a fairly memorable trip. I managed to get a hand job from some rough stripper in the pubic triangle and I later got so drunk that I pished the bed in my hotel room. I phoned in sick for work the next couple of days and flew over to Bremen on a cheap Ryanair flight for some drinking and sightseeing. I really struggled to retain my composure whilst lying through my teeth at my back to work interview. Obviously that was around 15 years ago. I would never behave in such a debauched manner now.

4 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I'm rocking out to CSS' debut album right now.

220px-CSS_-_Cansei_de_Ser_Sexy_(internat

Annoying, I used to have the Brazilian release but I lent it to a mate and never got it back so I had to replace it with a copy of the international release, which has fewer songs and isn't as good.

I saw CSS live at the Liquid Rooms in Edinburgh around the time of its release. A cracking gig and a fairly memorable trip. I managed to get a hand job from some rough stripper in the pubic triangle and I later got so drunk that I pished the bed in my hotel room. I phoned in sick for work the next couple of days and flew over to Bremen on a cheap Ryanair flight for some drinking and sightseeing. I really struggled to retain my composure whilst lying through my teeth at my back to work interview. Obviously that was around 15 years ago. I would never behave in such a debauched manner now.

I remember that gig. I was that stripper.

On 21/06/2019 at 02:41, Spyro said:

Always shock my mates when I play them Hawkwind, it’s amazing the amount of folk that haven’t heard of them! Stunning band ❤️

@Moonglum25's  youtube link doesn't work anymore so I don't know which album it was but the Hawkwind Album I keep going back to it "Live Chronicles"

Live Chronicles - Wikipedia

Other Live albums  from Hawkwind tours like "space ritual" tend to be sprawling and messy and jammed out which might be great when you're there at the time but don't stand up to repeated listening so well.

The chronicles of the black sword tour was a big Michael Moorcock narrated concept album production number so everything is a bit more  tight and focussed (albeit by Psychedelic space hippy standards) but still "live" enough to eclipse the studio version. 

And as concepts go there have been albums made about far stupider ones. In the wake of Game of Thrones & Peter Jackson's Tolkien movies it's probably about time they toured this album again with modern production values

Listening again to Gary Wilson's creepy ass masterpiece "You Think You Really Know Me" from 1977. 34 minutes that suggest he has a mounting body count in his cellar. Truly one of the great outsider records and unlike anything else ever. From it this is the utterly deranged "6.4 = Make Out".

Searching for the young soul rebels. Dexys Midnight Runners. 1980. Without a doubt Kevin Rowlands finest 41 minutes or so.

18 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Listening again to Gary Wilson's creepy ass masterpiece "You Think You Really Know Me" from 1977. 34 minutes that suggest he has a mounting body count in his cellar. Truly one of the great outsider records and unlike anything else ever. From it this is the utterly deranged "6.4 = Make Out".

Cheers, I'd never heard that before, it's excellent and also slightly unsettling.

2 hours ago, Hauftimedraw said:

Searching for the young soul rebels. Dexys Midnight Runners. 1980. Without a doubt Kevin Rowlands finest 41 minutes or so.

He should've persevered with The Killjoys.

"Reachin" by Arcesia is a long lost privately pressed masterpiece. John Arcesi was a crooner who had a moderate singing career in the late 40's/early 50's. He re-emerged in 1972, aged 65, discovered LSD and teamed up with a band of young musicians influenced by the likes of Love and The Doors. It did not garner much praise. Personally, I think it is fucking fantastic. This is my favourite track from it.

On Spotify I've recently ventured into some classic thin lizzy and the last couple of days or so I've had a lot of the self titled Skid Row album on (If anybody remembers them/)

Anyone who thinks folk music isn't for them or just hasn't listened to much of it should make this their first stop. 

On 20/12/2020 at 11:20, tongue_tied_danny said:

Malcolm McLaren - Duck Rock

He's only really remembered for managing The Sex Pistols. It often forgotten that he brought out a couple of albums in his own name. Duck Rock was released in 1983 and is an interesting mash up of early hip hop and world music. Pretty decent.

Is that where they are skipping  ?

Also managed the mighty New York Dolls

Also might have " managed " Bow Wow Wow

Edited by ewan14