The_Judge

Revisiting old albums

Power, Corruption & Lies by New Order. Probably my favourite of theirs.

On 19/06/2019 at 08:34, tongue_tied_danny said:

That's probably the one album that I've played more than any other over the years, although as I get older I'm starting to think that Closer is better.

I've always preferred Closer but only just.

Load and Reload by Metallica. 96 and 97 IIRC.
Load as expected, fares better. 14 songs with probably only 3 wastes of hate, sorry space. Bleeding Me and The Outlaw Torn total classics.
Reload on the other hand is darker, gloomier and ultimately too slow and sluggish for enjoyment. Maybe 4 songs worth bothering with.
Considering they were recorded together, it's probably been noted that there is probably one amazing album in there instead of two 5/10 ones.

I'm currently rocking out and playing air guitar in my bedroom to Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds.

61ECQBJ8EZL._SX355_.jpg

It's been waaay too long since I listened to this.

Edited by tongue_tied_danny

Credit goes to Peter Fonda for dying a few weeks ago, but he inspired me to dig out Primal Scream's Screamadelica album, his voice being used on Loaded. It was released in 1991 and still sounds great. Come Together is a 10 minute epic on the album.

Followed that up with Give Out But Don't Give Up, from 1994. I was staying with family in Exeter, and had gone through to Plymouth for the day, and bought that along with Blur's Parklife. Stuck Primal Scream on in the car for the drive back to Exeter and the intro to the opening track Jailbird blew me away, and it's still a great opening to an album 25 years later.

I recently through the musical chinese whispers thread started listening to Simple Minds' Real to Real Cacophony album. A welcome reminder of just how brilliant they were.

Load and Reload by Metallica. 96 and 97 IIRC.
Load as expected, fares better. 14 songs with probably only 3 wastes of hate, sorry space. Bleeding Me and The Outlaw Torn total classics.
Reload on the other hand is darker, gloomier and ultimately too slow and sluggish for enjoyment. Maybe 4 songs worth bothering with.
Considering they were recorded together, it's probably been noted that there is probably one amazing album in there instead of two 5/10 ones.

Totally agree, they could have made 1 absolute belter of an album out of these instead of 2 average ones. A while back I even set myself a challenge of creating an approx 80 minute playlist by choosing my favourites from each.

I listened to The Great Escape by Blur the other day. I've always been a fan of them but this was the album that I never totally got in to when it came out. It's probably because Parklife was such a classic that this felt like a let down at the time.

I enjoyed it much more listening to it now than I did back in the 90s.

On 25/08/2019 at 20:37, tongue_tied_danny said:

I'm currently rocking out and playing air guitar in my bedroom to Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds.

61ECQBJ8EZL._SX355_.jpg

It's been waaay too long since I listened to this.

Used to listen to that as a kid to put me to sleep. I don't think my parents' parenting skills were that great. Going to sleep terrified by that baseline every night. 

Coming back to listen to old albums after not hearing them for years sometimes decades is genuine test of how they have stood up to the test of time. It's like listening to them with new ears and might even take a different stance on them. Sometime you just forget how good an album was or only now recognise how good that album was.

I've been going through the hundreds of MP3s to look for faults in the copying process and it gives me a chance to listen to albums I haven't heard in years.

The most recent album I have revisited and have been surprised how good it was but never appreciated it at the time was Cave In's - Antennae album

Always liked Steven Brodsky's singing voice and songwriting but never listened enough to Cave In when they were around. Brodsky is currently in the band Mutoid Man formed with ex Converge drummer Ben Koller and ex Converge bassist Nick Cageao.