Clyde Vs Elgin City

This has just made my morning.....Cheers!
Sink us and we'll sink you! [emoji14]

Deserved to win last night and like Saturday could have won by more. Scored 5 goals in 2 home games but have missed a number of great chances.

Elgin offered a bit more than Stirling. They passed the ball about well at times and stopped Currie from playing out from the back by leaving two up front. We had to defend deeply at times in the second half but Currie dealt with everything that came his way.

Good pass and finish for the first Clyde goal and should have had more with Goodwillie missing a sitter and Gourlay making an excellent save right on half time.

Second half we should have scored again but Rankin hit the post. Elgin came back into the game before we got the second from the corner. Thought it hard to tell if it was Rumsby or an own goal. Game was pretty much over at 2-0.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, nickCFC58 said:

Surely not? Boyle is class on the ball, creative and young. A bit more experience and we could punt him for a fair bit

Doesn't do enough for me pushed off the ball far too easily, doesn't score enough goals, pulls out of challenges, doesn't track back and worse of all you hardly notice he's playing.

3 hours ago, clyde_r_us said:

Me too

Me three. 

Although according to the managerial God that is Stuart Miller, our entire squad (with the exception of Goodwillie) is nowhere near good enough for the dizzy heights of League 1. 

Me three. 
Although according to the managerial God that is Stuart Miller, our entire squad (with the exception of Goodwillie) is nowhere near good enough for the dizzy heights of League 1. 

Utter pish, keep this squad together with a few useful additions and we would be closer to the top of league one than the bottom.

No surprise to hear a clown like miller coming out with that.

I just wanted to say that despite a potentially bad tempered match, I am pleased to say there was zero disappointing behaviour from Clyde fans. Wishing I had put a bet on Omar getting booked though, would have been easy money.

Felt like a very routine performance for us last night. A few scary moments where Elgin should have taken their chances, but we had plenty of our own at the other end. A full month since Goodie has scored from open play, hopefully this flat patch is just him saving his goals for the playoffs. Banksy shows flashes of class that suggest he will be able to play at a higher level if he continues to develop as a player.

I almost wish Peterhead had won last night, its the hope that kills you.

29 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

Utter pish, keep this squad together with a few useful additions and we would be closer to the top of league one than the bottom.

No surprise to hear a clown like miller coming out with that.

Did he say that last night?

Must admit was a bit surprised he was guest last night. He actually had a bit of an argument last season with some guys around were I sit when he was here as part of a visiting team backroom lot (can’t remember who). Came across as an absolute Dick that night. To be honest I only really thought he had been out of his depth but decent enough guy. Changed my opinion that night.

He's got a pretty good reputation as a scout and has been chief scout/director of football at Stranraer across the last couple of seasons, I believe. When in post at Clyde he seemed like a genuinely nice guy who was just completely and utterly out of his depth, and his recruitment was pretty woeful as well (a few gems aside). If we were to be promoted then I'd want upgrades on last night's XI in a few areas, but the vast majority of our squad is good enough to compete reasonably at League 1 level.

3 minutes ago, TheBigGuy said:

Thought Goodwillie was really poor last night. Regressed imo not only from the seasons opening but also last year. 

He's just frustrated at not scoring so tries even harder and it doesn't come off so he gets even more frustrated at himself, once he scores again I'm sure it will all fall into place 

3 minutes ago, TheBigGuy said:

Thought Goodwillie was really poor last night. Regressed imo not only from the seasons opening but also last year. 

By his standards I would agree to a point; however still way up there and indeed ahead in comparison to rest of the league. Didn't really come off for him last night but on the other hand if you watch his movement etc he occupies all 4 of the opposition back line and creates space for others constantly. I agree if you are looking for him to score every week then yes he has not been as effective in that dept, but still a massive influence on the shape and the way the team play. Did miss a sitter have to agree with that in the first half.

Remember he is still protecting his arm I suspect.  

Goodwillie has definitely regressed and will have been doing so since he last played full-time, but he's still some way to go before he regresses to the point of being a part-time level player. Last night's was one of the poorest games he's had in a while, and his frustration at not scoring more goals has been visible both in his reactions to mistakes and his tendency to try to do a bit much with the ball. He could do with realising more often that his mere presence within an attack allied to his movement causes enough bother to defences, and that simply receiving the ball and playing a quick five-yard pass can be as effective as successfully rolling 3 defenders on his own. Still wouldn't swap him for any other striker below the Championship though, even if he performed like last night in every game. I hope for his sake he can score a few soon because his sheer work ethic, never mind his ability, merits it. I felt last night that he was coming deep too often to do what Boyle and Banks should've been, receiving passes in the midfield area and trying to launch attacks. That he has such a licence to roam and impact the game wherever he can is a good thing, but I think we could do with that being put into practice more sparingly. He's at his absolute best making runs into the channels and in behind (when there is a linesman that can keep up with play).

Stuart Millar really is a clown. Team not good enough for league one although goodwillie is & he’s actually capable of playing 4 divisions higher, yes that’s right 4 divisions!

Not to mention Barry Ferguson who according to Millar was a very good manager. 

I’m of an age that I’ve never watched him play & can only judge on his managerial impact at the club. We still only had single figure points come February. That is atrocious & was really quite surprised he was invited along as a guest. The club don’t owe him anything & shouldn’t be dishing out freebies to him. 

Me three. 

Strange. I heard him say we could hold our own in league one and went on to say that we beat them fair and square in the league cup and played Stranraer in a friendly recently and "pummeled them" the whole game.

I too heard him say we would struggle in league 1. Along with if Stranraer play us in playoffs he would be cheering on them. As well as saying Barry was a great manager, Goodie could play 4 levels higher in Scotland. Why would you ever say some of those things as a guest of the club, just keep your lips sealed. 

1 hour ago, bhoonaman said:

Strange. I heard him say we could hold our own in league one and went on to say that we beat them fair and square in the league cup and played Stranraer in a friendly recently and "pummeled them" the whole game.

Sorry but he did say we would struggle unless we completely overhaul the squad. I was only glad the players weren't in the lounge to hear his bs. One of the least inspiring speakers I've ever encountered so little wonder he failed so spectacularly at managing us.

As for "pummelling" Stranraer, he did indeed say that. What you failed to hear was his sneery wee aside that it was Stranraer Reserves. The guy is obviously still sore over his sacking all those years ago and despite being invited by us as special guest for the night,  chose to use the opportunity to rip into us.  Utterly pathetic. 

Sorry but he did say we would struggle unless we completely overhaul the squad. I was only glad the players weren't in the lounge to hear his bs. One of the least inspiring speakers I've ever encountered so little wonder he failed so spectacularly at managing us.
As for "pummelling" Stranraer, he did indeed say that. What you failed to hear was his sneery wee aside that it was Stranraer Reserves. The guy is obviously still sore over his sacking all those years ago and despite being invited by us as special guest for the night,  chose to use the opportunity to rip into us.  Utterly pathetic. 

Ah. Fair enough then. I was struggling a bit to hear everything as those around me were talking. I did hear the BF comment though and laughed.

Stuart Millar. That him that signed Sweeney, Hutchinson, Henderson and all those other good players, ultimately seeing to it that we finished as Scotland's worst senior team, the only grace being that pyramid hadn't yet been fully realised?

Aye.

You're the caretaker Stuart. You've always been the caretaker...

Archived