The 'Tremendous' Tales of Tightfistedness Thread

FWIW I bought some jeans from Next 2 years back and they faded and the buttons in the fly popped off after a couple of months.  I have a pair of Hugo Boss jeans that I've had for a year longer which are still in great nick.  You definitely get higher quality with top brands.

11 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

My wife bought me a wee stainless steel travel kettle because the plastic kettles in most hotels make the water taste foul.

Possibly unrelated, but I remember reading on a popular Scottish football forum that people pish in hotel kettles when they're too drunk/lazy to make it to the lavvy.

17 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Possibly unrelated, but I remember reading on a popular Scottish football forum that people pish in hotel kettles when they're too drunk/lazy to make it to the lavvy.

I pished in the sink in a B&B in Aberdeen, but that was because the door was fiendishly locked and I couldn't get out to get to the pisher.

This was the same night that @Stellaboz was taken away to some odd leather club and was passed around like a chew toy.

14 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I pished in the sink in a B&B in Aberdeen, but that was because the door was fiendishly locked and I couldn't get out to get to the pisher.

This was the same night that @Stellaboz was taken away to some odd leather club and was passed around like a chew toy.

Phew. The wean just asked us what a "gimp" is today, so I'll get him to check in on this thread later on.

On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 12:39, Billy Rubin said:

This.  But only folk from the south.   

It's always folk with money who're tight as a drum. 

That's how they have it...

On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 14:34, NewBornBairn said:

The wife nominates Forth Valley Hospital. In for an operation, dinner was a ham salad.

Without any ham.

Or tomatoes.

Or cucumber.

Or dressing.

Just three leaves of wilted lettuce. 

It was all there when it left the canteen, honest guv.

On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 16:55, Angusfifer said:

Know a guy who invited his golf club mates back to his house for a drink. Got his wife up out of bed to make them sandwiches. Then charged them for the sandwiches.

If there is one thing I hate more than golf it's members of golf clubs...

You cannot be serious!

On ‎19‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 09:53, DA Baracus said:

I was called tight by a lad because I said that the £120 he spent on a polo shirt was an astonishing rip off and exceptionally stupid.

I'd be looking a suit for that sort of money...

59 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Phew. The wean just asked us what a "gimp" is today, so I'll get him to check in on this thread later on.

You could just show him some of your old outfits

45 minutes ago, mathematics said:

So not in the operating theatres then

16 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

You could just show him some of your old outfits

Ah, the Third Division title celebrations...what a night that was.

25069793351_f7fd0a06c1.jpg

As a teenager I got chucked by a girlfriend (total wid as well) for not halfing in for a taxi one night. Not sure if it was me or her that was the tight one!!? The thing is, I had come out the nightclub totally skint and told her I was walking home. She said she'd drop me off in her taxi as it was on the same route to hers. Then I got ditched for not halfing in!! Still scunnered about it 35 years later.

I'm sure the barstaff set the prices for each item, as it's well known that those lowest in the chain of a company make all such decisions.

Reminded me of a woman a few weeks back. One of those fucking arseholes that make comments to her company but not directly to me. To start with she asked for her ticket and then commented to the 2 boys sitting with "let's see how much it's went up by". Incidentally it was 20p, which made her seethe. She went on a rant about the rise and how they want folk to use the trains and keep putting prices up. Not once did she say anything directly to me, always to the the two boys she was with. I served the other two guys and she was still fuming and shaking her head over this extortionate price hike. FWIW, I'm not entirely sure she was with the guys as they looked pretty embarrassed with her behaviour and couldn't have been any nicer, they never got off at the same stop either so I'm assuming this nutcase just plonked herself at their table. Anyway back to the point. She got off the train and I saw her getting in to a brand new Jaguar. I burst out laughing as soon as I saw it. As it was Kirkconnel, I'm guessing it was a stolen vehicle as well. Couldn't believe the state she got in over 20p when she clearly had money.

On the food discussion. Backshift at KFC used to be brilliant as you could take home any of the food that was going to go to waste. Then the owner stopped this and you were only allowed to take one piece away with you. The amount of waste at the end of shifts was unbelievable.

11 hours ago, A96 said:

Saw an opened packet of biscuits lying on the pavement yesterday , naebody else around.

Euro Shopper Chocolate Chip Cookies , Best Before July 2019  , Twin Pack for £1.

One of the two packs was gone , the other still in the clear ,cellophane wrapper , unopened. The cookies inside were still intact.

I moved to pick it up , but wife said "You're nae picking that up, disna matter that it's nae been opened.....somebody might've injected it wi' something"

Would it have been tight-fistedness to pick them up with a view to eating them myself ?

Edited to add that the ground where the biscuits were lying was clean

The wife was right on the grounds that if there's a packet of biscuits lying on the pavement in Aberdeen that hasn't already been attacked by scorries then there must be something wrong with it. 

9 hours ago, tamthebam said:

The wife was right on the grounds that if there's a packet of biscuits lying on the pavement in Aberdeen that hasn't already been attacked by scorries then there must be something wrong with it. 

Or the person immediately in front of them was the person that dropped the biscuits.

These folk normally do in my experience. 
My old boss, minted beyond belief, once claimed a glass of tap water on expenses which he was charged about 20p for one time.  He argued with the hotel about having to pay for it but they charged him anyway and he demanded a receipt. 
Hope he got a Vat receipt as if registered and it was for business purpose he will get the vat element back for the business.

I used to work in a hotel with a pub attached to it where the local folk drank. The hotel changed hands and an elderly couple lobbied the new owners to use 35ml optics instead of 25ml which they were happy to do. The couple absolutely lost their shit when the price went up accordingly since they expected it to stay the same cost. They ended up boycotting the place and driving four miles to the next nearest pub and back on the 25ml measures. That only cost them money in fuel and of course the risk of losing a licence if caught drink driving.