Revisiting old albums

The_Judge

On 13/03/2021 at 10:57, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Marquee Moon by Television (1977)

At its best it combines the attitude and rawness of the 1977 punk scene with the creative ambition of what was going on in Jazz Rock fusion

At its worst it gets that the wrong way round

'Marquee Moon' doesn't have an 'at it's worst' You'll be thinking of their 2nd LP, 'Adventure'. 

6 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Ive now got to go and re-revisit it to see whether I was talking sense

You may be right to be fair...the track 'Marquee Moon' does go on a tad longer than is necessary but other than that it's as near faultless as makes no difference.

You may be right to be fair...the track 'Marquee Moon' does go on a tad longer than is necessary but other than that it's as near faultless as makes no difference.

I seem to remember the title track being the stand out masterpiece but I appreciate that 10 minute epics with long instrumental passages aren’t everybody’s thing

The Guardian today doing a piece on John McGeoch.  Siouxsie & The Banshees I can take or leave but the first three Magazine albums ('Real Life' , ' Secondhand Daylight' & 'The Correct Use of Soap' ), all featuring McGeoch on guitar are  things of wonder.  

22 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

The Guardian today doing a piece on John McGeoch.  Siouxsie & The Banshees I can take or leave but the first three Magazine albums ('Real Life' , ' Secondhand Daylight' & 'The Correct Use of Soap' ), all featuring McGeoch on guitar are  things of wonder.  

I think a book had just been published on McGeogh - just a brilliant and influential guitar player with an unreal CV. 

On 26/04/2022 at 16:28, scottsdad said:

Californication - Red Hot Chili Peppers. 

Heard their new track Black Summer and it put me in the mood. 

Half great songs, half utter dross. Just as I remember it from 20 years ago.

I don't get how chillis can be so sublime but then the rest of their stuff is utter dross. 

Godspeed You Black Emperor! - F# A# 

A truly brilliant, spectral album from crack Canadian collective (sit down Arcade Fire.) If you were going to compile a post-rock Top 5, this would have to be in it. I think it says more about the genre as a whole though that most, if not all, of the bands that would feature on such a list only have one good album. Do they just spunk all their good ideas on one record and then just spend the rest of their careers rearranging the deck chairs. See also "Mogwai Young Team", "Do Make Say Think", "The Sea And The Bells" or "Spiderland". Anyhow, quibbles aside, this is a fucking wonderful record that should be listened to on headphones in the dark.

On 05/05/2022 at 12:52, Acastus said:

I don't get how chillis can be so sublime but then the rest of their stuff is utter dross. 

They're very much a 'singles band'.  They release great songs but the rest of every album is just filler shite.  By The Way being a good example.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Paul Kersey said:

Just giving the Jurassic 5 debut album a spin for the first time in around twenty years. An excellent album by one of the better hip hop acts.

I saw them at Leeds festival in the early 2000s. One of the best sets I've ever seen. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/05/2022 at 08:42, TheScarf said:

They're very much a 'singles band'.  They release great songs but the rest of every album is just filler shite.  By The Way being a good example.

They've made a very good career out of only having about three good songs.

On 07/05/2022 at 19:15, Jimi Shandrix said:

Godspeed You Black Emperor! - F# A# 

A truly brilliant, spectral album from crack Canadian collective (sit down Arcade Fire.) If you were going to compile a post-rock Top 5, this would have to be in it. I think it says more about the genre as a whole though that most, if not all, of the bands that would feature on such a list only have one good album. Do they just spunk all their good ideas on one record and then just spend the rest of their careers rearranging the deck chairs. See also "Mogwai Young Team", "Do Make Say Think", "The Sea And The Bells" or "Spiderland". Anyhow, quibbles aside, this is a fucking wonderful record that should be listened to on headphones in the dark.

Be interesting to hear the original version which they released in 1997

FsharpAsharpInfinity_vinyl.jpg

On 19/05/2022 at 17:21, Paul Kersey said:

Just giving the Jurassic 5 debut album a spin for the first time in around twenty years. An excellent album by one of the better hip hop acts.

Love that album especially the song Concrete Schoolyard

Edited by betting competition

• 2 months later...

I’ve just re-visited six or seven CDs by Ed Kuepper that were languishing in my ‘Aussie artists’ CD collection alongside Weddings Parties Anything, The Triffids, The Angels, Midnight Oil, and a ton of others. I had forgotten how great the bloke is. Brought back a lot of memories from the first time I visited Australia and my family there got me into Aussie artists like Kuepper and Paul Kelly.