The 'Tremendous' Tales of Tightfistedness Thread

My father and his father (and probably his father) have always been fairly efficient at saving money, whether it be splitting the two-ply toilet paper in the event of light business (exactly how my mother knew her father-in-law did this still intrigues me), or hiding me in the car boot (access via fold down back seat) to avoid certain admission fares*.

Have other P&Bers witnessed any other ridiculous cheapskatery in their time?  If required, you can always blame any ingenuity on a friend, colleague, or family member.

*My brothers would eventually want a slice of the action as we would fight for the right to temporarily share a dark and rather enclosed space with a spare tyre. Great times.  Of course, adult HC does not condone such reckless behaviour. 

Edited by Hedgecutter

A guy I worked with died in a road accident and his wife phoned in and asked for the contents of his locker to be sent to her. His locker was opened and they phoned her to say that there was only a packet of sugar and an opened jar of coffee. She told them just to post them out to her.

I know a guy who recycles teabags. As in, when in company with a group of people, he'll fish the used teabags out of the bin and take them home to re-use. In his defence he appears to be moderately to highly autistic.

11 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Hiding me in the car boot (access via fold down back seat) to avoid certain admission fares

Had to do that once, at Crail. Pretty certain he ripped off my neighbour as we took his son along too. 

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

A guy at my work had a mega set-to with whoever it is that does the random red diesel testing in a B&Q car park because he wanted the sample diesel back. He is absolutely formidable when it comes to coin.

There is somebody at B&Q asking for samples of diesel?! :huh:

4 minutes ago, Dele said:

Had to do that once, at Crail. Pretty certain he ripped off my neighbour as we took his son along too. 

They were just parked there. HMRC I think it is that carry out the checks is it?

Anyway they met their match that day. 

3 minutes ago, Dele said:

Probably has a folder full of colour charts, making sure the diesel colouring is still Ruby Starlet rather than Raspberry Bellini or Redcurrant Glory.

I really don’t get this, at all. Mainly referring to the above posts about drinks here. To be fair I’m a bit of a soft c**t and would never see anybody stuck.
I’m lucky that in my group of mates, if someone is a bit short - even for an extended period of time, everyone else just takes up the slack & it’s expected that when circumstances change, they’ll also take up the slack.
I know this is a terrible generalisation, but I find English people to be particularly bad at rounds in the bar, maybe just my experience.

Guest bernardblack

Not a tremendous tale, but it annoys me when out with couples that every single person individually buys a round....then there are a couple who “buy their round”

I really don’t get this, at all. Mainly referring to the above posts about drinks here. To be fair I’m a bit of a soft c**t and would never see anybody stuck.
I’m lucky that in my group of mates, if someone is a bit short - even for an extended period of time, everyone else just takes up the slack & it’s expected that when circumstances change, they’ll also take up the slack.
I know this is a terrible generalisation, but I find English people to be particularly bad at rounds in the bar, maybe just my experience.

Whilst you are correct that its a huge generalisation, its one that I can also attest to in my experience. If I was to pick a tight nationality between Scotland and England it would be them based on experience.

23 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

I should add said person earns a very comfortable living.

These folk normally do in my experience. 

My old boss, minted beyond belief, once claimed a glass of tap water on expenses which he was charged about 20p for one time.  He argued with the hotel about having to pay for it but they charged him anyway and he demanded a receipt. 

32 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

This.  But only folk from the south.   

It's always folk with money who're tight as a drum.  

33 minutes ago, bernardblack said:

Not a tremendous tale, but it annoys me when out with couples that every single person individually buys a round....then there are a couple who “buy their round”

This. I always feel cheap for bringing it up but if I am out with couples it should be expected that each couple should buy two rounds to me one. I end up just saying f**k all and getting annoyed.

A boss at work refused to chip in £5 for 'finger food' at a girls leaving do as he "didn't have much food" even though this was a blatant lie. Amazes me how people can be so grippy when it comes to going out. c***s that would rather drink in X place as pints are 10-50p cheaper, how much are you really saving yourself cunto.

30 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

These folk normally do in my experience. 

My old boss, minted beyond belief, once claimed a glass of tap water on expenses which he was charged about 20p for one time.  He argued with the hotel about having to pay for it but they charged him anyway and he demanded a receipt. 

To be fair, I'd have done the same. If they were going to be pissy about giving me a glass of tap water, I'd set out to inconvenience them as much as I could just to annoy them. Ask for a receipt, claim the glass is dirty, and so on.

1 minute ago, Gaz said:

To be fair, I'd have done the same. If they were going to be pissy about giving me a glass of tap water, I'd set out to inconvenience them as much as I could just to annoy them. Ask for a receipt, claim the glass is dirty, and so on.

Hiya Ravi, Hiya Pal!