Revisiting old albums

The_Judge

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up a copy of the Pale Saints debut album The Comforts of Madness, on clear vinyl no less, I remember listening to it with my little indie girlfriend at the time, we played it non stop, I was curious if it still sounded as good as I remember, it sounds great and certainly doesn't sound like it's 30 years old.

Out of curiosity i searched for that ex on Facebook.... She hasn't aged as well 😁

Edited by stevieKTID

C'est Chic

Now there's no denying that Nile Rogers is a musical genius.

This is a classic slice of disco but there are a couple of dodgy tracks here, although that is redeemed by I Want Your Love. One of the best tunes of the 70s IMO.

Edited by tongue_tied_danny

On 06/07/2020 at 18:46, tongue_tied_danny said:

C'est Chic

Now there's no denying that Nile Rogers is a musical genius.

This is a classic slice of disco but there are a couple of dodgy tracks here, although that is redeemed by I Want Your Love. One of the best tunes of the 70s IMO.

Bought a box set with all  Chic's 12" vinyl singles still sound really good . Nile Roger's produced the biggest selling albums from Madonna, Inxs, Dina Ross , David Bowie . 

Got these two from eBay for a sniff over a fiver:

queen.jpg.f7098baf5e3facf83071b3e472b6860a.jpg

Queen_II_(album_cover).jpg.64b0f8bbec99de1e33c23953685ca1f7.jpg

Two slices of vinyl chock full of energy, imagination and passion. With stuff like Liar, Ogre Battle and Great King Rat, you wonder if they'd ever have made it as far as a third these days. I much prefer the first three albums (these plus Sheere heart Attack) to the later stuff - including Bohemian Rhapsody.

Edited by WhiteRoseKillie

On 09/07/2020 at 22:17, tongue_tied_danny said:

Funkadelic - Maggot Brain

One of my favourite albums but it's been a few years since I have it a spin. An intriguing mix of funk, hard rock and psychedilia.

That ten minute guitar solo on the title track 

I saw George Clinton/Parliament/P funk all stars in Amsterdam in 2004, they played for 4 hours, it was amazing a great night out, couldn't get a taxi to take me home as i was living in the south east of the city which was considered a bit dodgy so walked it, the funk got me home. 

Listening again to "Alone & Unreal" by The Clientele. Brilliant compilation of some of the best tunes. Anyone who ever got anything out of The Byrds, Sarah Records or even early Belle & Sebastian would find much to enjoy here.

Only just started reading through this thread just now.

Some superb albums in here folks, a few of which I'll be listening to over the next few days.

Can't believe that no one has picked the debut album from Aztec Camera "High Land, Hard Rain"

Some great tracks on there written by a then 18 year old Roddy  Frame 

1 hour ago, Hauftimedraw said:

Excellent choice. Listen to this album every few months and makes me think I am 16 again.
Was hyped as "the sound of young Scotland". Stands the test of time.

As were Orange Juice. I had their first lp on vinyl, sadly now gone and costly to replace.

I wonder if I'd I'd still love it as much as I think it had quite a few 80s production motifs on it, unlike the Postcard singles. Which I still have, but dont own a record player to listen to them on.

A lot of 80s stuff is hard for me to listen to now, but my kids love for some reason.

Delved into the old vinyl collection this afternoon again and had my listen to this one in many a year.

Certainly won't be long before it's getting another spin

It certainly wasn't universally popular upon it's release, given their change of direction but it has matured well with age

The Waterboys - Fisherman's Blues

On 02/07/2020 at 16:46, stevieKTID said:

I picked up a copy of the Pale Saints debut album The Comforts of Madness, on clear vinyl no less, I remember listening to it with my little indie girlfriend at the time, we played it non stop, I was curious if it still sounded as good as I remember, it sounds great and certainly doesn't sound like it's 30 years old.

Out of curiosity i searched for that ex on Facebook.... She hasn't aged as well 😁

Just listening to the criminally underrated follow up "In Ribbons". After "Loveless" it's probably my favourite record from the shoegaze years. 

R-1167694-1392925895-5309.jpeg.jpg.437560390cdfa37bed7e7949d7b32b31.jpg

Just got this off t'eBay to add to my 10cc albums. I remember Under your Thumb and wedding Bells, which are both pretty good, but the rest of it does kind of backup the theory tht these two were just a little bit up themselves. Clever stuff in places, but not a great listen.

• 4 weeks later...

Venus and the Razorblades- Songs from the Sunshine Jungle

I picked this up from the bargain shelf in Grouchos for about a quid 20 odd years ago. It's been a long time since I played it and TBH I forgot it even existed until I was browsing my CD collection earlier.

This is an early punk band from LA with a female singer who 14 years old at the time. It's not bad. Some of the songs sound closer to glam rock than punk and the whole album is fairly tongue in cheek. 

A bit of a curiosity more than anything else.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...