The_Judge

Dog Man Star.

Headphones.

Lights Out.

One of the few albums that only works, songs in order with no interruptions

As is Laser Guided Melodies.

Or Nowhere

Or Souvlaki

After reading an interview with PP Arnold in this month's Uncut, I listened to Marchin' Already by Ocean Colour Scene for the first time in a very long time this morning.

The album is patchy, but It's A Beautiful Thing is magnificent.

AGAINST PERFECTION is the debut album by British alternative rock band Adorable.  It was released in 1993 on Creation Records.

In 2016, Pitchfork ranked it at number 42 on its list of "The Best 50 Shoegaze Albums of All Time".

Track listing

1. "Glorious" – 4:17
  2. "Favourite Fallen Idol" – 2:41
  3. "A to Fade In" – 4:50
  4. "I Know You Too Well" – 3:41
  5. "Homeboy" – 4:30
  6. "Sistine Chapel Ceiling" – 3:34
  7. "Cut #2" – 4:43
  8. "Crash Sight" – 4:02
  9. "Still Life" – 2:37
  10. "Breathless" – 5:18

Interview with Peter Fijalkowski

Adorable_Against_Perfection.jpg

Edited by The_Judge

• 3 weeks later...

In the spirit of the thread, I re-visited the first album I ever bought - Slade’s ‘Old New Borrowed & Blue’.... 45 years old. Forty-five fcuking years old.... I remember buying it like it was only yesterday forty-five years ago. Where did the time go? Seems like a different life. I know I was there (the 70s), I know I went to the Apollo in my denim jacket... but it seems a totally different life to my life today.

Funny old thing, time.

Oh, almost forgot. Still a great album from a great band.

Edited by pozbaird

7 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

In the spirit of the thread, I re-visited the first album I ever bought - Slade’s ‘Old New Borrowed & Blue’.... 45 years old. Forty-five fcuking years old.... I remember buying it like it was only yesterday forty-five years ago. Where did the time go? Seems like a different life. I know I was there (the 70s), I know I went to the Apollo in my denim jacket... but it seems a totally different life to my life today.

Funny old thing, time.

Oh, almost forgot. Still a great album from a great band.

Slade are awesome. Remember them from my young days! Brilliant band. Catch their gigs/videos on youtube. Once seen never forgotten!

Power, Corruption & Lies by New Order. Probably my favourite of theirs.

On 19/06/2019 at 08:34, tongue_tied_danny said:

That's probably the one album that I've played more than any other over the years, although as I get older I'm starting to think that Closer is better.

I've always preferred Closer but only just.

Load and Reload by Metallica. 96 and 97 IIRC.
Load as expected, fares better. 14 songs with probably only 3 wastes of hate, sorry space. Bleeding Me and The Outlaw Torn total classics.
Reload on the other hand is darker, gloomier and ultimately too slow and sluggish for enjoyment. Maybe 4 songs worth bothering with.
Considering they were recorded together, it's probably been noted that there is probably one amazing album in there instead of two 5/10 ones.

• 2 months later...

Credit goes to Peter Fonda for dying a few weeks ago, but he inspired me to dig out Primal Scream's Screamadelica album, his voice being used on Loaded. It was released in 1991 and still sounds great. Come Together is a 10 minute epic on the album.

Followed that up with Give Out But Don't Give Up, from 1994. I was staying with family in Exeter, and had gone through to Plymouth for the day, and bought that along with Blur's Parklife. Stuck Primal Scream on in the car for the drive back to Exeter and the intro to the opening track Jailbird blew me away, and it's still a great opening to an album 25 years later.