The 'Tremendous' Tales of Tightfistedness Thread

A work colleague asked me to pick up a pack of fags on my way in for him. Never been a smoker so was stunned that they were £11 (imagine paying that almost daily to smell bad and die earlier). He said he didn't have cash on him but would square me up at some point. Never ended up giving me the cash. I feel this is just below my cut off of having the awkwardness of bringing it up

I see it's been mentioned up-thread that it's invariably the most comfortably off who are the tightest-fisted. Now, you could make the argument that this is why they're comfortably off but in my experience, many of them seem to enjoy the game of cheating people with a fraction of their resources. Just because they can.  A mate of mine was a self-employed builder/handyman and he said he hated working for rich people (specifically, the guy who was my boss at the time) because while he needed the work, it was always such a hassle trying to get paid afterwards.

We also had a lad in our social circle for while (a friend of friend type deal), who would make a point of being the last to buy a round in the hopes that the barman would call time before his turn came up. Would he buy first the next time? Would he f**k. And yet he probably earned 2-3 times more than any of the rest of us. One time after he pulled this crap 3 or 4 nights in a row, I went up to get the drinks in and came back with one for everybody except him. He was absolutely livid and genuinely couldn't see why I was 'cheating him.' It was quite entertaining really and after that, everyone else just left him out of the round and he was forced to go to the bar by himself each time.

No money involved but some years ago I had an office next to the company Purchasing Manager. His role brought plenty of freebies from suppliers particularly around Christmas when he was inundated with more diaries, calendars and pens than he could ever use. I believe that normal practice should have been to dispense such trivial goodies around the rest of the staff but this guy never offered anything. One time someone asked him directly if he could get a diary and got one 2 years out of date. Ultimately he left and when the newcomer arrived she found cabinets stuffed with dozens of diaries and calendars going back as much as 10 years and 100s of pens.

Edited by Northboy
spelling

3 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

I have a friend who will always buy herself a soft drink when its her round, without fail. She's not saving a lot of money but there's obviously something compelling her to save £1.20 or whatever each time. We all poke fun with faux curiosity about why she's aff the drink suddenly and she keeps coming up with all these bullshit reasons why she just happened to want a coke.

Yes, I used to know a lad who would drink orange juice (the mixer tap squirty stuff and water, not fresh) when it was his own round but pints of Guinness when other people were buying. Seems odd to me but as he didn't have a problem with anyone ordering what they wanted on his round, I suppose there was no harm in it.

4 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

A mate of mine was a self-employed builder/handyman and he said he hated working for rich people (specifically, the guy who was my boss at the time) because while he needed the work, it was always such a hassle trying to get paid afterwards.

I've similar tales for mates in the same line of work - apart from being slow with the money they tend to find lists of imaginary problems with the work which drags things on forever.

2 minutes ago, Northboy said:

I've similar tales for mates in the same line of work - apart from being slow with the money they tend to find lists of imaginary problems with the work which drags things on forever.

Yes! The wife of the aforementioned boss would always find some ridiculously nit-picky "fault" and use it as an excuse to insist on something being knocked off the bill. One time they brought in a painter to do the outside of the shop and she stiffed him on his bill because she didn't like the colour of the undercoat he used.

The undercoat.

This was a small town and word got around so over time, the pool of tradesmen willing to work for them got smaller and smaller. Which of course, just fed into their Thatcherite belief that "people just don't want to work."  

I know a guy who once asked his girlfriend to split the petrol money to take her down the road after she was visiting him.

Same guy also demanded his parents give him the same amount of money for Christmas as his brother's family got, because they got  extra due to them having a child.

I used to work with a guy who used to bring all of his gadgets into work to charge them up, including electric razor and toothbrush

Most of the real tight arses I have known are usually addicted to something and think nothing of blowing all of their cash on booze, gambling or take aways, but if they can save a penny here or there, then they are winning at life.

Know a guy who invited his golf club mates back to his house for a drink. Got his wife up out of bed to make them sandwiches. Then charged them for the sandwiches.

If there is one thing I hate more than golf it's members of golf clubs...

The rest of us are just like 'You can get me a pint next time we're out'.  Or the better reply 'Don't worry about it mate'.

Exactly this. These things usually even themselves up over time.

Although I’ve a mate who’s the opposite, he’ll hound you if he owes you a couple of quid. I’ve had him transfer me £2 because he’d once booked trains, I sorted the hotel and that was the difference.

Came across a lot of tight people over the years, many earning a considerable amount of money. There’s guys at my work who make themselves a sandwich from the work canteen and stick it in their bag, to save buying something to eat on the way home.

11 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Exactly this. These things usually even themselves up over time.

Do they f***.   I'm running at a £24.40 and £15.52 deficit with two of my best mates who I've been drinking with for just over 15 years now, and it's only going up.

17 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Have other P&Bers witnessed any other ridiculous cheapskatery in their time?  If required, you can always blame any ingenuity on a friend, colleague, or family member.

8 hours ago, moniton said:

A guy I worked with died in a road accident and his wife phoned in and asked for the contents of his locker to be sent to her. His locker was opened and they phoned her to say that there was only a packet of sugar and an opened jar of coffee. She told them just to post them out to her.

Kidding nobody pal, we all know it was you.

Went out for a meal a few weeks back with a big group of people, one of whom is still a student. At the end of the meal we split it equally ignoring what people had rather than having the waitress individually calculate out 16 different meals and bill them all separately. At the end of the collection it was a tenner short so someone just chucked in an extra tenner and we left.

Found out the next day that the student had complained throughout the meal about how expensive the place was and was annoyed that we’d chosen to go there, so fairly sure they’ve left a tenner out and knew someone would pay it assuming it was a mistake rather than causing a scene and grilling each person over what they paid. p***k.

I all seriousness, I just realised that the £8 bus unlimited day ticket that I gave to a guy waiting at the bus stop earlier (seeing as I'm done with my travel today) could have been put through as a company expense.

vader.jpg

Knew something would bite me in the arse with that as I thought:

Will I use it later?  Nah.  I think?  Nope, staying in tonight. Nice night, but we'll probably drive if we head out.  He's counting change so clearly doesn't have a bus pass.  Go on, do your good turn for the day, like in the Cub Scout Promise.

C*** didn't even say thank you.  I'll now be keeping a mental note of ways to save £8 btw.  I can be like this (and did this recently when I found out that I could have bought my pair of Sketchers for far less in Sports Direct than in the Sketchers store where I bought them).

Eta:  Plus £3 for the pie that a seagull snatched from my hand at lunchtime.  Not only am I being fleeced by mannerless arseholes, but now even a menacing seagull too.

Edited by Hedgecutter

59 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Came across a lot of tight people over the years, many earning a considerable amount of money. There’s guys at my work who make themselves a sandwich from the work canteen and stick it in their bag, to save buying something to eat on the way home.

I take it your still offshore? He puts in his bag for the train?!

4 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Yes. There was certainly one in our old place who would do it, and I’ve met or two in my new work. 

You'd be daft not to tbf. Make exactly what you want instead of buying some shite from the station.