Merge the Borders

For too long now Berwick have been an embarrassment to League 2, providing nothing to the division other than an easy 3 points to every team that plays them. They along with Hawick and Gala, who we beat 8-1 and 4-0 respectively in the cup a few years back, are the worst team I have seen us play. I have also watched Peebles and Selkirk a few times in the last few years and they too were atrocious.

Now I'm not saying a merged team would be world beaters, far from it. But they might be able to at least not stink out the bottom end of whatever league they were put in. Probably the new East of Scotland Premier Division as of next season.

Some may point to Angus, a similar sized area, as evidence of 4 flourishing teams in close proximity and say the Borders could have the same. However, the people of Angus are not Tory, rugby playing mutants and each of their 4 clubs dwarf any of their Borders counterparts in size.

They could be called Vale of Peebles Fairydean Albert Rangers and play at Eyemouth.

For too long now Berwick have been an embarrassment to League 2, providing nothing to the division other than an easy 3 points to every team that plays them. They along with Hawick and Gala, who we beat 8-1 and 4-0 respectively in the cup a few years back, are the worst team I have seen us play. I have also watched Peebles and Selkirk a few times in the last few years and they too were atrocious.
Now I'm not saying a merged team would be world beaters, far from it. But they might be able to at least not stink out the bottom end of whatever league they were put in. Probably the new East of Scotland Premier Division as of next season.
Some may point to Angus, a similar sized area, as evidence of 4 flourishing teams in close proximity and say the Borders could have the same. However, the people of Angus are not Tory, rugby playing mutants and each of their 4 clubs dwarf any of their Borders counterparts in size.
They could be called Vale of Peebles Fairydean Albert Rangers and play at Eyemouth.

Your an absolute tool crawl back under yer stone

Cutting through the emotion and clickbait, mergers are maybe not that daft, if the mergee's can agree on a common aspiration beyond individual capability. The Inverness merger took 2 teams that'd struggle to aspire beyond HL, successfully to a target of participation at the top level of Scottish football.

The Angus scenario would, and perhaps should, never become a merger due to the proud history of each club; albeit the respective Inverness supports endured that pain and some are happy it happened, some still don't (and will never) go to ICT matches.

If the Glasgow clubs want to succesfully compete in the Champions League against top European clubs, following afca32 logic, they all merge and play at Firhill. ok, logic is pushing it a bit...

Cutting through the emotion and clickbait, mergers are maybe not that daft, if the mergee's can agree on a common aspiration beyond individual capability. The Inverness merger took 2 teams that'd struggle to aspire beyond HL, successfully to a target of participation at the top level of Scottish football.

The Angus scenario would, and perhaps should, never become a merger due to the proud history of each club; albeit the respective Inverness supports endured that pain and some are happy it happened, some still don't (and will never) go to ICT matches.

If the Glasgow clubs want to succesfully compete in the Champions League against top European clubs, following afca32 logic, they all merge and play at Firhill. ok, logic is pushing it a bit...

Surely the only home for Glasgow United would be Hampden?

Maybe Hibs and Hearts might be ready for Edinburgh United now that Edinburgh City is claimed. Big derby day just like Manchester. Play at Murrayfield and rename the main stand The Wallace Mercer Pavillion.

1 hour ago, dougster said:

A good idea, lets do the same with the Highland teams merge Forres, Ullapool Cove Keith  with Oban Fraserburgh and Fort William and call it FUCKOFF for short 

Only 2 of those 7 are Highland teams I'm afraid. But killing off Keith, Forres and Cove sounds great so I'm on board anyway!

I think you should be more worried about your own team not Berwick. They have achieved more in the last 20 years than we have in the Scottish leagues.

You maybe would like a Moray United. Elgin, Forres, Buckie, Keith, Rothes and Lossiemouth combined might do better than Elgin has done!

On 3/18/2019 at 08:27, dougster said:

A good idea, lets do the same with the Highland teams merge Forres, Ullapool Cove Keith  with Oban Fraserburgh and Fort William and call it FUCKOFF for short 

Is that because all those towns voted to Remain? Racist!

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks
To mess up dougster's signature

55 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

Decent idea tbh but seems a lot of hassle. Easier just rebuilding Hadrian’s wall but a few miles further north.

Hadrian's Wall runs through Newcastle not the modern border champ. 

This would only be an East Borders merger - you'd then need to combine Queen of the South, Annan and Gretna 2008 to form a seaside league powerhouse for the other half of the Borders. 

On 18/03/2019 at 08:19, afca32 said:

Oh dear, where have you been hiding?