The 'Tremendous' Tales of Tightfistedness Thread

32 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
40 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:
Yes. There was certainly one in our old place who would do it, and I’ve met or two in my new work. 

Surprised the operator of your new platform doesnt frisk yous for stolen goods. Fucking scum....

To be fair, when I was offshore, the camp boss used to offer up sandwiches for the lads going home. Better than rubbish from WH Smith and its already been billed for as part of your daily living allowance (which is peanuts).

4 minutes ago, Futureboy said:

To be fair, when I was offshore, the camp boss used to offer up sandwiches for the lads going home. Better than rubbish from WH Smith and its already been billed for as part of your daily living allowance (which is peanuts).

On the last well I was on, the operator's mud bill was upwards of £1.2million.   Yes, mud.

Just let that sink in.

10 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

On the last well I was on, the operator's mud bill was upwards of £1.2million.   Yes, mud.

Just let that sink in.

That's not unusual. I could quote much higher figures for mud loss. Makes a sandwich from the catering bill fall in to insignificance. 

There's a difference between being frugal and being tight. At times the difference is very little, but there's definitely a difference.

I think the main difference is who it affects. If it's just the person in question who is looking to save money and it doesn't impact anyone else then I don't see much issue. However it's when it affects others the issues start, and it really is poor form.

4 hours ago, ScottishZizou said:

A work colleague asked me to pick up a pack of fags on my way in for him. Never been a smoker so was stunned that they were £11 (imagine paying that almost daily to smell bad and die earlier). He said he didn't have cash on him but would square me up at some point. Never ended up giving me the cash. I feel this is just below my cut off of having the awkwardness of bringing it up

scum

I have a friend who will always buy herself a soft drink when its her round, without fail. She's not saving a lot of money but there's obviously something compelling her to save £1.20 or whatever each time. We all poke fun with faux curiosity about why she's aff the drink suddenly and she keeps coming up with all these bullshit reasons why she just happened to want a coke. One time she crashed dinner me and my wife were having & after realising it had rather spoiled the romance, said she'd take us for drinks after by way of making it up to us. Cue about 15 minutes of us standing by the bar knowing exactly what we want, waiting on her to get the round in and her humming and hawing about all the different things they have before ordering, you guessed it, a coke. She was obviously hoping we'd lose patience and just get our own to get her out of the promise circumstances had forced her to make. No such luck.

My brother's best friend is notorious for being the last to buy a round - many a time he's done a runner or if it's multiple rounds has been the one who's avoided the last round. 

And we will all have that one friend who works out to the last penny what their meal cost on a night out - "But I only had soft drinks . . .".

6 hours ago, sjc said:

Damn right I'd eat the venison.....especially if it had fucked my motor!

6 hours ago, sjc said:

No sure but my Dad's friend hit one in his motor (my dad was a passenger) near Stanley and they got the local butcher to carve up the spoils!

My grandfather wasn't a tightarse, but during WWII, he had the front of his butcher's van strengthened to allow him to hit deer up the Angus glens with impunity. Would hang them on a tripod at the side of the road and gut them there and then, and take them back to the shop to mature (if anyone's been in the crappy Millgate Bar on the way to Gayfield, the shop was there)

Venison wasn't on the ration book, so anyone could buy as much as they could afford...

2 hours ago, Futureboy said:

I wasnt saying it because of the money, I was saying it because the operator of the platform are a set of c***s of the highest magnitude

Got a mate who used to be really bad on nights out. He came up asking for me to buy him a drink as it was his birthday, I agreed cause I was half cut and didn’t think anything of it. 15 minutes later he came up again asking for another one and was told to f**k off :lol: Turned out he had been doing this to pretty much everyone who was out that night. The balls on this kid.

3 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

And we will all have that one friend who works out to the last penny what their meal cost on a night out - "But I only had soft drinks . . .".

On the other hand, there are the jakey b*****ds that smell the combination of a split bill and an attentive waiter from the start.  Usually end up with a few bottles more in the knowledge they're only paying a fraction of each one.

Personally, I'm a bit of a fast drinker and more often than not end up with more beer (can't quench thirst on a 330ml bottle), so I'll make a point of putting in a bit more, usually by not asking for change off of my notes in order to (hopefully) disassociate myself from these aforementioned types.

Extra special f*** you to those that insist on paying by card separately btw.  I believe the bar equivalent of these types has been well covered on many other threads.

Edited by Hedgecutter

2 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

My grandfather wasn't a tightarse, but during WWII, he had the front of his butcher's van strengthened to allow him to hit deer up the Angus glens with impunity. Would hang them on a tripod at the side of the road and gut them there and then, and take them back to the shop to mature (if anyone's been in the crappy Millgate Bar on the way to Gayfield, the shop was there)

Venison wasn't on the ration book, so anyone could buy as much as they could afford...

this wasn't your grandfather by any chance....?

jones.jpg.ca27be838a22609a75fed73b2acec543.jpg

On 18/03/2019 at 19:33, DA Baracus said:

There's a difference between being frugal and being tight. At times the difference is very little, but there's definitely a difference.

I think the main difference is who it affects. If it's just the person in question who is looking to save money and it doesn't impact anyone else then I don't see much issue. However it's when it affects others the issues start, and it really is poor form.

Especially when it comes to clothes, there gets a point where I'll say I'm not paying £X for [insert garment], even if I can afford it.

I get the impression that it's often the poorest that are the most willing to fork out £30-40 for a t-shirt with a shite brand name on a £5 quality shirt.  Keeping up with the Jones' is pretty much rife in all social classes, although one can easily argue that it's far better to play this  game with classy German cars rather than Goose Island Canada Goose jackets.

Additionally, for this reason, it's also worth highlighting that the big earners are very often the ones that have very little disposable income because of all the shite they feel the need to buy, quite often funded by loans.  

Edited by Hedgecutter

Anyone who's worked in a charity shop will have plenty of tales of surprising generosity, but also of astonishing tightfistedness. People will walk in and literally tell you what they're going to pay for something - not haggle, but outright name their own price - and will be shocked when told to GTF; "people just give you this stuff for free anyway" being the most popular defence for being a cheapskate chancer. And it's more likely to be over items that cost pennies rather than pounds.

Still better than the shoplifters, though.