Revisiting old albums

The_Judge

• 2 weeks later...

I'm rocking out to CSS' debut album right now.

220px-CSS_-_Cansei_de_Ser_Sexy_(internat

Annoying, I used to have the Brazilian release but I lent it to a mate and never got it back so I had to replace it with a copy of the international release, which has fewer songs and isn't as good.

I saw CSS live at the Liquid Rooms in Edinburgh around the time of its release. A cracking gig and a fairly memorable trip. I managed to get a hand job from some rough stripper in the pubic triangle and I later got so drunk that I pished the bed in my hotel room. I phoned in sick for work the next couple of days and flew over to Bremen on a cheap Ryanair flight for some drinking and sightseeing. I really struggled to retain my composure whilst lying through my teeth at my back to work interview. Obviously that was around 15 years ago. I would never behave in such a debauched manner now.

4 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I'm rocking out to CSS' debut album right now.

220px-CSS_-_Cansei_de_Ser_Sexy_(internat

Annoying, I used to have the Brazilian release but I lent it to a mate and never got it back so I had to replace it with a copy of the international release, which has fewer songs and isn't as good.

I saw CSS live at the Liquid Rooms in Edinburgh around the time of its release. A cracking gig and a fairly memorable trip. I managed to get a hand job from some rough stripper in the pubic triangle and I later got so drunk that I pished the bed in my hotel room. I phoned in sick for work the next couple of days and flew over to Bremen on a cheap Ryanair flight for some drinking and sightseeing. I really struggled to retain my composure whilst lying through my teeth at my back to work interview. Obviously that was around 15 years ago. I would never behave in such a debauched manner now.

I remember that gig. I was that stripper.

On 21/06/2019 at 02:41, Spyro said:

Always shock my mates when I play them Hawkwind, it’s amazing the amount of folk that haven’t heard of them! Stunning band ❤️

@Moonglum25's  youtube link doesn't work anymore so I don't know which album it was but the Hawkwind Album I keep going back to it "Live Chronicles"

Live Chronicles - Wikipedia

Other Live albums  from Hawkwind tours like "space ritual" tend to be sprawling and messy and jammed out which might be great when you're there at the time but don't stand up to repeated listening so well.

The chronicles of the black sword tour was a big Michael Moorcock narrated concept album production number so everything is a bit more  tight and focussed (albeit by Psychedelic space hippy standards) but still "live" enough to eclipse the studio version. 

And as concepts go there have been albums made about far stupider ones. In the wake of Game of Thrones & Peter Jackson's Tolkien movies it's probably about time they toured this album again with modern production values

Listening again to Gary Wilson's creepy ass masterpiece "You Think You Really Know Me" from 1977. 34 minutes that suggest he has a mounting body count in his cellar. Truly one of the great outsider records and unlike anything else ever. From it this is the utterly deranged "6.4 = Make Out".

18 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Listening again to Gary Wilson's creepy ass masterpiece "You Think You Really Know Me" from 1977. 34 minutes that suggest he has a mounting body count in his cellar. Truly one of the great outsider records and unlike anything else ever. From it this is the utterly deranged "6.4 = Make Out".

Cheers, I'd never heard that before, it's excellent and also slightly unsettling.

• 3 weeks later...

"Reachin" by Arcesia is a long lost privately pressed masterpiece. John Arcesi was a crooner who had a moderate singing career in the late 40's/early 50's. He re-emerged in 1972, aged 65, discovered LSD and teamed up with a band of young musicians influenced by the likes of Love and The Doors. It did not garner much praise. Personally, I think it is fucking fantastic. This is my favourite track from it.

On 20/12/2020 at 11:20, tongue_tied_danny said:

Malcolm McLaren - Duck Rock

He's only really remembered for managing The Sex Pistols. It often forgotten that he brought out a couple of albums in his own name. Duck Rock was released in 1983 and is an interesting mash up of early hip hop and world music. Pretty decent.

Is that where they are skipping  ?

Also managed the mighty New York Dolls

Also might have " managed " Bow Wow Wow

Edited by ewan14

• 1 month later...

I was really into the alt-country scene that blew up in the late 90's. I still have a lot of those records and pop them on from time to time. Have to say there's not many of them get me too excited today. Still love the first two Son Volt albums, "Strangers Almanac" by Whiskeytown, a bit of Lambchop. Calexico were a band I was really into. The low-fi debut "Spoke" was a big favourite, but the one I have been listening to is "Hot Rail" from 2000. It's been a while. Still sounds good.

"Pygmalion" by Slowdive is a fantastic listen. Easily their best album. Released by Creation in 1995 when Mcgee was on his cocaine fuelled Oasis train. This was never going to get a look in. Has more in common with the likes of Seefeel and Flying Saucer Attack. It reached the lofty heights of number 108 in the UK album charts. This record still gets a regular airing in the Shandrix household.