The 'Tremendous' Tales of Tightfistedness Thread

1 hour ago, microdave said:

I used to work in a hotel with a pub attached to it where the local folk drank. The hotel changed hands and an elderly couple lobbied the new owners to use 35ml optics instead of 25ml which they were happy to do. The couple absolutely lost their shit when the price went up accordingly since they expected it to stay the same cost. They ended up boycotting the place and driving four miles to the next nearest pub and back on the 25ml measures. That only cost them money in fuel and of course the risk of losing a licence if caught drink driving.

In a similar note of cutting your nose off to spite your face my papa was a bit outraged and racist-y when his local shop was bought over by a gentleman of Asian descent.  This shop was literally across the road from his house (literally) and he ended up getting into an argument with the guy as the cost of rolls went up from 18p to 20p (I'm pretty sure he was desperate to get involved in some kind of argument with the guy regardless of the reason).

As a result he just stopped going back into the shop and would walk the half a mile up a hill to the other nearest shop or pay for a taxi.   This was at least 5 years before he died (my papa, not the shopkeeper) and he never went back into the shop.  As a heavy smoker this no doubt caused him some inconvenience. 

32 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

In a similar note of cutting your nose off to spite your face my papa was a bit outraged and racist-y when his local shop was bought over by a gentleman of Asian descent.  This shop was literally across the road from his house (literally) and he ended up getting into an argument with the guy as the cost of rolls went up from 18p to 20p (I'm pretty sure he was desperate to get involved in some kind of argument with the guy regardless of the reason).

As a result he just stopped going back into the shop and would walk the half a mile up a hill to the other nearest shop or pay for a taxi.   This was at least 5 years before he died (my papa, not the shopkeeper) and he never went back into the shop.  As a heavy smoker this no doubt caused him some inconvenience. 

The exercise probably increased his lifespan; so the new owners should be applauded.

Condolences etc... 

1 minute ago, Angusfifer said:

The exercise probably increased his lifespan; so the new owners should be applauded.

Condolences etc... 

Probably not because he no doubt smoked fags the whole way up and back down again.

1 hour ago, ali_91 said:

Couple of observations;

1 - Never drink in a bar that doesn’t sell Tennents. 

2 - Splitting the bill at a restaurant is obviously the decent thing to do, and adding up to the £ is obviously tight behaviour, but what is much worse is ordering a starter, a steak, a dessert and alcohol and expecting to pay the same as someone who has had a starter and a main and been on soft drinks all night. If you spend significantly more than someone else then you should be putting in significantly more. I’d be mortified if somebody is subsiding me based on ‘etiquette.’ 

Never go for a meal with someone who keeps track of people's orders.

10 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

It’s not difficult to know when someone is ordering a lot less than you. Total Tory behaviour to expect it split equally in those circumstances. 

Never eat out with folk who aren't as greedy as you are simple

Couple of observations;

1 - Never drink in a bar that doesn’t sell Tennents. 

2 - Splitting the bill at a restaurant is obviously the decent thing to do, and adding up to the £ is obviously tight behaviour, but what is much worse is ordering a starter, a steak, a dessert and alcohol and expecting to pay the same as someone who has had a starter and a main and been on soft drinks all night. If you spend significantly more than someone else then you should be putting in significantly more. I’d be mortified if somebody is subsiding me based on ‘etiquette.’ 

Think you can forgive the odd slip, especially in a large group but doing it intentionally is just bad form. Years back when the kids were small, we went on three or four summer holidays with a group of 5/6 families and extended friends. One couple in particular (from Queensferry) would order the full business from the menu, starters, mains plus sides and desserts, quaff their way through two decent bottles of wine and then get stuck into the coffees/mints and brandy. Without fail he was the first to pipe up ‘are we just sharing the bill?’ whilst she nodded with approval, ‘aye that seems fair’. Cheeky fat bassas.

I guess we were as much at fault as no-one ever really challenged them. Perhaps because they were quite a jolly couple, no one wanted to offend them despite their gluttony on the cheap.

7 minutes ago, RedRob72 said:

Think you can forgive the odd slip, especially in a large group but doing it intentionally is just bad form. Years back when the kids were small, we went on three or four summer holidays with a group of 5/6 families and extended friends. One couple in particular (from Queensferry) would order the full business from the menu, starters, mains plus sides and desserts, quaff their way through two decent bottles of wine and then get stuck into the coffees/mints and brandy. Without fail he was the first to pipe up ‘are we just sharing the bill’ whilst she nodded with approval, ‘aye that seems fair’. Cheeky fat bassas.
I guess we were as much at fault as no-one ever really challenged them. Perhaps because they were quite a jolly couple, no one wanted to offend them despite their gluttony on the cheap.

Wide boys, were they?

On 18/03/2019 at 15:55, Shotgun said:

Yes! The wife of the aforementioned boss would always find some ridiculously nit-picky "fault" and use it as an excuse to insist on something being knocked off the bill. One time they brought in a painter to do the outside of the shop and she stiffed him on his bill because she didn't like the colour of the undercoat he used.

The undercoat.

This was a small town and word got around so over time, the pool of tradesmen willing to work for them got smaller and smaller. Which of course, just fed into their Thatcherite belief that "people just don't want to work."  

I do know a plumber who removed all the bathroom fixtures and fittings due to non-payment.

On 19/03/2019 at 08:44, Hedgecutter said:

I find it staggering that some people wait for 1p change in a charity shop. Seen it happen. 

And no, it wasn't me. 

Late at night, I clearly have drink on the mind rather than Canada Goose jackets. 

I'll probably be referring to them as Canada Dry next. Far better name for a jacket, don't you think?

Back in the day I had to run around Doonfoot to get a penny off the milkman as a bampot paced up and down his porch waiting for his 1p change, never got caught out in that manner again.

2 hours ago, RedRob72 said:

Think you can forgive the odd slip, especially in a large group but doing it intentionally is just bad form. Years back when the kids were small, we went on three or four summer holidays with a group of 5/6 families and extended friends. One couple in particular (from Queensferry) would order the full business from the menu, starters, mains plus sides and desserts, quaff their way through two decent bottles of wine and then get stuck into the coffees/mints and brandy. Without fail he was the first to pipe up ‘are we just sharing the bill?’ whilst she nodded with approval, ‘aye that seems fair’. Cheeky fat bassas.

Jolly fat.

6 hours ago, ayrmad said:

Back in the day I had to run around Doonfoot to get a penny off the milkman as a bampot paced up and down his porch waiting for his 1p change, never got caught out in that manner again.

^^^ too cheap to part with 1p of his own cash and would rather run around the village hunting for the milkman instead type post. 

1 minute ago, Hedgecutter said:

^^^ too cheap to part with 1p of his own cash and would rather run around the village hunting for the milkman instead type post. 

You obviously haven't had a look at my betting record in those days.

A boy at my work is famous for being tight-fisted,

Over Christmas we had a down shift, the boss was kind enough to buy as all a takeaway, he was on holiday, came back and asked the boss for the money as he thought it was unfair on missing out.

He is the same guy that takes the few days old newspapers then takes them back in once done with them.

Just now, tobeylarone said:

A boy at my work is famous for being tight-fisted,

Over Christmas we had a down shift, the boss was kind enough to buy as all a takeaway, he was on holiday, came back and asked the boss for the money as he thought it was unfair on missing out.

He is the same guy that takes the few days old newspapers then takes them back in once done with them.

Horrendous stuff.

Hopefully he was laughed at then told to bolt and stop being a p***k.

On 26/03/2019 at 03:29, RockMusic said:

As a teenager I got chucked by a girlfriend (total wid as well) for not halfing in for a taxi one night. Not sure if it was me or her that was the tight one!!? The thing is, I had come out the nightclub totally skint and told her I was walking home. She said she'd drop me off in her taxi as it was on the same route to hers. Then I got ditched for not halfing in!! Still scunnered about it 35 years later.

The secret there is to be a great ride and you can get away with anything. 

FWIW I bought some jeans from Next 2 years back and they faded and the buttons in the fly popped off after a couple of months.  I have a pair of Hugo Boss jeans that I've had for a year longer which are still in great nick.  You definitely get higher quality with top brands.

I used to work for hugo boss, most of the jeans etc were made in the same factories in Bangladesh and Turkey as their competitors, some of the materials are better but its essentially the same people on the same machines. Cheap shitey next/asda jeans aren’t great, but you’re as well paying for a decent pair of jeans at £40-£50 as a pair of Boss jeans at £100+. Many of the ‘fake’ dress shirts on sale in turkey are actually just seconds from the factory in Izmir.