The 'Tremendous' Tales of Tightfistedness Thread

9 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Anyone who's worked in a charity shop will have plenty of tales of surprising generosity, but also of astonishing tightfistedness. People will walk in and literally tell you what they're going to pay for something - not haggle, but outright name their own price - and will be shocked when told to GTF; "people just give you this stuff for free anyway" being the most popular defence for being a cheapskate chancer. And it's more likely to be over items that cost pennies rather than pounds.

Still better than the shoplifters, though.

I find it staggering that some people wait for 1p change in a charity shop. Seen it happen. 

And no, it wasn't me. 

7 hours ago, Dele said:

Goose Island have started selling jackets? 

6 hours ago, BillyAnchor said:

I thought hoodys were as far as they went

Goose Island Beer Black Shirt White T-Shirt Front

Late at night, I clearly have drink on the mind rather than Canada Goose jackets. 

I'll probably be referring to them as Canada Dry next. Far better name for a jacket, don't you think?

9 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Anyone who's worked in a charity shop will have plenty of tales of surprising generosity, but also of astonishing tightfistedness. People will walk in and literally tell you what they're going to pay for something - not haggle, but outright name their own price

Working as part of the jumble sale team at the baths in Primrose Street in the 70s, I had exactly this experience. I was on the shoes and handbags table. A standard pair of shoes were a tanner, up to 5 bob for the pair of just below knee-length leather boots that had been donated, presumably by the richest woman in Clackmannanshire. An auld dame grabbed a pair of our top shoes - shorter boots, in very good condition - and I said, "2 shillings". She sort of cackled and said, "Naw, here!", dropped under a shilling in coppers into my hand, and was off. By the time I'd reacted, she had melted into the throng.

Maybe it's an Alloa tradition.

Guy I know, a dentist is the most tight c**t ever.... but tight on all the wrong things

He got stopped by the police at a random check and played the "I'm Dr Tightcunt and I'm late for clinic" shite. He was laughing that they never checked his car properly, delighted to have gotten away with bald tyres. You put your family in that car. Fucking idiot. 

He wanted to buy his wife a Cat C write off for the family car. I asked if he'd seen the report and repair invoices. He said, "it looked OK and was a bargain" 

Met him in Tesco. Every item in his trly had a yellow sticker. By the look of it, his family were living on sausage rolls and stale cakes for the week 

Especially when it comes to clothes, there gets a point where I'll say I'm not paying £X for [insert garment], even if I can afford it.
I get the impression that it's often the poorest that are the most willing to fork out £30-40 for a t-shirt with a shite brand name on a £5 quality shirt.  Keeping up with the Jones' is pretty much rife in all social classes, although one can easily argue that it's far better to play this  game with classy German cars rather than Goose Island jackets.
Additionally, for this reason, it's also worth highlighting that the big earners are very often the ones that have very little disposable income because of all the shite they feel the need to buy, quite often funded by loans.  

It’s only got worse as a result of social media.
I know boys that still live at home who spend 2 weeks wages on a pair of trainers.

Frightening behaviour.

1 hour ago, whiskychimp said:

He said, "it looked OK and was a bargain" 

Hedgecutter's Dad's rule (and he's very persistent about this):

It's only a bargain if 1) half price or less, 2) you need it, and most importantly 3) you were going to buy it anyway. 

Not 3/3?  Not a bargain. 

Edited by Hedgecutter

3 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

It's only a bargain if 1) half price or more, 2) you need it, and most importantly 3) you were going to buy it anyway. 

Not 3/3?  You're not getting it. 

Hard to argue with that.

36 minutes ago, whiskychimp said:

Met him in Tesco. Every item in his trly had a yellow sticker. By the look of it, his family were living on sausage rolls and stale cakes for the week 

One time my dad was visiting from Oz, we went into M&S for some food and he saw the rather sizeable reduced section. £6 dishes reduced to 50p etc.  He cleared out every single item that was freezable as if Supermarket Sweep was back on the box.

Quite handy though seeing as I ended up with £100+ worth of M&S food that we'd bought for £10-20 quid. Not quite as impressed when he took it upon himself to choose what should go in the garden to make space for it all in my freezer though. 

So if you ever see some sparrows attempting to dig into some crinkle cuts, you know who's in town. 

Edited by Hedgecutter

52 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

It’s only got worse as a result of social media.
I know boys that still live at home who spend 2 weeks wages on a pair of trainers.

Frightening behaviour.

I was called tight by a lad because I said that the £120 he spent on a polo shirt was an astonishing rip off and exceptionally stupid.

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

It's only a bargain if 1) half price or more less, 2) you need it, and most importantly 3) you were going to buy it anyway. 

Not 3/3?  You're not getting it. 

Given how sensible that it, it's amazing how few people apply any sort of similar logic to "bargains". They say the main thing about common sense is that it isn't that common.

I have a shortcut version that amounts to pretty much the same thing, but is a useful very quick sanity check: "Did I initiate this buying opportunity?" It immediately obviates whole classes of things, including up-selling, BOGOFs and related offers, unsolicited sales calls in person and on the phone, extended warranties and just about every sales and marketing ploy imaginable. It's probably equivalent to Rules 2) & 3).

Especially nowadays, the chances that you have just happened to meet the best offer in a particular area by good fortune, for example when out to get the weekly shopping, are virtually nil. Extended warranties are a good example: if you really reckon you needed extended cover, buy it anywhere other than at the point of sale. You will never find as bad a deal for that sort of insurance as the one you're offered then.

29 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I was called tight by a lad because I said that the £120 he spent on a polo shirt was an astonishing rip off and exceptionally stupid.

You're dealing with people spending £100 more to have a tiny logo just to impress other people. 

Discovering that other people (quite rightfully) think that this is moronic behavior was probably never going to go down well. 

I dress to impress nobody but me, away from business at least. Don't mind paying a bit more for a certain level of quality though, i.e. not £5 polo shirts that fade / bobble after two washes. Even £50 would be obscene. 

12 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

You're dealing with people spending £100 more to have a tiny logo just to impress other people. 

Discovering that other people (quite rightfully) think that this is moronic behavior was probably never going to go down well. 

I dress to impress nobody but me, away from business at least. Don't mind paying a bit more for a certain level of quality though, i.e. not £5 polo shirts that fade / bobble after two washes. Even £50 would be obscene. 

The only rule of clothing is that the fabric should be prewashed. After that, any price point is fine. 

A lot of these expensive, mass manufacturered monstrosities are not prewashed. 

3 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Since when was goose island a thing? 1995

They were bought over by one of the big breweries, I think Anheuser-Busch.  This allowed them to pretty much make their beer accessible all over while turning off the very hipsters that actually bought it. No idea how sales are but I still see it a lot on the shelves 

They were bought over by one of the big breweries, I think Anheuser-Busch.  This allowed them to pretty much make their beer accessible all over while turning off the very hipsters that actually bought it. No idea how sales are but I still see it a lot on the shelves 

The one thing they still do really well on in Chicago is the Bourbon County stouts - you can get the base one countrywide but the varietals are only released here. Folks will line up for them on the morning of Black Friday because you can instantly sell them to folks elsewhere for double what you paid for them, it's free money/massive beer trade cachet. And you'll still buy Green Line or IPA at the United Center/streetfests etc because it's all Anheuser-Busch products and push comes to shove, Green Line is still a bit better than Bud Light.

On 18/03/2019 at 14:23, TheScarf said:

I've got a mate who is as tight as a drum.  He honestly chases you for £3 and texts you his bank details so you can transfer him the money.  

The rest of us are just like 'You can get me a pint next time we're out'.  Or the better reply 'Don't worry about it mate'.

Money less than a fiver is like semen.

Once you've given it to someone, you don't really want it back.

9 hours ago, whiskychimp said:

I'd bet you the original worth of that basket's contents he was hovering over the person putting the stickers on them (as I read back now I notice it was a trolley rather than a basket - oh dear)

On 18/03/2019 at 15:37, ScottishZizou said:

A work colleague asked me to pick up a pack of fags on my way in for him. Never been a smoker so was stunned that they were £11 (imagine paying that almost daily to smell bad and die earlier). He said he didn't have cash on him but would square me up at some point. Never ended up giving me the cash. I feel this is just below my cut off of having the awkwardness of bringing it up

Nah, not at all about the money but I'd be hounding him for it.

If a mate or colleague asked for a tenner for like petrol or essentials and forget to pay me back, no biggie, I'd let it slide.

For fucking fags though? You're right I'd be chasing them for the money.