Revisiting old albums

The_Judge

• 5 weeks later...

I've had De La Soul's Bulhoone Mindstate in the car for a couple of months now. Probably half the tracks are absolute class and there are no real duffers. 

Because it was so unfashionable at the time it doesn't sound too dated like some other stuff from almost thirty years ago. 

20 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

REM - Green

I'm listening to this for the first time in decades. The US election made me think of World Leader Pretend.

I'm having flashbacks to listening to this while playing Turbo Esprit on my Spectrum in my bedroom as a 13 year old in 1989.

REMs last good album imo. Gave this a listen about a year ago and was surprised by the number of songs i'd forgotten about but still knew the words to. 

I'm rocking out to Disintegration by The Cure right now. Another album that loved when I was 13. I remember listening to this on my Walkman while delivering the Evening Tele'. 

The album hasn't aged at all. It still sounds fresh with a good mix of accessible pop songs and gloomier, introspective tracks.

• 4 weeks later...
On 06/11/2020 at 16:28, coprolite said:

REMs last good album imo. Gave this a listen about a year ago and was surprised by the number of songs i'd forgotten about but still knew the words to. 

For me, REM had several solid releases among their post-Green output, with one truly excellent album.

15 minutes ago, George Parr said:

For me, REM had several solid releases among their post-Green output, with one truly excellent album.

I'd agree. Out of Time certainly solid, Automatic For The People is a great record and New Adventures is very good. Honorary mentions for Up and Reveal. Both decent records. Monster and Around The Sun can get tae.

• 3 weeks later...

Not really revisiting this album. Just met it for the first time. "Visions Of The Country" by Robbie Basho is an album  that I've heard mentioned in hushed tones a few times down the years but never got round to listening to. It was released in 1978 but this is completely irrelevant as it could have come out in any year from about 1950 onwards. Basho, along with John Fahey was the prime exponent of the American primitive guitar movement that combines astonishingly technical country blues fingerpicking with Indian classical music. Combine this with an incredible tremulous voice pitched somewhere between Tim Buckley and Antony. I dipped into it online a couple of weeks ago, bought a reissue of it last week and am now utterly obsessed by it. Not for everyone, but if it does grab you, it won't let go. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Sheep62 said:

The Cars, self titled debut album from back in 1978 still gets a regular listen from me.

The first three tracks are such a strong opening to the album and bizarrely all three are timed at 3 mins 44 seconds 😉

I like some of their early stuff, but I hate that Drive pish. It's a shame that their lamest track is the one that their best known for...

On 23/07/2020 at 11:23, WhiteRoseKillie said:

R-1167694-1392925895-5309.jpeg.jpg.437560390cdfa37bed7e7949d7b32b31.jpg

Just got this off t'eBay to add to my 10cc albums. I remember Under your Thumb and wedding Bells, which are both pretty good, but the rest of it does kind of backup the theory tht these two were just a little bit up themselves. Clever stuff in places, but not a great listen.

Gouldman is definitely a legend. He seemed to be mass writing hits for others in the 60s