Revisiting old albums

The_Judge

Load and Reload by Metallica. 96 and 97 IIRC.
Load as expected, fares better. 14 songs with probably only 3 wastes of hate, sorry space. Bleeding Me and The Outlaw Torn total classics.
Reload on the other hand is darker, gloomier and ultimately too slow and sluggish for enjoyment. Maybe 4 songs worth bothering with.
Considering they were recorded together, it's probably been noted that there is probably one amazing album in there instead of two 5/10 ones.

Totally agree, they could have made 1 absolute belter of an album out of these instead of 2 average ones. A while back I even set myself a challenge of creating an approx 80 minute playlist by choosing my favourites from each.

I listened to The Great Escape by Blur the other day. I've always been a fan of them but this was the album that I never totally got in to when it came out. It's probably because Parklife was such a classic that this felt like a let down at the time.

I enjoyed it much more listening to it now than I did back in the 90s.

On 25/08/2019 at 20:37, tongue_tied_danny said:

I'm currently rocking out and playing air guitar in my bedroom to Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds.

61ECQBJ8EZL._SX355_.jpg

It's been waaay too long since I listened to this.

Used to listen to that as a kid to put me to sleep. I don't think my parents' parenting skills were that great. Going to sleep terrified by that baseline every night. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 07/12/2019 at 00:14, pozbaird said:

Duran Duran ‘Rio’

Human League ‘Dare’

David Sylvian ‘Brilliant Trees’

Heart ‘Little Queen’

been re-visiting these beauts’ recently.

Some good choices there. It's easy to forget just how good Duran Duran were, especially the first two albums. Like I said earlier in the thread they managed to be both commercial and avant-garde at the same time.