Raith Rovers vs Dumbarton

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought 1st half we were sloppy at times, but the goals were well taken and the build up play for them was good. 3rd goal killed the game, second half we were better with the passing. Good atmosphere at one point as well when both sets of fans were singing.

1 minute ago, buchan30 said:

Looks like you may have the slightly tougher run in as well. Will depend if brechin can win that game in hand.

The positive I can take is that we play Stenhousemuir, Airdrieonians, Brechin City and Stranraer all at home. In fact we've only got two away games left all season - it's just as shame that they're against Forfar Athletic and Arbroath.

Our other home game is against East Fife, who don't seem to be in great form at the moment, and who we've already beaten three times this season. From our point-of-view (away games aside) I don't think we could've asked for a more favourable run in.

That's absolutely no guarantee of points though, and my nerves are likely to be absolutely shredded. This time in a fortnight (having played Stenny, Airdrie and Brechin at home) we'll know if we're safe or not imo.

2 hours ago, Ross Forbes said:

His back is absolutely humped by all accounts. He's been trying everything to get it sorted apparently, but it's just having no impact.

Above all else I really feel for him on a personal level. In two seasons he's gone from being the most in demand striker in the Championship, to a guy who I'd be surprised to see play for us again. He came across really well on his Pelé Podcast and he was always a player I really liked when he was with Falkirk.

Highlights are up. Adam's howler for the third looks even more inexcusable from that angle. 

And it's certainly not the first time he's come flapping out like that this season.  I've seen a few where he's got away with it and when he does he just doesn't look like a goalkeeper.  As someone else said, he resembles an outfield player who's had to go in goal.

The positive I can take is that we play Stenhousemuir, Airdrieonians, Brechin City and Stranraer all at home. In fact we've only got two away games left all season - it's just as shame that they're against Forfar Athletic and Arbroath.
Our other home game is against East Fife, who don't seem to be in great form at the moment, and who we've already beaten three times this season. From our point-of-view (away games aside) I don't think we could've asked for a more favourable run in.
That's absolutely no guarantee of points though, and my nerves are likely to be absolutely shredded. This time in a fortnight (having played Stenny, Airdrie and Brechin at home) we'll know if we're safe or not imo.

Didn’t realise you had such good form against east fife, gives you hope. Having your nerves shredded is what being a scottish football fan is all about.

1 hour ago, R.R.FC said:

Great highlights package. Whoever does it has a decent sense of humour. Big fan of the opening shot of the Dumbarton young team being accompanied by the Prodigy’s Firestarter if that was meant. Also nice to see almost 10 seconds being dedicated to the build up and aftermath of Barjonas’ being skelped square in the balls :lol:.

Much improved performance from us, helped by getting goals at key times. We seem to have Dumbarton's number this season and good to see this fixture keeping up its record for high scoring.

Dumbarton clearly have some major issues with balance in their squad but I think they have enough individual quality in key areas to see them comfortably safe in the end. For us, whilst yesterday was enjoyable it doesn’t really provide too much evidence that a corner has been turned. Home form hasn’t been the issue. We really need to follow it up with a win away from home next week. 

David does a great job for Dumbarton.

Looked a sair yin at the time for Barjonas :-(

2 hours ago, CALDERON said:

That first goal was very, very good. 

Gullan was superb, and I liked that formation yesterday. 

Matthew's finish was very un-Matthews esque. Hopefully he can do more of that moving forward. Getting into the box and onto crosses. Seen a few folk elsewhere being critical of Crane but I thought he had a good game. Did well getting up and down the wing. Gullan was superb as you say, and really added another dimension to our attack. Same again next week. 

There's only a handful of players working for C&G frank.
Dom Thomas on loan has his own business, as other players have jobs too & Beany sells dodgy syrups.
I'd be more concerned if we were posting losses in the region of £400,000  frank.

I would class the 7 or so players (including Hutton, Carswell, Forbes and Barr) and throwing in the fact that I’m pretty certain C&G had some influence over Dom coming back for the rest of the season - as a bit more than a handful of player. Maybe the spine of the team would be more accurate.

I would class the 7 or so players (including Hutton, Carswell, Forbes and Barr) and throwing in the fact that I’m pretty certain C&G had some influence over Dom coming back for the rest of the season - as a bit more than a handful of player. Maybe the spine of the team would be more accurate.
Whilst there's no disagreeing with that, I don't really see what the issue is (not that you have said there is an issue, that's more directed at Frank).

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it wasn't just luck that we managed to get C&G on board. Our previous sponsors (Your Radio) went bankrupt midway through a season, meaning we were looking at receiving no sponsorship money, and the board worked hard to strike a new deal with someone else. We turned a pretty shite situation into one where we were actually better off. We managed fine before C&G and we'll manage fine after them, but whilst they are here we'd be idiots not to take advantage of the support they offer

The board deserve credit for being able to find such active sponsors, the majority of part-time clubs at this level would be delighted with such a partnership. We really should be doing much better given their presence but unfortunately nothing can compensate for a clown of a gaffer spunking his entire budget on crocks and pretenders.

13 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Whilst there's no disagreeing with that, I don't really see what the issue is (not that you have said there is an issue, that's more directed at Frank).

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it wasn't just luck that we managed to get C&G on board. Our previous sponsors (Your Radio) went bankrupt midway through a season, meaning we were looking at receiving no sponsorship money, and the board worked hard to strike a new deal with someone else. We turned a pretty shite situation into one where we were actually better off. We managed fine before C&G and we'll manage fine after them, but whilst they are here we'd be idiots not to take advantage of the support they offer

The board deserve credit for being able to find such active sponsors, the majority of part-time clubs at this level would be delighted with such a partnership. We really should be doing much better given their presence but unfortunately nothing can compensate for a clown of a gaffer spunking his entire budget on crocks and pretenders.

I recall several Dumbarton fans giving it big licks at the time because you were able to recruit players  by getting them jobs through your sponsors. Yes it's fine that you were able to do that but considering how the season has panned out where would you be if they didn't help?

Of course no Rovers fan is happy with our financial losses but that's up to the board to try and sort out. It seems Silverton End doesn't even know his own clubs situation. 

18 hours ago, microdave said:

Bobby Barr's lay off to Gillespie for the 4th goal was sheer class. 

If only he'd managed to find a navy blue jersey with passes like that more often when he was here, he might have got a new deal last summer. 

I recall several Dumbarton fans giving it big licks at the time because you were able to recruit players  by getting them jobs through your sponsors. Yes it's fine that you were able to do that but considering how the season has panned out where would you be if they didn't help?
Of course no Rovers fan is happy with our financial losses but that's up to the board to try and sort out. It seems Silverton End doesn't even know his own clubs situation. 
We managed to survive 6 years in the Championship without them. Our position has nothing to do with a sponsor or not, it's because Stevie Aitken signed an unbalanced squad full of crocks. If they hadn't been there you could argue we would've ended up better off as we wouldn't have spunked a fair chunk of the budget on guys like Loy and have recruited guys with more to prove.

No one was "giving it big licks", we were happy to see players like Loy and Forbes sign for us, as would Rovers fans had they chosen them.

13 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

We managed to survive 6 years in the Championship without them. Our position has nothing to do with a sponsor or not, it's because Stevie Aitken signed an unbalanced squad full of crocks. If they hadn't been there you could argue we would've ended up better off as we wouldn't have spunked a fair chunk of the budget on guys like Loy and have recruited guys with more to prove.

No one was "giving it big licks", we were happy to see players like Loy and Forbes sign for us, as would Rovers fans had they chosen them.

You mean a manager that was successful with you? How can a sponsor who helped sign the SPINE  of your team not have an effect? Oh and yes some of your small band of fans were getting cocky when you were signing some of those players. 

1 hour ago, Frank conner said:

6wv4Powd2NEL.gif

18 minutes ago, Frank conner said:

You mean a manager that was successful with you? How can a sponsor who helped sign the SPINE  of your team not have an effect? Oh and yes some of your small band of fans were getting cocky when you were signing some of those players. 

Jesus Christ. What a state to get yourself in.

It's debatable whether or not Aitken was successful with us. He had a decent first season, got lucky you guys were a shambles who gave us your best player in his second season, and then last year was an unmitigated shambles. Add into that the fact he drove a sizeable number of fans away, his recruitment in the summer, the way he started this season and the way he's acted since being rightly punted and you'll struggle to find many Sons fans with too much positive to say about him.

Feel free to read about it in detail if you want to make a more educated judgement on his time with us.

Of course C&G have had an impact, they've been nothing but positive for us, but, as BBPF has already said, this is their first season involved with the club. It's also worth pointing out that Carsy and Hutton both got jobs with them after they signed for us and before they were sponsors, Perry was already employed by them, and Forbes had worked for them a wee bit whilst at Morton. That leaves you with Bobby Barr, Rory Loy and Michael Paton as players who were effectively only convinced to sign for us by the C&G deal, and of that group Barr's the only one who's been decent. 

Imagine football fans being pleased that their team signed good players - especially given Loy looked destined for Stark's prior to joining us. Heinous. 

"Small band of fans" - we've got millions of fans m9, only Falkirk have more fans than us.

Archived