East Fife vs Brechin Match Thread

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well done City - could prove to be  priceless. Need to kick on now and get something out of both games in hand that we have on Stenny, for starters. 

Also well done to all those that travelled down. I happened to drive thru the squarie as the bus was emptying out and it looked like a decent effort considering our league position. Glad you were rewarded. 

FWIW I stayed in town and took in Brechin vics v Banks O Dee. When we left, with about 15 to go, Vics were 0-8 down and down to ten men. Things could be worse!

Will be very interested to hear Darren Young's post-match comments.

From a mere fan's point of view :

Why play with 1 up top,Courts?, and your top scorer,Dowds, as a right winger.? Why not 2 upfront.?

Why play your best , pacy right-midfielder, Dunsmore, at right-back.There was no out - ball on the right. Kudos by the way to Craig Thomson who I thought played very well.

The central midfield pairing of Davidson and Docherty were awful . Agnew was a mere shadow of his former self. Watt  played as he has done for several weeks.

As others have said , Meggatt MUST play next week.

Only positives for me were Dowds when he went through the middle and the return of Currie.

Sorry Darren but you got both your personnel and formation completely and utterly wrong today . 

A fantastic opportunity to get 3 points today - gone.

Managers tactics completely wrong. Why have Docherty in the middle of the park.All he did was slow the game right down playing in to Brechins hands .Johnny  Court up front and Dowds on the wing.Really can't understand that.Is Johnny Court not due a rest.I remember when Thomson played for us against Arbroath and got dropped after one game never to play again.Yet other players who's play is not that good can't get out of the team. The manager should have made positional changes in the first half and admit he got it completely wrong.

2 hours ago, monthefife said:

Yes, the players were awful today; did not in the least looked like they knew what they were supposed to be doing, but today's result is on the managers shoulders. He got the line up, formation and substitutions completely wrong from start to finish. Fair play to Brechin, they're still the worst side I've seen this season but we made them look like world beaters. Where do WE go from here? It's as if we're trying NOT to make the play-offs now. Expect nothing less than a gubbing next weekend against our smelly neighobours leaving Montrose just over our shoulders.

You’ve only beat us once, we pumped you first game you pumped us second and the other 2 there hasn’t been much in it either way

Great 3 point against a decent outfit, again I couldn’t see us getting beat, we really are a solid unit now, we still need more of a threat at the other end, we’re in ok form but really need 4-5 wins to be safe from drop, I know it ifs and buts but if we beat a 9 men stenny and the ref hadn’t robbed us against Stranraer we could be sitting 5 points better off with games in hand,

the squad is back now and we have the luxury of having  quality on the bench must be about getting safe as quickly as possible now 

18 minutes ago, Best Team in Angus said:

I think you need to accept your no really as good as you think you are you have just lost to one of the worst Brechin teams in the last 20 years :thumsup2

I think we've known that going on couple of months!

KK the assistant did actually give the first goal the signal being, as all linos are taught is to run towards the half way line with their flag straight down which he did.. Didn't see much complaints from the EF players which tells something. The second goal was farcical but a second was on the cards the way we were playing possibly even a third on the break wouldn' t have been a surprise.

East Fife were absolutely DIABOLICAL and totally outplayed by Brechin. The passing was the worst I have ever seen by every team member. We have a very defensive midfield although our defending at time leaves much to be desired, who do not have the speed and  energy to support the strikers when the ball is hoofed up the park. Jonny Court gives a lot of effort but I am afraid he is not league 1 or 2 standard, does not win much in the air and doesn't control or hold up the ball well at all.

I don't really bother much when we win a corner cos we do not win many headers from set pieces. All in all for a team in fourth place in the league and turn in a performance such as they did today was embarrassing to say the least.

5 hours ago, monthefife said:

Yes, the players were awful today; did not in the least looked like they knew what they were supposed to be doing, but today's result is on the managers shoulders. He got the line up, formation and substitutions completely wrong from start to finish. Fair play to Brechin, they're still the worst side I've seen this season but we made them look like world beaters. Where do WE go from here? It's as if we're trying NOT to make the play-offs now. Expect nothing less than a gubbing next weekend against our smelly neighobours leaving Montrose just over our shoulders.

Cheeky bugger. Can’t you just accept a beating without being insulting?

Cheeky bugger. Can’t you just accept a beating without being insulting?

This is going to read kack-handed and insulting and full of sour grapes however I write this and it really isn't meant as such, but Brechin were there to be be beaten today, make no doubts about it, they were today, by far, the worst team I have seen roll up to the Nou Bayview this season, I'm not talking about the other games against them this term which were all fairly close, I'm talking about today, they were awful, but we, after an encouraging start, managed to be worse!!!
Their first goal was shit and I would love to see it again, just for its sheer awfulness. It was also their first and only attempt on target in the first half and their second doesn't even bare thinking about, on a plate I think the apt phrase would be, it would also be only their second (and last) attempt on target in the game!!!
Today is up there with the shocker that was Dumbarton away this season as being our worst performance of the season, in fact it was probably our worst performance at home that I can think of, in years!!!
DY has had a lot of plaudits this season but he has also got to take the blame where and when it is due and he got a lot wrong today, our top scorer playing out wide, arguably our best and most consistent player this season sitting on the bench, changes made to late to make a difference, too many defensive midfielders, our best attacking right midfielder playing right back when there is a full back option on the bench, continuing to persist with the only centre forward (wearing number 9 no less) who has still to score a goal in the League this season, there's probably more but it's hurting to much to think of them!!!
That and possibly every player deciding to have their worst game of the season at the same time, you just couldn't write it!!!
Anyway, I'm away to continue to dilute my whisky with my salty tears and hope that this was an aberration and like the aforementioned Dumbarton game that it is a watershed moment and that the players have a good talk amongst themselves at training and decide that they actually do want to make the playoffs this season, because today it looked like they were trying their damnedest to chuck it away!!!

Archived