Raith Rovers vs Dumbarton

39 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I've got to agree with this. Duffy clearly didn't like Spencer from the minute he arrived and he's better than the two centre mids we had playing today. Not giving him a run in the team, when we are absolutely woeful, was Duffy being stubborn IMO.

I'm not surprised to see he's doing well at Forfar, who are a far better team than ourselves. I'm led to believe he's turned in 3 motm performances in 4 starts for them. It seems weird to punt a centre mid, who's arguably better than what we have, when we only have 2 natural ones in the entire squad.

Totally agree. I really cannot fault Duffy that much since he came in; we're better to watch, he's been decent at getting a settled team and most of his signings have helped strengthen the team in key areas. The decision to punt Spencer is one he'll regret though, and I called it at the time.

He's probably Calum Gallagher-esque, in that he's maybe not got the natural ability of Thomas, Forbes or Mango, but he was a useful player with plenty of decent attributes. He was quick, hardworking and scored a decent number of goals given how little football he played for us. If we had Carsy and two other centre-mids capable of doing as good a job I wouldn't have had an issue with it if Duffy didn't fancy him, but we don't. We have an injured Kyle Hutton, Ross Forbes (who should only be playing wide) and Ryan Thomson - who can't get a game ahead of Michael 'striker/right-back/winger' Paton. 

A central pairing of him and Carsy would've been an interesting combination. Plenty of legs, plenty of effort and a decent wee bit of quality at both ends of the park. Shame that Duffy didn't give that a shot when he was experimenting with guys like Scott Allardice in centre-mid.

Maybe Spencer's got a dreadful attitude. Maybe he was always late to training. Who knows? But I don't see Jim Weir being the type of guy to put up with that sort of thing, so I'd be surprised.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Enjoyable game. Thought we played well and played some good stuff. Happy with Gillsn, Nisbet and Matthews especially. 

Fantastic to see that Bobby Barr was rattled enough to celebrate a consolation goal that emphatically. He has been absolutely fucking awful against us this season which is pleasing. 

Since the 26-30 railcard came out I've been fair enjoying these train trips. Nothing like starting the day at 08:30 in the Balaclava Bar in Aberdeen for a game against Dumbarton. Braw. 

We didn't make Raith work for their goals, which was disappointing. The 3rd in particular was a horror show.

Once you get past our best 11 there isn't terribly much depth and this played out in Michael Paton stinking up our midfield and Stuart Carswell frustratingly having to play out of position.

We could do without carrying 4 or 5 absentees into matches.

1 minute ago, microdave said:

I know Bobby Barr is a marmite player but I thought Raith fans would like him since he played for you. What's the gripe?

He was absolutely fucking shite, and challenged fans to a square go when called up on said shiteness. 

17 minutes ago, microdave said:

I know Bobby Barr is a marmite player but I thought Raith fans would like him since he played for you. What's the gripe?

He's a guy who has ability, but is largely shite and has a shite attitude to boot. A total shirker. 

Very thin-skinned as well. 

He didn't start well for us but he's been good since new year, although he's not had the best of games today and two weeks ago in Montrose. And I like a player who gives back a bit abuse to fans.

We didn't make Raith work for their goals, which was disappointing. The 3rd in particular was a horror show.
Once you get past our best 11 there isn't terribly much depth and this played out in Michael Paton stinking up our midfield and Stuart Carswell frustratingly having to play out of position.
We could do without carrying 4 or 5 absentees into matches.

The last two sentences are key. That is down to the summer signing strategy of the previous management team.

Thought we played well today and i was surprised at how easy a win for us that was.......Was shocked that the horrible sons players tried their best to put a tackle on our Nathan in the second half, good to see he had the last laugh by managing to jump out of the way....ha ha sons .

There's only a handful of players working for C&G frank.
Dom Thomas on loan has his own business, as other players have jobs too & Beany sells dodgy syrups.
I'd be more concerned if we were posting losses in the region of £400,000  frank.

Would DT want to stay Part time then? Would love him at us next season

Also no idea why frank tries to go on the wind up every week what's he upto trying to get Dumbarton fans wound up ffs

7 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Also no idea why frank tries to go on the wind up every week what's he upto trying to get Dumbarton fans wound up ffs

He's not in the plans at Kilmarnock just now, Thomas is definitely a Championship level player.

Great prospect

Thomas is still a full time player is he not? Killie and yourselves forking out over £1200 on a part time wage every week is madness if so!!

I know I’ve hammered him a lot this season, but I genuinely cannot remember a goalkeeper who makes as few saves as Grant Adam. I’m not sure I’ve seen him make a single save I wouldn’t expect him to make all year. In fact I’m struggling to remember him making very many saves at all.

That third goal is totally inexcusable. It’s not even like there’s a low sun or a strong wind. He just makes a terrible decision and then comes out with all the conviction of an outfield player in a training game.

Doesn’t cover himself in glory for the fourth either. Pushing it right out into the middle of the box is the last place that should be going.

Combine that with his distribution and I think he’s actually worse than Mark Brown. Assuming we get rid of him in the summer he’ll be playing for Kelty Hearts or someone next year.

Hopefully Brennan gets a start next week and we sign a goalkeeper who can actually make saves in the summer. Aldo might be available, David Mitchell (who Duffy tried to sign at Morton) might be available, Derek Gaston has been dropped by Morton, so he could be available. We’ve been through some number of ‘keepers this season, and we’re long overdue a decent one.

Archived