Revisiting old albums

The_Judge

3 minutes ago, L. Brilliant said:

Too right.  Find myself listening more and more.  Did you see them at Celtic Connections thon time?

No.  I'm racking my brains to try and remember if I saw them anywhere. I'm thinking yes but might be imagining it. Anyway "What Another Man Spills" and "Nixon" are seriously good albums. It's been a while. I'll need to dig them out for a listen.

On 13/03/2021 at 10:08, Oscar Wilder said:

Listened to this for the first time in years! Really good album, think I remember seeing them live supporting Gun?? back in the day! IMG_20210313_100224.jpeg

Saw Slide at the Barrowlands supporting Texas twice, have the LP and a couple of CD singles....i'll need to give the CDs a spin this week.

On 15/03/2021 at 20:18, Jimi Shandrix said:

No.  I'm racking my brains to try and remember if I saw them anywhere. I'm thinking yes but might be imagining it. Anyway "What Another Man Spills" and "Nixon" are seriously good albums. It's been a while. I'll need to dig them out for a listen.

It’s been a while because they’ve turned insufferable.  Vocoder vocals with piano is not a fun listen.  

Is A Woman might be my favourite, but hearing The Man Who Loved Beer for the first time on Mark and Lard is one of my musical rites of passage.

58 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

It’s been a while because they’ve turned insufferable.  Vocoder vocals with piano is not a fun listen.  

Is A Woman might be my favourite, but hearing The Man Who Loved Beer for the first time on Mark and Lard is one of my musical rites of passage.

Yup. I was absolutely out with the vocoders as well. If I had to choose a favourite it would be "What Another Man Spills".

Nobody to this day has done comedy heavy metal as well as Spinal Tap but “the Young ones” cast members (Peter Richardson, Nigel Planer, Rik Mayall, Ade Edmondson) 1983 effort still stands up well

It alternates between sitcom bickering and music. The comedy still sounds fresh and the music, produced by Brian May, manages to be bad enough to be ridiculous but not so bad as to be just dreadful

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

4 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Nobody to this day has done comedy heavy metal as well as Spinal Tap but “the Young ones” cast members (Peter Richardson, Nigel Planer, Rik Mayall, Ade Edmondson) 1983 effort still stands up well

It alternates between sitcom bickering and music. The comedy still sounds fresh and the music, produced by Brian May, manages to be bad enough to be ridiculous but not so bad as to just dreadful

Imogen all the people. 

Remember, Jon Thurlow of Chron Gen sending me a cassette of this and some demos they'd done back in the early 80s (think they came from the same area). Am i right in thinking Tracy Thorn was a Marine Girl?
I really liked this back then, will need to try and dig it out again!

Marine Girls - Beach Party
Beach_Party_1981.jpg&key=31c95693d09e804e9ec9b2320f95e0a1bb912756258badd7de1dbd3bc7794a5e
This is the epitome of 1980s 6th form student music. There's no bass, very little percussion and really simple guitar melodies with female voices harmonizing naive, innocent lyrics. 

17 minutes ago, Oscar Wilder said:

Remember, Jon Thurlow of Chron Gen sending me a cassette of this and some demos they'd done back in the early 80s (think they came from the same area). Am i right in thinking Tracy Thorn was a Marine Girl?
I really liked this back then, will need to try and dig it out again!

Yip, Tracy Thorn was in the Marine Girls before she moved up to Hull and the rest is history.

1 hour ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Yip, Tracy Thorn was in the Marine Girls before she moved up to Hull and the rest is history.

Who's the handsome chap in yr new avatar? I'm thinking a member of Holland's 1974 World Cup squad.

• 2 weeks later...

The Mothers of Invention - Just Another Band From L.A.

Just_Another_Band_From_LA.jpg

I've always found Frank Zappa to be very hit or miss. He was a fantastic musician but some of his humour hasn't aged well. This live album from 1971 is light hearted, but the lyrics to "Magdalena" are iffy in the extreme and some of the other songs appear to lampoon TV adverts of the time and would be lost on a modern audience.

Edited by tongue_tied_danny

Listened to this last night for the first time in around 25 years. Very much of it’s time, UK grunge lite but actually a bit better than I remember it as a whole and a shame it seems to have been erased somewhat from the history of the band.

6EC257F9-6E1A-460A-9DDD-F349CB9BAC39.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Maggot_Brain_(Funkadelic_album_-_cover_a

I'd put this into my top five albums of all time. The ten minute guitar solo on the title track never fails to make the hair on the back of my neck stand up. The perfect Sunday evening album.

On 20/03/2019 at 16:26, Taxman said:

Regularly still listen to The Clash - seminal 1st album; IV Rattus Norvegicus - Stranglers; Scared to Dance - The Skids; Electric Warrior - T-Rex to name but a few.

Electric Warrior was my first album, still a classic ....... Cosmic Dancer, Mambo Sun, Life's A Gas ..... great grooves, still go back to it now and then. 👍

On 08/03/2020 at 23:43, BillyAnchor said:

New Boots and Panties by Ian Dury has been on my playlist a lot recently

Been listening to an Ian Dury best of compilation recently...... forgot what a fine band The Blockheads were ....

Been listening to the Therapy?, Babes in Toyland, and L7 albums of my youth lately.

Happily, they've all remained quite excellent.