Revisiting old albums

The_Judge

13 is the sixth studio album by English alternative rock band Blur, released on 15 March 1999. Jettisoning the Britpop sound of Blur's early career, 13 explores experimental, psychedelic and electronic music.

Recording took place from June to October 1998 in London and Reykjavík. The album marks a departure of the band's longtime producer, Stephen Street, with his role being filled by William Orbit. Relationships between the band members were reported to be strained, with members frequently missing from the sessions. Lyrically, the album is significantly darker and more innovative than Blur's previous efforts, being heavily inspired by Damon Albarn's breakup with long-term girlfriend, Justine Frischmann, which followed an increasingly strained relationship.

13 was released on 15 March 1999 and entered the UK Albums Chart at number one, making it Blur's fourth consecutive studio album to reach the top spot. The album was later certified Platinum.  The album produced three singles – "Tender", "Coffee & TV" and "No Distance Left to Run".  13 received a nomination for Best Album at the 2000 NME Awards. It was also nominated for the Mercury Prize.

I was shocked to learn this week marked the 20th anniversary of this albums release.  I loved it at the time but hadn't heard it in quite a while.  Having given it a few spins over the last few days I think it has aged well.

I remember as a kid there was a documentary on telly about the twentieth anniversary of Sergeant Pepper (called, unsurprisingly "It was twenty years ago today"). And it seemed like discussing ancient history.

But then you see lists of albums that are twenty years old now and it's like woah, you're shitting me.

My thinking when I started this thread was aimed at albums you liked a long time ago but for whatever reason you haven't listened to them in years.  Taking a fresh look at them can sometimes result in you liking it more, disliking it or even gaining a new appreciation for tracks you previously saw as weak links.  For a while I was intentionally picking about a dozen albums a year in bursts of 3 or 4 every few months and giving them a fresh and devoted ear.  With so much new music available I'd kind of fallen out of doing that until I saw the mention of 13 yesterday.  I'd sometimes focus on an album that I'd missed from a band I liked.  By coincidence I did make a point of listening to Electric Warrior a few months back as I was familiar with Bolan's greatest hits but hadn't really listened to a studio album.

On 21/03/2019 at 11:48, The_Judge said:

My thinking when I started this thread was aimed at albums you liked a long time ago but for whatever reason you haven't listened to them in years.  Taking a fresh look at them can sometimes result in you liking it more, disliking it or even gaining a new appreciation for tracks you previously saw as weak links.  For a while I was intentionally picking about a dozen albums a year in bursts of 3 or 4 every few months and giving them a fresh and devoted ear.  With so much new music available I'd kind of fallen out of doing that until I saw the mention of 13 yesterday.  I'd sometimes focus on an album that I'd missed from a band I liked.  By coincidence I did make a point of listening to Electric Warrior a few months back as I was familiar with Bolan's greatest hits but hadn't really listened to a studio album.

In the spirit of this, I played a couple of albums I haven't heard for a while  (and on vinyl).

Tango in the Night by Fleetwood Mac sounds even better than I remembered.

Gerry Rafferty's Night Owl- excellent stuff.

On 21/03/2019 at 12:27, MixuFixit said:

Great thing about old albums is they're easily bought on CD for about a quid on ebay. I got a pile of mid 90s bands I loved but never had the pocket money to buy at the time - Garbage, Hole, Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, commutes are magic now.

I still regularly buy CDs from Amazon for a quid (or two). I just copy them to my iPod. Great cheap way of getting great music.

Anyway, I listened to Soundgarden's Superunknown the other day. Top, top album. Everyone knows Black Hole Sun, a great tune, but stuff like The Day I Tried To Live, Spoonman, Fell On Black Days, Let Me Drown and the title track are exceptional. 

36 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

That's probably my favourite Soundgarden track.

It's definitely a much underrated song of theirs and easily one of their best.

The chorus is a delight. So heavy yet in an understated way.

Cornell really was a fucking great singer.

37 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Us talking about it made me go and read about his tribute concert which must have been amazing to be at, also his brother Peter is a (much less successful) musician and sounds so much like him singing, it's uncanny.

Cornell was the boy. Audioslave's first album remains an all time favourite of mine. I'm talking top 10.

The Blue Nile's second album, "Hats", is 30 years old in October this year.  I bought it the day it came out and in all the time since, have not heard anything that has had the same impact on me.  

Great album that still gets listened to regularly

Edited by PRS
spelling

I joined the spirit of the thread by putting Beck's Odelay on at the weekend. Glad I did, too, sounded great. (I got two turntables and a microphone ...)

Currently playing Scott Walker (RIP), though both Scott 3 and Scott 4 are albums I've still listened to from time to time over the years anyway.

I watch some of BBC 4's music shows, and caught a bit of an old Top of the Pops 87 the other week & The Christians were on singing 'Hooverville' . I remembered liking them, and this prompted a rummage for their LP which was hiding somewhere, the record player got dusted off too. Some excellent tunes on their album & great vocal harmonies from the 3 brothers, it was as good as I remembered. Garry, Russell & Roger (died 1998)

Liverpool soul brothers, songs with a meaning.

20190326_074915.jpg

20190326_074940.jpg

On 24/03/2019 at 11:00, PRS said:

The Blue Nile's second album, "Hats", is 30 years old in October this year.  I bought it the day it came out and in all the time since, have not heard anything that has had the same impact on me.  

Great album that still gets listened to regularly

Not from that album but I was at a retirement do on Friday night for my mate's father-in-law, and they DJ played Tinseltown In the Rain.  My reaction was 'oooooooooft', then 'yaaaaaas'.