Lesmahagow AFC

Mon the Gow

Sunday Trophy Semi-Final 17/03/2019

Lesmahagow 1 - 1 Westside (Edinburgh)

Gow Won 5-4 pens

Well where to start, the game started off pretty cagey with both sides struggling to dictate the game. After ten minutes westside seemed to have the upper hand and had a few shots from distance, before smashing one off the post.

We then grew into the game and started to play some nice stuff. A through ball from daryl found James mcrorie through one on one, The keeper made a good save but thankfully the rebound fell to Darryl McDonald who slotted the ball home.

Westside then had a great chance right before half time, when there cm found himself free in the 6 yard box but headed over.

1-0 Ht

Then second half was probably the poorest we have been all season. Westside were dominating the game and pushing for an equaliser, it was cross after cross, corner after corner, but our defence was rock solid. Robbie, Strum, Jack and Jordan were dealing with everything. Shawzy made a few cracking saves to keep the scoreline at 1-0.

Then with 5 minutes of normal time to go westside striker found himself clean through before being pulled down by strum who was sent off.

At this stage Westside were battering us, with everyone trying there best to keep them out, then on the 94th minute the unthinkable happened. A cross from the right reached a free man at the back posted who headed the ball back across and was smashed in by there striker. A goal which on the balance of play they probably deserved.

We were on the receiving end of a last second equalizer this round.

West side striker who scored the equalizer then missed there first penalty which boosted everyone, and everyone of our penalty takers stepped up and scored to send us into the Scottish cup final 18 months after we started.

By no means our best performance of the season, but through to the final of the Scottish cup unbelievable.

Credit to westside, they were a very good side and made it extremely difficult for us.

Huge thanks again to everyone who came out and supported us yesterday the support was different class.

Special mention to wee Johnny Weir taking the photos, brilliant mate.

Once again big thanks To The Masons and Pepes for their continued support, nothing would be possible without there backing.

AND ONE MORE THING, KEEP THE 5TH OF MAY IN YOUR DIARIES TROOOPSSS.... MON THE GOW......

Other news , Lesmahagow AFC have been accepted into the CSAFL starting next season.

Its a big jump but one we are looking forward to, we have already added experienced coaches to come in and help develop the Saturday team.

We understand the CSAFL  is one of the best leagues in the country. It will be a tough challenge but we cant wait to get started.

We will still be continuing to run our Sunday team as well in the airdrie and coatbridge league.

Its a good young group of local players we have at present and with the addition of some experiance, we would hope they can keep progressing over the next couple of years that Lesmagaow AFC will be a good addition to CSAFL. 

On ‎19‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 09:51, Mon the Gow said:

Sunday Trophy Semi-Final 17/03/2019

Lesmahagow 1 - 1 Westside (Edinburgh)

Gow Won 5-4 pens

Well where to start, the game started off pretty cagey with both sides struggling to dictate the game. After ten minutes westside seemed to have the upper hand and had a few shots from distance, before smashing one off the post.

We then grew into the game and started to play some nice stuff. A through ball from daryl found James mcrorie through one on one, The keeper made a good save but thankfully the rebound fell to Darryl McDonald who slotted the ball home.

Westside then had a great chance right before half time, when there cm found himself free in the 6 yard box but headed over.

1-0 Ht

Then second half was probably the poorest we have been all season. Westside were dominating the game and pushing for an equaliser, it was cross after cross, corner after corner, but our defence was rock solid. Robbie, Strum, Jack and Jordan were dealing with everything. Shawzy made a few cracking saves to keep the scoreline at 1-0.

Then with 5 minutes of normal time to go westside striker found himself clean through before being pulled down by strum who was sent off.

At this stage Westside were battering us, with everyone trying there best to keep them out, then on the 94th minute the unthinkable happened. A cross from the right reached a free man at the back posted who headed the ball back across and was smashed in by there striker. A goal which on the balance of play they probably deserved.

We were on the receiving end of a last second equalizer this round.

West side striker who scored the equalizer then missed there first penalty which boosted everyone, and everyone of our penalty takers stepped up and scored to send us into the Scottish cup final 18 months after we started.

By no means our best performance of the season, but through to the final of the Scottish cup unbelievable.

Credit to westside, they were a very good side and made it extremely difficult for us.

Huge thanks again to everyone who came out and supported us yesterday the support was different class.

Special mention to wee Johnny Weir taking the photos, brilliant mate.

Once again big thanks To The Masons and Pepes for their continued support, nothing would be possible without there backing.

AND ONE MORE THING, KEEP THE 5TH OF MAY IN YOUR DIARIES TROOOPSSS.... MON THE GOW......

I was there supporting Westside and agree with your match report , it was a bit cagey at times but there was a bit at stake , my only issue was a big game like that should've went to extra time and not straight to penalties - maybe me just being biased.   all the best in the next game.

Best bit was your guys hit them on the break  4 against 1 and the guy tripped over the ball , that would've made it 2 - 0 and game over ,

2 hours ago, Brad Bobley said:

Will it be largely the same players playing on both days? I’m aware very few of your Sunday players play on a Saturday.

We have 4 players that play with other teams on a Saturday. The starting 11 there was 2 keeper being one of those and 2 on the bench. The rest of the squad don't play a Saturday. We hope some of our existing younger guys will progress into good Saturday players.  Some of the players just now can't play a Saturday due to work, so they stay with the Sunday.  We are now looking to add to the existing Saturday and Sunday squads.

1 hour ago, amfan said:

I was there supporting Westside and agree with your match report , it was a bit cagey at times but there was a bit at stake , my only issue was a big game like that should've went to extra time and not straight to penalties - maybe me just being biased.   all the best in the next game.

Best bit was your guys hit them on the break  4 against 1 and the guy tripped over the ball , that would've made it 2 - 0 and game over ,

With us down to 10 men and Westside scoring  4 minutes into injury time we were okay with going straight to pens.  Think he seen the winning post and got his feet tangled, all he had to do was square it and it was all over lol......   

We have 4 players that play with other teams on a Saturday. The starting 11 there was 2 keeper being one of those and 2 on the bench. The rest of the squad don't play a Saturday. We hope some of our existing younger guys will progress into good Saturday players.  Some of the players just now can't play a Saturday due to work, so they stay with the Sunday.  We are now looking to add to the existing Saturday and Sunday squads.

I know your goalie plays for Motherwell Thistle on a Saturday. The boy who played against Westside, Shawzy, does he play a Saturday?

All the best with it anyway. As I’ve said in another thread, I think you’ll do fine if you can get big enough squads and boys who are committed.

2 hours ago, Ammyfootballman92 said:

So Lesmahagow who do yous fancy in the final.

Well done lads great achievement. 

2 hours ago, Ammyfootballman92 said:

So Lesmahagow who do yous fancy in the final.

Well done lads great achievement. 

I'm not to bothered if I'm honest. Castlemilk are the same as The Gow play same group of players every week. East End Tower could bring players in for the semi and final that's what the talk is? It may not be true we will see on Sunday. I do know they had a good few guys missing when they got beat with Castlemilk a week or so ago.  Both ourselves and Castlemilk got beat by Drumchapel last season in the quarter finals and semi finals and that team was full of players from Coville who only played in the Scottish. That in my opinion is not what the Sunday Trophy is about.  If guys do want to play regular Saturday and Sunday got no hassle with that at all take my hat off to them.

We started our team 18months ago. We like to think we can give anyone a game so we are just going to enjoy the day and try our best for the 90mins and hope it's enough to bring it home.. there will be no bringing players in with the Gow they got us to the final and deserve to play.

Mon the Gow..

19 hours ago, Mon the Gow said:

I'm not to bothered if I'm honest. Castlemilk are the same as The Gow play same group of players every week. East End Tower could bring players in for the semi and final that's what the talk is? It may not be true we will see on Sunday. I do know they had a good few guys missing when they got beat with Castlemilk a week or so ago.  Both ourselves and Castlemilk got beat by Drumchapel last season in the quarter finals and semi finals and that team was full of players from Coville who only played in the Scottish. That in my opinion is not what the Sunday Trophy is about.  If guys do want to play regular Saturday and Sunday got no hassle with that at all take my hat off to them.

We started our team 18months ago. We like to think we can give anyone a game so we are just going to enjoy the day and try our best for the 90mins and hope it's enough to bring it home.. there will be no bringing players in with the Gow they got us to the final and deserve to play.

Mon the Gow..

The boys who played for the Drum last season not just the ones from Colville where there week in week out unless injured holiday suspension etc.  In fact some of the ones from Colville were up there with most appearances over the season. So don't know where that misconception comes from that they only played in the Scottish. They were there playing for the Gaffer as most are very good friends with him. The only time we struggled to get boys who played Sat was couple midweeks at end of season as their schedule was hectic and they where dead on their feet.

I thought Lesmahagow where a very good young side and Dynamo have been a top Sunday side for years. If they keep their squads together for the Sat they will be very good additions to the Central and I'd expect them to be up there competing for promotion.

Archived