Live mics for referees?

The Master

Just watched this on Twitter.  Australian A-League referee Jarred Gillett, who is joining the English Championship pool of referees, had a live mic for his final game down under. It gives a great insight into the communication that goes on in a game.

It's already used in rugby; is this something that football should adopt? 

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was interesting to hear how much the ref and AR spoke about the decisions, could almost do away with the commentators.

To begin with VAR decisions should be available to hear post-match, like the Dutch FA have done, as the referees/VARs would basically run the audience through the decision better than the commentators.

They could make the ref mic available for the broadcasters to show at HT/FT, because no doubt there will be concerns about lots of swearies. Then make it available live, especially once players know it's being broadcast live (maybe a red button option first).

Don't really see any downsides to ref mic?

13 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Was interesting to hear how much the ref and AR spoke about the decisions, could almost do away with the commentators.

To begin with VAR decisions should be available to hear post-match, like we've seen the Dutch FA have done, as the referees/VARs would basically run the audience through the decision better than the commentators.

They could make the ref mic available for the broadcasters to show at HT/FT, because no doubt there will be concerns about lots of swearies. Then make it available live, especially once players know it's being broadcast live (maybe a red button option first).

Don't really see any downsides to ref mic?

Much as I long for no commentators you'd still need them for 90 minutes of 'Apologies to anyone offended by the language'

I read Graham Polls book and he mentioned that the earpiece and mic set they have the referees mic is open so everything is heard. What I don’t understand is why the assistants aren’t deafened by the whistle. Anyway, I think it would be interesting to hear what’s said. 

I like it.

As an aside is there any other notable circumstances of refs effectively getting a promotion by movin FA's? I've been expecting international 'transfers' of refs for a while now, but not aware of anything before this.
He's moving for work, not for refereeing reasons.

3 hours ago, ajwffc said:

If they do it for games with the extra officials behind the goals some pundits might finally notice that they do help the ref make decisions. 

They are only used for big games without VAR now so they'll be gone soon.

5 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Ah ok. Take it EFL championship must be a mixture of part-time and full time refs then?

Also in answer to my own question mark clattenburg would count.

Not quite, he moved to Saudi into a head-of-referee job, and didn't officiate there. Having quit that he then moved to referee in China. So there wasn't an actual straight-swap to referee in another country. Sorry to be pedantic!

2 hours ago, Christophe said:

Not quite, he moved to Saudi into a head-of-referee job, and didn't officiate there. Having quit that he then moved to referee in China. So there wasn't an actual straight-swap to referee in another country. Sorry to be pedantic!

Mark offiated a cup game last year as i seem to remember he stopped the match so the players could pray or something like that as the match went into extra time and he got praise world wide for it. 

There must be some way of doing this already because there's been one clip this year from England where the referee's audio was played on Match of the Day or something and a penalty was awarded. There was a fast break, and the referee played an advantage then had to let it up the park to give a penalty after someone slid in near the corner of the box near the goal-line. I'm sure it involved Man Utd as the ref (might have been Mike Dean?) spoke to Ashley Young and Phil Jones during the bit that was shown?

Archived