The_Judge

Revisiting old albums

Delved into the old vinyl collection this afternoon again and had my listen to this one in many a year.

Certainly won't be long before it's getting another spin

It certainly wasn't universally popular upon it's release, given their change of direction but it has matured well with age

The Waterboys - Fisherman's Blues

On 02/07/2020 at 16:46, stevieKTID said:

I picked up a copy of the Pale Saints debut album The Comforts of Madness, on clear vinyl no less, I remember listening to it with my little indie girlfriend at the time, we played it non stop, I was curious if it still sounded as good as I remember, it sounds great and certainly doesn't sound like it's 30 years old.

Out of curiosity i searched for that ex on Facebook.... She hasn't aged as well 😁

Just listening to the criminally underrated follow up "In Ribbons". After "Loveless" it's probably my favourite record from the shoegaze years. 

The Ruts - The Crack

Probably my favourite punk album. Definitely a cut above most other punk bands, The Ruts are decent musicians and they manage to sound streetwise and aggressive.

R-1167694-1392925895-5309.jpeg.jpg.437560390cdfa37bed7e7949d7b32b31.jpg

Just got this off t'eBay to add to my 10cc albums. I remember Under your Thumb and wedding Bells, which are both pretty good, but the rest of it does kind of backup the theory tht these two were just a little bit up themselves. Clever stuff in places, but not a great listen.

Venus and the Razorblades- Songs from the Sunshine Jungle

I picked this up from the bargain shelf in Grouchos for about a quid 20 odd years ago. It's been a long time since I played it and TBH I forgot it even existed until I was browsing my CD collection earlier.

This is an early punk band from LA with a female singer who 14 years old at the time. It's not bad. Some of the songs sound closer to glam rock than punk and the whole album is fairly tongue in cheek. 

A bit of a curiosity more than anything else.

I've had De La Soul's Bulhoone Mindstate in the car for a couple of months now. Probably half the tracks are absolute class and there are no real duffers. 

Because it was so unfashionable at the time it doesn't sound too dated like some other stuff from almost thirty years ago. 

REM - Green

I'm listening to this for the first time in decades. The US election made me think of World Leader Pretend.

I'm having flashbacks to listening to this while playing Turbo Esprit on my Spectrum in my bedroom as a 13 year old in 1989.

20 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

REM - Green

I'm listening to this for the first time in decades. The US election made me think of World Leader Pretend.

I'm having flashbacks to listening to this while playing Turbo Esprit on my Spectrum in my bedroom as a 13 year old in 1989.

REMs last good album imo. Gave this a listen about a year ago and was surprised by the number of songs i'd forgotten about but still knew the words to. 

I'm rocking out to Disintegration by The Cure right now. Another album that loved when I was 13. I remember listening to this on my Walkman while delivering the Evening Tele'. 

The album hasn't aged at all. It still sounds fresh with a good mix of accessible pop songs and gloomier, introspective tracks.

Been revisiting "Hot Dreams" by Timber Timbre from 2014. A bit of a forgotten gem. Like Lambchop made an album with Broadcast and got David Lynch to produce it.

On 06/11/2020 at 16:28, coprolite said:

REMs last good album imo. Gave this a listen about a year ago and was surprised by the number of songs i'd forgotten about but still knew the words to. 

For me, REM had several solid releases among their post-Green output, with one truly excellent album.

15 minutes ago, George Parr said:

For me, REM had several solid releases among their post-Green output, with one truly excellent album.

I'd agree. Out of Time certainly solid, Automatic For The People is a great record and New Adventures is very good. Honorary mentions for Up and Reveal. Both decent records. Monster and Around The Sun can get tae.

Ride were massive in the early 90s. Had this lp and going blank again on cassette. Good music to zone out to.

1 hour ago, D.A.F.C said:

Ride were massive in the early 90s. Had this lp and going blank again on cassette. Good music to zone out to.

For me, this is still their best song. An absolute fucking monster.